[SOLVED] AMD FX-8150 jumps up to 200°C during gaming, causing a drop in fps

Apr 28, 2020
My rig should run older games perfectly fine most of the time (e.g CSGO, Minecraft) but the CPU temp jumps up to 200°C randomly, throttling the CPU and dropping fps down to single figures, and then after roughly 10 seconds gameplay resumes back to normal and the CPU temp drops slowly back to normal, reeling back from 200 to 180 etc. I know that if my CPU did actually get this hot then it would be a puddle of metal on my floor so I'm positive that there's no issues with my cooling, as idle temps are normal. I've read elsewhere on the internet that it is the type of motherboard I have installed, and they recommended that it should be swapped out, however, I would rather try to solve this problem without having to spend the money to replace my motherboard. I have installed the most recent version of the BIOS that could find on the MSI website but this made no difference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Specs:

CPU: AMD FX-8150
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 760 2GB
RAM: 1x8GB DDR3
MOTHERBOARD: MSI 760GM-P23
PSU: EVGA 600 W1, 80+ WHITE 600W
STORAGE: 2TB HDD SEAGATE

Solution

Your problem right here, 125w CPU on one of MSI's lowest end boards only rated for 95w.

Turning off Turbo and locking it at 3.6 ghz above MIGHT help, but TBH it may still have issues.

DO not spend extra money on this system. Its a dead platform, you may need to downclock more, but if you determine to replace the motherboard, save your money and buy a newer Ryzen based system. Spending money making this work is a waste.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Your problem right here, 125w CPU on one of MSI's lowest end boards only rated for 95w.

Turning off Turbo and locking it at 3.6 ghz above MIGHT help, but TBH it may still have issues.

DO not spend extra money on this system. Its a dead platform, you may need to downclock more, but if you determine to replace the motherboard, save your money and buy a newer Ryzen based system. Spending money making this work is a waste.

Solution
Apr 28, 2020

I would ideally love to upgrade to a new CPU and motherboard, but I'm not in a financial position to buy the new ram, cpu and motherboard. I have however looked at alternative motherboards with the am3+ socket and the 125w requirement for the 8150. Would the ASROCK 760GM-HDV be a suitable replacement, or are there better?

I would ideally love to upgrade to a new CPU and motherboard, but I'm not in a financial position to buy the new ram, cpu and motherboard. I have however looked at alternative motherboards with the am3+ socket and the 125w requirement for the 8150. Would the ASROCK 760GM-HDV be a suitable replacement, or are there better?

It wouldn't be much better. The problem with the 125 Watt FX CPUs is they need a strong VRM with heatsinks to avoid throttling, and you just don't see that on the lower end boards. Out of the low end AM3+ boards I think only the Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 could handle the 8 core FX CPUs, and even then only barely. You'd have to look at midrange to high end boards eg. 970 or 990FX chipset. The MSI 970 Gaming was probably one of the best value options for the 8 core FX CPUs back in the day, though I doubt you'd find one new now, you'd probably have to scour the used market.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Do not buy a 760G based motherboard for a 125w CPU, you're going from one bad to another. Also its hard to even find these things new. There was only one Gigabyte the 78LMT that could even sniff working right with it.

IMO go into the BIOS shut off turbo and see if you can lower the clocks to 3.4ghz max and see how that does for stability. Spending ANY money on a new board is a waste, because you could be saving that money to buy even a low end Ryzen board/cpu/ram which you can do for around $200 if you find the right deals.