AMD FX-8350 Frequency (Clock Speed) Issue Relating to Sleep Mode

Alec Lockhart

Reputable
Sep 24, 2014
Hello everyone,

I have recently noticed a problem relating to my CPU's clock speed. The problem is whenever I put my computer to sleep and wake it up, CPU-Z (a program that can monitor clock speed) says that my core clock is lower than it should be. When I have looked up this problem, people have been saying that the CPU usually does this to conserve power, but I know it is not this because I have set my processor to run at the max frequency no matter what, disregarding the power-saving options. I would also like to note that in command prompt, it still says that my CPU is running at the normal clock of 4.62 GHz while CPU-Z says it's running at 4.113 GHz.

Picture:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=415172308649429&set=a.415172505316076.1073741828.100004699893795&type=1&theater

(Sorry, I had to use Facebook)

Also, if anyone was wondering, CPU-Z was updated to the most recent version and this problem confuses me immensely.

Thanks guys

olafgarten

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
Even if you turn off all power saving, the CPU can still clock down, as it is unhealthy to run at the full speed all time, 4.6 is the boosted overclocked speed, and the base frequency is 4.

Alec Lockhart

Reputable
Sep 24, 2014

Ok, how should I fix this problem? I assume it is something I have to tweak in the BIOS but I am not 100% sure. Also, just to confirm, I have heard from multiple forums saying that it is not a problem when a CPU is running a max frequency only when it is constantly running at max capacity. I don't know for sure but that is what I've heard.

Also, just to let you know, I have tried enabling CPU frequency scaling but my processor still wants to stay at max overclocked frequency which is the main reason why I wanted to ask.

Alec Lockhart

Reputable
Sep 24, 2014

I know for a fact that I have all five of the possible options under CPU Config disabled except HPC mode which I have enabled.

Alec Lockhart

Reputable
Sep 24, 2014

Well, its mostly just the convenience that sleep mode holds as I don't need to completely shut down and boot up my computer each time. An addition to the problem is that the clock speed never returns even after I put it under load, it even goes down further. This only occurs after sleep mode and it is really unfortunate for me but it isn't a vital problem.

Anyways, thanks for your help! I hope to find a solution and I will keep searching.

Thanks!