AMD FX 8120 Black 8-core vs. i5 2500k Sandy Bridge Quad-Core

djrv52

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Hello,

First time posting here.

Looking to build a new computer for gaming within the next few weeks and I have limited knowledge about the subject. For a while I was set on the i5 2500k with Micro Center offering a great Black Friday special for $150. However, I recently have been looking at the AMD FX-8120 Black 8-core which is on sale for $200 and has caught my attention.

My question is simply what is the better purchase for my money? I have read a bit on the Bulldozer technology and how people are saying that it is mainly meant for servers and has had lacking benchmark performances for gaming but the 8-core just seems too enticing. Or, if there is a better CPU out there for >200 I would be interested.

Also, I could use some advice on a good motherboard for both CPUs. I'm not looking to do SLI or Crossfire if that makes a difference.

Thank you very much!

It's your video card
It's your video card
It's your video card
It's your video card
It's your video card

:lol:

But yah can't beat a 2500k for $150; and most games will play just dandy on dual-cores.

I think the best MC deal I've seen so far is the Asus M5A87 AM3+ with the PhII 970 for $200.

phatbuddha79

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009
Most games these days hardly use more than 2-3 cores let alone 8. 8 is so far off and by the way, AMD's implementation of these 8 cores are broken IMO. Power hog of a cpu that has a tough time knowing what to do with itself.

Sorry ... I tend to disagree with grand proclamations of 'superior gaming CPUs'

cpu%20scaling.png

From Tom's Battlefield 3 Performance: 30+ Graphics Cards, Benchmarked

It's your video card
It's your video card
It's your video card
It's your video card
It's your video card

And it looks as if the Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GB at the Egg is the best pre- black Friday deal so far -- will take a nice over-clock and most likely a shader unlock to a 6970. Also from the above article ...

amd%20high%201920.png

If you are an nVidia guy ...

nvidia%20high%201920.png

And if that HD69502GB floats yer boat (it should!) this should help yah out ...

hd6950-powerup.jpg

A 600w PSU with good, clean power should more than handle your new rig -- you will never reach 'FurMark' power draws.

loneninja

Distinguished
^ Its already been beaten to death that most review sites used single player to benchmark Battlefield 3, that includes TomsHardware. Actual performance benchmarks from online mutliplayer show a huge difference between dual and quad core.

Here is the only review of online non beta play I know of, look at how unplayable the game is on a Phenom II X2, it's a shame no english site has posted real results.
http://www.sweclockers.com/artikel/14650-prestandaanalys-battlefield-3/5#pagehead

jerry6

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

There goes the PIIX4 is as good as the PII X6 mantra , or can the x4 crowd explain these results ?

Man ... talk about cherry-picking benchmarks. Anandtech? And an HD6990 dual-GPU video card from "Prestandaanalys"? LOL I give thanks today that some of you guys aren't incarcerated.

The PhII 970 with the Asus M5A87 from MC is $200. Read the OP:

if there is a better CPU out there for >200 I would be interested.

Also, I could use some advice on a good motherboard for both CPUs. I'm not looking to do SLI or Crossfire if that makes a difference.

Do you see any comment where I 'dissed your beloved 2500k? Did you even to bother to read my first response to the OP? The OP can spend all the cash he wants on his CPU, but ...

It's your video card
It's your video card
It's your video card
It's your video card
It's your video card

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz: $105

Gigabyte GA-880GMA-USB3 AM3+ SATA 6Gb/s USB 3: $93 before $10 rebate

Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GB: $265 before $20 rebate

Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650w: $80 before $20 rebate

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600: $30

$573 - $50 rebates = $523

Throw in an OCZ Agility 3 120GB SATA III SSD -- be sure to update the firmware before installing the OS.

Other than having to pester OCZ for their rebate, you cannot beat this deal for a gaming rig.

[:jaydeejohn:5]

Methinks the OP got scared off by all the fanboyism. He has decided to just go with an XBox 360 or maybe a Wii :D..

Anyway, if he does show up around here again, I'd agree with anything like a Phenom2 955 (oc'd a bit) and above, since it doesn't seem like he is going all-out.

But if it were my build, I'd wait a bit and see how Ivy Bridge and one of those 28nm GPUs (AMD 7XXX or NV 6XX series) does in the reviews. Might be a few months wait, but probably well worth it IMO..

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
I know you mentioned you weren't going to be doing SLI and Crossfire but: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/11/03/amd_fx8150_multigpu_gameplay_performance_review/1

Yeah... the Video card is often the bottleneck. When it is not... AMDs processor (FX-8150 in this case) is even only able to muster 1/2 the performance of a 2500K in several instances (overclocking the FX-8150 is about the same as overclocking a 2500K so you're not going to get any bonus there).

So yes... AMD processors are made for basic needs and basic gaming. Once you start to go more highend on the GPU front (maybe for 3D Vision, maybe for Eyeinfinity) Intel becomes the only logical choice right now.