amd fx 8350 and overclock cooling

Zerefette

Reputable
Nov 27, 2015
Hello, I have a amd fx 8350 and I'd like a cheap cooling solution to start overclocking, and the stock fan worries me due to the temperatures it shows normally, I have considered the cooler master 212 evo but I see there's new stuff so I don't really understand what to pick. I wanna spend up to 50€ or less, I prefer cooling over noise, or at least I think anything wouldn't make as much noise as the stock, thanks.
My motherboard is a M5A97 LE R2.0.and my case is a zalman z3 plus.

Solution

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Honestly, I don't think it's worth the bother in your case. That motherboard's already on the very edge of being able to run a 125W CPU at all. It has a 4+1 power phase design and the LE version has no heatsink on the VRMs, which means you're likely to run into problems very quickly, even if you control the temperature of the CPU itself well.

Zerefette

Reputable
Nov 27, 2015

Not even a soft overclock? In any case I need a replacement that outperforms the stock because I believe it's going to die or fry my cpu. I'd even be happy with a 10% clock or less.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

I honestly wouldn't try. But you may be less risk-averse than I am. Some people even have trouble with this motherboard and a 125W throttling at stock.

A solid budget cooler never hurts, though.

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler (€39.51 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €39.51
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-14 20:54 CEST+0200

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
The Cryorig H7 is a good cooler, I prefer it over the 212 evo they should be about the same price. As said above that motherboard is not the greatest for overclocking, you can overclock a bit if you want but I wouldn't change the cpu voltage from its stock setting. Get whatever stable overclock you can using the stock cpu voltage setting.

Zerefette

Reputable
Nov 27, 2015

Costs 52.49€ here, any alternative? Use the it version if it's not a bother.
https://it.pcpartpicker.com/

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler (€43.50 @ Amazon Italia)
Total: €43.50
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-14 21:16 CEST+0200

Solution

Zerefette

Reputable
Nov 27, 2015

LZ3u36Z5Rh_xyqJOerPE4A.png

Perhaps there's an alternative that has no extra costs.

Zerefette

Reputable
Nov 27, 2015

Can't the throttle be disabled, and I found the suggested cooler on another site, not amazon at a lower price so I thanks for the help.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

No. And you wouldn't want it to - the throttle is there to prevent you from not having a CPU/motherboard at all. It would be the equivalent of having a stove that occasionally catches on fire and solving the problem by taking out the smoke detectors.