AMD-FX-8320 overclocking help

dogger20011

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
Hi, I've been tinkering with the FX 8320 for the past few days and I have a few questions. So I was setting it at 4.8ghz (I have good enough cooling) and I need to know a good voltage. I heard once that 1.5v is the highest you should go. But I get the blue screen of death with only 1.5. When i try 1.55 it seems to run quite well, but I dont know if its safe. Also, I probably wouldnt do this, but I want to know if this chip can get to 5.0ghz+. I understand that water cooling would be needed, but how far can you push this thing? Thanks

My Specs:
Mobo: Biostar TA970 Revision 5.3
Ram: Kingston HyperX 2x4gb 1660mhz
CPU: AMD FX 8320 (obviously lol)
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 2gb GDDR5
PSU: Corsair 750 watt 80 plus Bronze modular.

Let me know if you need any more info!

Solution
Yes, but what you're doing is going to a target number and seeing what voltage you have to crank to get there. Instead you should be going up step by small step, and then when you need more voltage, increasing it slightly, running stability tests all the way.

Just jumping straight up like that could very easily give you an unstable overclock or damage your chip if you use too much voltage / don't manage the heat well / go past what your chip can handle.

dogger20011

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014

All I'm doing is changing the voltage and the multiplier. It is the Black Edition, I did forget to mention that. If it is the wrong way, please send me a link to a tutorial to the right way, I'm new here.

dogger20011

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014

Catalyst is saying that it is set to "high performance" as that is the setting I chose in Windows. Im not sure if thats what you're talking about tho.

Yes, but what you're doing is going to a target number and seeing what voltage you have to crank to get there. Instead you should be going up step by small step, and then when you need more voltage, increasing it slightly, running stability tests all the way.

Just jumping straight up like that could very easily give you an unstable overclock or damage your chip if you use too much voltage / don't manage the heat well / go past what your chip can handle.

Solution

dogger20011

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014

Thanks for the info! What do you think the highest clock speed would be for this? Im not planning on going passed 4.5ghz in my tests, but I just want to be safe. The stock clock is 3.5ghz.

That's... not how overclocking works. What speed a chip can reach varies WILDLY and randomly. That's why you can't just go up to a number and play with the voltage.

You should be able to get up to 4.5 safely without any troubles at all, but you have to do it inch by inch so that if you DO hit a voltage wall, you know it's time to stop.