AMD FX-8320 running very cool, are temperatures inaccurate?

IntangibleWaffle

Reputable
May 3, 2014
I recently upgraded my computer with an AMD FX-8320 processor, an ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0 and a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo cooler. I'm really happy with it, it's an amazing improvement over the a4-5300 APU I had before.

However, I feel that the on-die temperatures being reported are inaccurate. My ASRock motherboard utility reports idling temperatures of 45 degrees, which is unusually high. However, AMD overdrive, speccy and HWmonitor all report idle temperatures of 25-30 degrees celcius.

Of course this seems normal, but even when I clock the processor up to 3.7-3.9 GHz and run prime95, the temperature doesn't ever go above 43 degrees, even when I have the fans set to below 1000rpm. With my 3 case fans running at their maximum speed, and the CPU fans running at their maximum speed, the temperature doesn't even go above 40 degrees. Are these temperatures accurate and should I be over the moon or are the temperatures not being reported correctly?

Update: Some screenshots

ASRock Extreme Tuning Utility:
c466s1h.png

AMD OverDrive:
2ezTAYH.png

HWMonitor:
mJS5nDn.png

Solution
The 44C reported by the ASRock UEFI is the case temp or package temp - same thing - as also shown by HWInfo. 44C is a bit high for idle unless it was say 35C or above ambient temp.

The heatsink fans don't have to point towards the socket. They cool the heatsink which draws heat from the cpu case via the thermal paste.

Your cpu cooler fan should be running at about 1000 rpm, not 775. This will bring down temps across the board including idle temps.
If it's not clear from the above comment, BOTH reported temperatures are likely correct specifically:
- core, and
- package (CPUTIN)

There are temperature sensors, one for each of the cores and one for the entire CPU placed in a separate location (hotter usually).

The specs actually tell you the maximum temp for the core, and the maximum temp for the package (they are a little different).

*Anyway, no problems I can see.

Update:
Your CORE and PACKAGE temps in the above test are all the same. I don't think that's how it's supposed to work. It seems to just be reporting the core temps as package.

IntangibleWaffle

Reputable
May 3, 2014
So, if these temperatures are accurate that means my CPU never goes more than 20 degrees above ambient? It's about 23 degrees here right now, and I have the Large FFS test running.

Additionally, the motherboard reports a CPU temperature (I assume that's the socket temperature) of 59 degrees while prime95's running. Is this a concerning temperature? Should I even bother paying attention to this temperature, as my CPU is running cool anyway?

IntangibleWaffle

Reputable
May 3, 2014
Okay, so I updated AOD. Running prime95 with small FFT and a clock of 3.9 GHz the average thermal margin is about 25-30 degrees, although it can go as low as 20 degrees. Is this accurate, and/or a good temperature?

IntangibleWaffle

Reputable
May 3, 2014

If my idle temperatures are low, you're saying I should make my fans run faster so it runs cooler? I don't understand.

IntangibleWaffle

Reputable
May 3, 2014

I've checked using quite a few different monitoring applications, and the 45 degrees at idle is the socket temperature, as reported by the motherboard. The actual temperature is lower- somewhere between 25 and 30 degrees at idle.
As my heatsink fans do not point towards the motherboard it is unlikely that increasing their speed would change the socket temperature significantly.

The 44C reported by the ASRock UEFI is the case temp or package temp - same thing - as also shown by HWInfo. 44C is a bit high for idle unless it was say 35C or above ambient temp.

The heatsink fans don't have to point towards the socket. They cool the heatsink which draws heat from the cpu case via the thermal paste.

Your cpu cooler fan should be running at about 1000 rpm, not 775. This will bring down temps across the board including idle temps.

Solution