AMD FX-8350 overclocking to 5.0Ghz

Earione

Reputable
Dec 9, 2015
I'm a beginner overclocker and currently overclocking my 8350 at 4.8Ghz with an AIO Corsair h80i liquidcooler and a 650 watt psu.
My temps are really good.
I'm trying to reach 5.0 Ghz, but everytime I want to my computer randomly turns off when doing a stresstest.
What do I need to do? Do I need to set the CPU over voltage higher? If so, how much?

Nov 21, 2015
First of all, why are you trying to overclock without really knowing what you're doing?

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but do as much research as possible before ever making changes to your PC. That's my Public Service Announcement for the day.

I hope you have OC'ed the CPU through BIOS and not a program.

Enter BIOS and increase your CPU Vcore. Make sure it is NOT set on "Auto" or "Adaptive".

The safest, most conservative maximum Vcore for an FX-8350 is 1.5V (AMD says 1.55V but I'd err on the side of caution)

Your CPU cooler is definitely good enough to handle an OC like this, so keep bumping up the Vcore either until you reach stability first, a dangerous temp while stressing (then lower the Vcore and the CPU Clock), or you approach the max Vcore, which in that case, your chip is what it is, and you are going to have to lower your clock in order to achieve stability.

Use Intel Burn Test at Very High for 10 runs to intially test it while monitoring the temps (HWMonitor is a good program for this)....then use AIDA64 for a 2 hr or so run of a stress test. That'll be good enough. DONT use Prime64 like everyone says...most people dont know what their spouting off. Prime64 is not a good stability testing program at all and just generates a ton of heat. Stick to Aida64 for your long term stability testing.

Earione

Reputable
Dec 9, 2015

Thanks for the reply~
I have these kind of moments when I'm just being experimental and think "let's do this". Breaking things makes me learn a lot, but even I know it would cost me a lot eventually haha
Anyways, I'm going to try this.
At least, learn a bit more about overclocking ;)

And yes, I did it via the BIOS. I'm not that inexperienced btw ;)

Nov 21, 2015

Haha, sorry, not meaning to be a jerk. I understand wanting to play around with things, it just makes me feel bad when people accidentally ruin their hardware by mistake because they weren't exactly sure what they were doing. Not trying to belittle you whatsoever, so if you took offense, I do apologize, I am just trying to protect your PC and your wallet!

I'm not sure what your Vcore is right now, or what your idle and stress temps are, but you definitely are going to need to increase the Vcore for that kind of OC. It just depends on your temps...you really dont want to be going over low 60'sC on stress tests.

What is your current Vcore?
What are your idling temps now?

TRENDING THREADS