My current specs:
AMD FX-8350 8-core 4.00GHz
ASUS STRIX RX580 8gb
2x 8GB DDR3 Kingston RAM
ASRock 990FX Extreme3 Motherboard
120GB SSD that I have my boot in
2TB Western Digital HDD 7.2k RPM

I have three questions.

What are the best settings in my BIOS if I don't want to overclock since I've changed them before and recently set them back to default. (some BIOS pictures, if you need more tell me, https://imgur.com/a/hM1Ahoi album is there)

Is it okay to have your HDD upside down on your case? I had to 'flip' it so I could install my new GPU since it's kinda big and I've noticed fps drops and just slow processing when opening files or a game reads images/files from the HDD.

Any way I can optimize my hardware in Windows or in the BIOS?

Solution
If you just use your computer for gaming, I might turn off the cool and quiet. If you use it for a mixture of things, I would probably leave it on.

HT link speed of 1600 ... stock is 2600.

DDR3 - 1145 ... that's not stock either.

Something wacky going on.

HDD can be installed in any direction you want. The big concern is moving it while it's spinning. HDD do tend to slow as they get full (not as bad as SSDs), but if you are around 90% it might be time for a bigger drive. Windows 10 optimizes drives automatically, but if you want to check type "Defragment" in the search bar.
....as far as the BIOS.....I usually just set it to the defaults and the tweak it as needed.

....as far as the HDD....you can orient it any way you like. They are designed for this. Although some manufacturers don't say you can run them tilted...so it might not be a bad idea to stick with 90 degree orientations.

There are ways to optimize things in the BIOS and in Windows....like fan profiles....OCing etc....and you can set windows to run the cpu in performance mode (this basically keeps the clock from dropping as far as I can tell).....but I would just run it with the defaults and see if it made me happy and if it did I would leave it alone.

If you just use your computer for gaming, I might turn off the cool and quiet. If you use it for a mixture of things, I would probably leave it on.

HT link speed of 1600 ... stock is 2600.

DDR3 - 1145 ... that's not stock either.

Something wacky going on.

HDD can be installed in any direction you want. The big concern is moving it while it's spinning. HDD do tend to slow as they get full (not as bad as SSDs), but if you are around 90% it might be time for a bigger drive. Windows 10 optimizes drives automatically, but if you want to check type "Defragment" in the search bar.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS