AMD FX-8320 (CPU Suggestions)

mrethan

Reputable
Nov 23, 2015
Hello Guys,

I'm curious what some of you think of the AMD FX-8320, I'm probably going to purchase it but im not sure if I should because, well..we're talking AMD here and I try play a lot of FPS games that require a decent rig like Fallout 4, Dying Light, Just Cause 3. If any of you have had the AMD FX-8320 or do have it please give me your opinion and review on it.

Or if I shouldn't get it, can you please suggest me another CPU around it's price range which is $150-180
I was also probably going to pick up a GTX 950.

SPECS

-----------------------
Motherboard: MSI 760GM-P34
Processor: AMD FX-6300 3.5 ghz
RAM: 8GB
Graphics: AMD Radeon R7 200

Solution

Very first upgrade you should make is to upgrade your GPU, I think everyone an agree on that:D Try overclocking your 6300 and see if you can get a little more out of the processor, pick up an aftermarket cooler like Hyper 212 EVO. If you need more processing power then you can decide your CPU upgrade path.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
AMD eight core CPU's are sadly not. They are more like a Quad core CPU with 2 threads per core. True the threads are more core like then intel's hyperthreads but AMD is neck deep in a lawsuit now because of their misrepresentation of core counts. FX8000 series cards cannot execute 8 commands at the same time...just four.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/11/amd-sued-over-allegedly-misleading-bulldozer-core-count/

I've got a FX 8370 and R9 290. There isn't any AAA title that has come out recently that I can't max out on ultra @ 1080p. The latest game I installed Fallout 4 is no exception- ultra settings 1080p @ 60FPS. Dying Light I run all ultra 1080p 60+ FPS. Everyone sees AMD and just auto says it can't game, this isn't the case at all. Yes Intel will have better single core performance but the 4460 listed above will get smoked by my system in any multithreaded application or game. Games are becoming more and more multithreaded all the time and with DX 12 its only going to make multithreading more prevalent. Your best bet would be to upgrade your GPU and see if you can overclock your FX 6300 a bit (with your motherboard your not going to get much but can probably kick it up a little bit) before making a decision to upgrade the processor. If you do have to upgrade the processor with your motherboard I would suggest FX 8370E. Switching to Intel will require not only a new processor but a new motherboard as well and will be out of your budget.

1) I agree on Intel, but then you'd require a new motherboard and copy of Windows too.

2) the FX-8320 is also not much different from the FX-6300

3) A GTX950 will make a huge difference though.

Summary:
I'd stick with just buying a better GPU, then upgrade down the road. Heck, when DX12 games start coming out we may see minimal CPU bottleneck from your FX-6300 (for those games only).

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
very true I should have mentioned it was a platform upgrade which would include a new motherboard and possibly ram though you may get by with the 8GB you have depending on voltages DDR3 <1.65v if overclocked 1.5v if not. if you can't afford it you can try to overclock your CPU if you have a proper after market cooler. If not you could invest in one abut keep in mind an overclock will only get you a slight bump in performance. Obviously a CPU/motherboard upgrade would add to your costs but if you can it would be your best bet CPU wise. Ultimately a faster GPU would be your short term fix.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador

second that. haven't seen a benchmark yet to back that up with the exception of 4k. At 4k an arguement can be made.

http://www.tweaktown.com/tweakipedia/58/core-i7-4770k-vs-amd-fx-8350-with-gtx-980-vs-gtx-780-sli-at-4k/index.html

but if he is gaming at anything lower then 4k Intel spanks AMD up and down the board core for core clock for clock.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/2182-fallout-4-cpu-benchmark-huge-performance-difference

Fallout 4 isn't well threaded, but it's on your list.

The bad news is any modern quad-core Intel beats your CPU (I'll just use the FX-8320E results here). The good news is it still averaged 50FPS with a half decent graphics card.

Update: that's with a GTX980Ti I believe... regardless, your average FPS would be lower at those settings, but then the CPU difference would be less compared to the Intel CPU's as well (the better the GPU the more likely the CPU is a bottleneck, thus the WORSE the GPU the more likely the CPU will not be a bottleneck... make sense?)

Play with the settings and there's no reason an FX-6300 + GTX950 can't be a good experience.

Lots of other games aren't as CPU bottlenecked. This is probably near the worst-case due to the aging engine in the game (similar to Skyrim's).

In all multithreaded benchmarks the FX 8370 is ahead of the i5 4460. When the entire processor is able to be benchmarked the FX 8370 pulls away from the i5 4460, in single threaded benchmarks the i5 beats the 8370. First quick search I did for performance of FX 8370 vs i5 4460:
http://www.pc-specs.com/cpu/comparison-versus/2210/2076/fx-8370-vs-core-i5-4460-3-2ghz

Um.. what proof is that exactly?

You gave me a link showing the FX-8370 has a score of "9.4" with the i5-4460 getting a score of "9.0"?

Also, I specified GAMES not applications.

Something else to consider is DX 12 will allow all cores of a processor to communicate with a GPU instead of just 1 as with the current DX 11 standard. DX11 imprinted Intel's superiority in gaming because of their single core performance, DX 12 will allow FX processors to game with no fear of bottlenecking the GPU. There some games that are still CPU intensive, but more and more AAA title games are GPU dependent and utilizing more cores all the time. When it comes down to it the OPs budget puts an upgrade of the GPU top priority. If overclocking on his board doesn't produce good enough results the best CPU upgrade option is FX 8370E as the 8350 or 8370 are going to be a bit much for that motherboard.

The little plus marks under gaming give scores for individual games well
;)

Really if your not running Fraps over every game you play you will never see the difference between FX 8370 and i5 4460 in most every newer GPU intensive game. The OP is looking for the best upgrade path on a budget, telling him to switch over motherboard and processor to gain 5 FPS here or there isn't giving him the best advice considering he will already need a new GPU.

mrethan

Reputable
Nov 23, 2015
You guys are complaining about what is better here,

I'm only asking to leave suggestions or give me ideas what to do improve my rig.

If I get a GTX 950, will my other parts be able to handle it like my processor?

Very first upgrade you should make is to upgrade your GPU, I think everyone an agree on that:D Try overclocking your 6300 and see if you can get a little more out of the processor, pick up an aftermarket cooler like Hyper 212 EVO. If you need more processing power then you can decide your CPU upgrade path.

Solution

mrethan

Reputable
Nov 23, 2015

Upgrading my GPU to a GTX 950 is given. Glad we got that out of the way :D

Will the Hyper 212 EVO be able to work with my other given parts like my CPU
I was looking at this link http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cpu-air-cooler/hyper-212-evo/ I'm not sure if that air cooler supports my CPU, since im not the smartest person with PC's I was curious if you could check to see if it can support my CPU.

Do you think I will need more processing power if I pick up the GTX 950 and Hyper 212 EVO?

EDIT: I have the Corsair CX500M Power Supply, will I have to upgrade that to keep up with the GPU? ):

The Hyper 212 EVO will allow you to overclock your processor (provide adequate cooling) and yes it is compatible with all FX processors. The Corsair CX500M should be able to handle GTX 950 and FX 6300.

mrethan

Reputable
Nov 23, 2015

I don't know if I have that much room in my PC but we'll see. Thanks for your help redneck :)