Amd fx 8150 overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shimundo

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
My cpu has been overheating to the point of shutdown I've changed the thermal paste 3 times using AS5. I've made sure the heatsink is seated properly and the fan is spinning in the bios the temps can reach up to 70c if i just let it sit there for about 10 minutes.I'm using the stock fan and all stock bios settings

Specs
CPU-amd fx 8150 3.6 ghz

GPU-gtx 550 ti

PSU- xtremegear 750w

Motherboard-ASUS m5a97

Case-thermal take commander ms-i id

Solution
Interesting, your core temperatures are a bit on the *warm* side but the CPU temperature is hot. Most people say to worry about the core temperatures..

Quite a gap between the core temperatures and the CPU, take a look at mine:
Temp.jpg

Can you invest in a new CPU cooler? The Hyper 212 EVO performs just as good as the Kuhler 620 (I have that in my build, and as you can see the temperatures are quite good).

socialfox

Distinguished
How much of thermal paste did you put? Also did you alter anything with the CPU voltage? Are there any obstructions blocking the fan for the stock cooler?

Too much thermal paste is bad...
Check to see if the cooler slides or wiggles when installed...if it does we have an issue. Also any major scratches on the base of the heatsink?

Shimundo

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012

I used the grain of rice method and the cpu voltage in the bios is at 1.3v. And the heatsink barely budges when i wiggle it.No scratches either, nor anything blocking the fan.

socialfox

Distinguished

You happen to have a thermal gun? If so measure the heatsink's temperatures or any exposed part of the processor, it wont give you the processor temperatures but something around it. Or just touch the heatsink with your finger (not into the fan) and feel if it's really that hot. Also do you know the RPM the fan is spinning at?

It could be a defective motherboard temperature sensor since you:
a) Applied the proper amount of thermal paste (rice grain size)
b) Made sure the heatsink is secure
c)The fan is connected and running
d) No scratches on the heatsink
e) Made sure no obstructions to the fan

Technically, with all those done above, you should be expecting normal temperatures.

Shimundo

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
Can't take a picture but i have a link of the case and i have 1 120mm fan in the front, the exaust in the back, and a fan right where my gpu is.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133190

i agree, using more than one fan will help, u can also get a coolermaster 212 evo for under 35$, and check if you have the latest bios somethimes can give wrong temperature, also its possible ur thermal sensor on ur motherboard is defective, so if after doing all the above still show high temps id contact ur motherboard company to get an rma possibly if its causing u further problems

socialfox

Distinguished
Interesting, your core temperatures are a bit on the *warm* side but the CPU temperature is hot. Most people say to worry about the core temperatures..

Quite a gap between the core temperatures and the CPU, take a look at mine:
Temp.jpg

Can you invest in a new CPU cooler? The Hyper 212 EVO performs just as good as the Kuhler 620 (I have that in my build, and as you can see the temperatures are quite good).

Solution

Shimundo

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012

Do you think the hyper 212 evo will fit in my case?

jaky_19

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013

WHY AMD is not providing the heavy cpu cooler many of my friends are having same overheating problem

Status
Not open for further replies.