AMD fx 8320 idle 35 Degrees with H100i GTX

digitalambassador

Reputable
Nov 29, 2014
why is my temp so high with the corsair H100i GTX. My room temp is roughly 22 degrees Celsius. I haven't over clocked at all yet due to tempratures. That is with the pump on performance and the fans on balance on the h100i GTX.

Solution

1) piledriver cpu "core" temps are rarely accurately reported
2) 35C is hardly warm
3) cpu coolers are MORE effective the hotter your cpu gets. the closer to room temp it is, the less the cpu cooler will help

green giant 2

Reputable
Mar 12, 2015

it shouldnt be at 35 degrees.
i have the fx-6300 and a h60 liquid cooler and i idle at 8 degrees with a push pull config.
where is the liquid block plugged into? fan header or cpu fan?
in the BIOS what is the speed of the appropriate fan/cpu header if it is below about 4400rpm then it needs to be higher to get the water around the block.

also it might run higher if you dont have fans either side of the radiator.

also what thermal paste are you using? and what is the coverage like?

if it is stock thermal paste use isopropyl alcohol to remove the old thermal paste and re apply artic cooling paste or something else of high quality.

1) piledriver cpu "core" temps are rarely accurately reported
2) 35C is hardly warm
3) cpu coolers are MORE effective the hotter your cpu gets. the closer to room temp it is, the less the cpu cooler will help

Solution

It can not be 8 degrees unless your room is 6 degrees or cooler. The temperature sensors on those cpus are just messed up at lower temperatures. In your case the boards software may be more accurate.

green giant 2

Reputable
Mar 12, 2015

im refering to my core temp... the socket temp is roughly 25-30 degrees....motherboard temps is usually 25-28 degrees.

Unless you are using liquid nitrogen, an 8 degree temp is kind of ridiculous, and far lower than the air temp of the ambient environment which would be breaking the laws of physics.

My CPU temp is usually around 38 degrees. Recall that body temp is 37 degrees so this is hardly warm for a CPU.

So you think the core is cooler than the air that is cooling it? The cpu would actually be cooling the heat sink.

The sensor is just not accurate at lower temperatures. It becomes accurate soon enough to prevent cpu damage from overheating.

barto

Expert
Ambassador

Shame on you for using logic.

green giant 2

Reputable
Mar 12, 2015

noted, inb4 i no longer trust temperature monitoring software Kappa

digitalambassador

Reputable
Nov 29, 2014

Well, the problem with that is that I'm not at that computer anymore (wont be back on that one till sunday), but from the other answers it seems to be fine

its not the software it's the way those chips monitor temp. piledriver has some known "bugs" to it's core temp reporting, starting with the biggest bug being that AMD doesn't actually put a thermometer on the cpu. the temp is predicted based on a mathematical algorithm.

many piledriver cpus simply stop reporting accurate temps when the temp falls under 40C, my own piledriver stops reporting accurate temps at 36C, anything under that is reported as -9C. Furthermore "accurate" is a relative term with piledriver. Many people use the "socket" temp to judge the core temp, so in overclocking guides for piledriver you'll see some mention of different places taking the temp of the cpu... typically if the cpu is reporting it's temps "accurately" (or what passes for accurate) it will report a temp roughly -10C colder then the socket temp on the motherboard. so if your cpu is reporting a 60C temp, and your motherboard claims a 70C on the cpu socket then you can assume the cpu is reporting something resembling an accurate temp.