AMD FX 6300 upgrade for Microsoft Mixed Reality

mrtzr

Prominent
May 5, 2017
Hi,
So, I've never upgraded a processor before, and when testing the Microsft Mixed Reality Dev, It recommended a processor upgrade, which in return I'd love to upgrade my graphics card later to one that supports virtual reality (Oculus Rift) in the future. Yes I know those are two very different things....
So, would an upgrade to an i7 be possible, and/or recommended? Or better?
...Sorry if I'm too vague on the recommended specs for both Mixed Reality and the Oculus.
Here's what I'm dealing with currently....
Processor 3.5 GHz FX-Series Six-Core FX-6300
RAM 16 GB DDR3
Hard Drive 1000 GB SATA
Graphics Coprocessor Nvidia GeForce GT 740
Card Description dedicated
Graphics Card Ram Size 2048 MB

Jwpanz

Honorable
I would upgrade to something like an i7 7700 or a Ryzen 5 1500. They will significantly boost your results in Microsoft Mixed Reality and will crush VR with a decent GPU.

Speaking of decent GPU's, I would recommend either a GTX 1070 or, for a bit less money and horsepower, an RX 580 8GB. They will handle VR and the Oculus just fine.

If you want a cheaper route then you'll have to stick with hardware from past generations. If you only want to upgrade your processor without giving up your RAM and motherboard then you could buy an FX 8350 or 8370. It would be a one-for-one swap of CPU's and you could keep the rest of your current system intact. It would be a waste, in my opinion, as the FX line is aging badly compared to options out there currently. But, you would save a lot of money.

It's always difficult trying to find out where to spend your money for the most out your hardware. My general rule is to buy current generation hardware now so as to not fall behind sooner.

mrtzr

Prominent
May 5, 2017

Jwpanz: Thanks so much for the very thorough answer. That really helped a lot, and answered my question 100%. I typically don't ask questions in forums for the typical troll response or something of the sort. I Really appreciate it!
The I7 770 looks really promising, Those are about the prices I was expecting, Thank goodness VR capable hardware came down pretty quick! I'm going to look into all of those options. A+ response man.