Blyss Sarania

Honorable
Oct 4, 2013
Background:
AMD FX6300 @ 4.12Ghz and 1.425 volts
ASrock 880 GM LE FX Mobo
Coolermaster Seldon 120v water cooling unit
EVGA 500B 500 Watt PSU

I don't think anything else there is relevant.

I built this system back in the fall of 2013. It has worked great, but even at stock speeds the stock cooler was nearly useless. Before today, the CPU under heavy load would work it's way up to 70C and then start throttling itself. The freq would drop to 2ghz range until it cooled, and then back to 4.12Ghz. Basically whatever it needed to keep the CPU right around 70C.

So I installed the water cooling unit. It seems to be functioning great. So I start up prime95 and run a stress test and the temp tops out at about 54C. After about 2 minutes, with the temperature still at 54C the cpu will drop to 1.4GHZ and the VID to 0.9 something. The temperature drops rapidly of course, and then it will pop back to 4.12. It repeats this cycle approximately every 30 seconds. 30 at 1.4, 30 at 4.2, over and over and over. The temp doesn't matter.

I tried disabling CnQ.
I went back to stock speed and voltage.
I even disabled cpu thermal throttling in in my bios.

Nothing helps.

I have no idea what is going on but this is not what is supposed to be happening. Any ideas? Don't be afraid to get technical as I have an associates degree in computer science.

Solution

DComander1x

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

Id suggest getting an Asus or Gigabyte board with a heatsink on the VRMs, as that is most likely why your FX 6 core is throttling.

Solution

Blyss Sarania

Honorable
Oct 4, 2013
Yeah after doing some investigating it seems to be the VRMs as they are ridiculously hot.

Unfortunately buying another board is way out of the question. It took me 6 months to be able to work the cooler in to my budget.

DComander1x

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
Oh, I guess the only solution would be to reset the CPU back to stock until you can replace the motherboard.
Also, I had bought the same board, though, instead of throttling my CPU, it fried on me after about 4 to 5 months, and had to RMA it, and the replacement also fried on me with in the same time frame, so I replaced it with a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3, and so far, have had 0 issues with it.

Blyss Sarania

Honorable
Oct 4, 2013
Wow ironic. I ended up frying the asrock myself because of a stupid mistake I made trying to somehow get some cooling on those VRM. Even though it wasn't in the budget I had to buy a new mobo and I actually chose the Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 and ordered it last night. Then I read this this morning lol. Hopefully the Gigabyte will work out because that Asrock has been one headache after another. My previous Asrock budget board was rock solid for years but this one, the 880 GM LE FX I would not recommend! I will post back in a few days when the new mobo comes.

DComander1x

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

Lol, damn, and you will be very happy with the gigabyte - I was able, with good cooling, to reach 4.8 GHz stable with a 5 Ghz turbo, and so far, it hasn't fried on me or anything yet.
I wouldn't reccomend that Asrock board or a MSI board - the 970A-G46 either, due to VRM issues, of which both fried on me right after the other, so I read online gigabyte was one of the two best companies for boards, so I picked up the 78LMT-USB3, and so far, its payed for itself in terms of stability and reliability.
For a future build, another good AM3/AM3+ board is the Asus M5A78L-M USB3 - have it with a AM3 Athlon II X4 630 and its been rock solid - managed to OC it to 3.22 GHz stable.

TRENDING THREADS