AMD FX-8320 stock fan speeds and temperatures?

satish satz

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
this is my system specification,

CPU : AMD FX-8320
Motherboard : Gigabyte 78lmt-usb3
RAM : 8gb corsair vengeance (2x4gb)
Cabinet : Corsair carbide 200R
SMPS/PSU : corsair VS450

1) So, i have the above mentioned processor and it runs at an average temperature of about 40 degrees when using chrome for browsing, HW shows average as about 37-38 degrees. is this normal?

2) And i'm worried more about the stock fan speeds! they run at about 4100s at low usage and reach 4500s at usage and sometimes even close to 4800-5000rpm. Since this is the first time im seeing speeds above 3000rpm, (my older CPUs are core2duos :p ) im a little worried and i want to know whether these are normal? is the stock cooler designed to run at these speeds?

3) I have not overclocked or anything. Just stock everything.

lowriderflow

Distinguished
40 when brosing the web!? that's way too high!

when you say fans... you mean what? chasis fans? heatsink fan?

are you running stock BIOS... so all of the cool N queit and power/temp saving features are turned on?

if so, I'd say you have a poorly seated heatsink. pull it off, clean the heatsink and CPU, then re-paste with some decent thermal paste, and re-install

1) I wouldn't be worried about those temps at all. If it reached 45C and stayed at that temp range then I'd think it's weird. However, 37-38C is totally normal. You're good to go.

2) You should get a better cooler. Stock coolers are ok for cheap builds but yours isn't considered cheap.

btw, what GPU do you have? cuz a 450W PSU is really low for AMD builds.

satish satz

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013

well actually it was close to 40, like 38 degrees. And what cpu do you have? because I wasn't concerned a lot with temps, because i've seen CPU temps at 40-42 at browsing. right now i did a small test, i played a 720p video, browsing on chrome , and i started the kaspersky full scan., the temps are still around 43-45 degrees. the highest is like 46. And by FANS i meant the CPU cooler fans/heatsinks.

satish satz

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013

Yes i know stock coolers are bad., with this one i'm just worried about the fan speeds. And no i don't have any gpu installed right now.! i Don't even use a dvd drive and i never will. Considering to buy a 7770HD since it requires just 450w psu. Is that fine?

Also i did a small test, i started kaspersky full scan, browsing , playing a video (720p) and HW graphs on monitoring. temps are around 44-45. 46 being the highest? is this fine?

Based on your mobo choice, I don't think you are ever going to overclock. But you could buy a CoolerMaster Evo to keep the CPU cool and quiet. It'll typically run at 1200rpm, which you won't even hear, but your CPU temps will be great.

7770 is fine for a 450W PSU. Also, if you want to game at 720p you'll be fine.

satish satz

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013

Well i've got 1 cooler master 90mm and one 80mm fans which i added. while there are two fans in the case itself, one at the back near the mobo and other at the front near the HDD slots. but the front one isn't connected yet because its a 3 pin and i dont have a 3 to 4 pin adapter yet. :( and by the way, are my stock temps fine? after my small test?? and the cpu fans are quiet small! and they run close to 5000s on heavy load.!

the GPU , yes 7770HD for sometime till i get funds and then after some time i will get a 600w psu and a 660ti equal card. ;)

So, you only have 1 fan, and it is 90mm, cooling your case. That is a major issue. You should have at least 2x120mm fans. One at rear and one at front. I'd suggest getting some decent fans. Throw out the 80 and 90mm fans. They are more than likely your problem.

something1234

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013
I have a 8320 also, with a stock cooler browsing the web with chrome right now its at 13 degrees... I only have 1 120mm case fan yet while gaming it can get to 50-60 degrees sometimes it spikes to almost 70, you shouldn't be getting temps that high just web browsing. Get CPU temp and see if your cpu downclocks at all, that could be your problem if it is constantly at 3.5ghz. I'm getting a cooler master tx3 to deal with the noise problem.

jay2577

Honorable
I have my AMD 8320 overclocked @ 4Ghz with cool and quiet enabled. My temperatures are 28 degrees while browsing and can go up to 49 degrees gaming. I am using the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler. I highly recommend it as do many other people on these forums. I also have 4 case fans controlled by a fan controller to reduce noise when not gaming. 1 intake on the front of my case, 1 intake on the side, 1 exhaust on the rear of my case and 1 exhaust at the top(I have a bottom mounted PSU)

satish satz

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013

well ends up i was looking at wrong temps.! As seen from HWinfo, the CPU core temp was never higher than 25 degrees in general! i was playing battlfield 4 and it went upto 51 degrees! (the max i've ever been). I recently changed all my fans and i now have 120mm fans on sides and top! the CPU heatsink fan speed is much lower now (arnd 3k-4k) and increases only during gaming!

Yaman Bisht

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014

Dont worry max optimum temprature of amd fx8320 is 72-75 if the temprature is near to 72 or above it than u need to worry other wise its okay also if u r too worry about cpu temprature than u can change ur board b/c the board u r using is not recommended for fx 8320 but due to same socket it get fit in motherboard u have got i hav done gaming around 3 hour than the fan speed fx8320 is 5750 rpm nd stock cooler would be best cooler b/c it cools ur cpu lot with consumption of least power the only problem is the noise

G

I had the same problem
Check the thermal paste(mine was spread all over)
Download easytool 6 for your mobo,and from there you can set the pwn/rpm for your cpu cooler.