[SOLVED] AMD FX 8350 Overheating issue

LuaLord

Reputable
Jan 20, 2016
Recently i decided to clean out my pc since it had quite of bit of dust within the fans and around critical components. The pc was running fine before the cleaning, normal temps and also normal perfomance.
when i removed the Corsair H100 the cpu came out with the cooler. Basically i ripped the cpu out of the socket without unlocking it because it was so glued to the cooler. I realized this can be a big issue. so i continued with the cleaning anyways. I used a high pressure tank on its lowest setting and blew out all of the dust and cleaned the filters. i re-assembled the pc and installed the cooler on top with a perfect amount of thermal paste. i booted the computer up normally and and didnt notice anything out of the ordinary at first. But then the coolers fans when to max instantly.

I rebooted into the bios and noticed that the cpu is running all cores at their MAX clock (4.2GHz). The cpu idles in the BIOS at 79C (max temp it can read).

I also managed to run some software within windows before the system hit its critical temp. i found that all cores are running in their max clock (all 8 cores at 4.18GHz

I tried underclocking the processor inside the bios to 3.0GHz this did not reduce the temp of the cpu although it did stop at 77C (bios temp)

I also tried switching cpus to older cooler cpus. I tried my Phenom II 1090/1050 (unsure on model) and the cpu when well over 99c and the cpu was at its max clock in the bios using the same liquid cooler.

It is obvious to me my liquid cooler is not the issue as of yet. If it was the cooler the cpu still wouldnt climb above 60/70c at idle.

Im just curious to a possible fix or just an answer to what happend to my system. im fine with buying new parts, Im just baffled that i cant seem to fix this issue.

System specs:
1 FX 8350
2 cd drives (unplugged)
6 Random HDDs 1 External HDD
1 RX560 4GB
16GB PNY RAM (2x8gb) / 4GB SAMSUNG RAM (2x2gb)
1 Gigabyte 970A Mobo
1 600 WATT PSU
1 Corsair H100i (first model)
4 Case Fans

Summary of issue:
System overheating after cleaning dust out.
CPU DID come out with cooler when removing cooler.

Regaurds,
LL

Solution
Make sure the pump is running properly. Liquid coolers are not capable of keeping a CPU cool without the pump running, even at idle.

If that's not the problem, the only other thing I can think of is that maybe one of the contacts in the socket got damaged and the telemetry on the motherboard doesn't work anymore. It shouldn't matter too much if you're confident that the cooling is adequate. It looks like the CPU itself knows what its actual temperatures are and clocks accordingly.

MasterMadBones

Distinguished
Make sure the pump is running properly. Liquid coolers are not capable of keeping a CPU cool without the pump running, even at idle.

If that's not the problem, the only other thing I can think of is that maybe one of the contacts in the socket got damaged and the telemetry on the motherboard doesn't work anymore. It shouldn't matter too much if you're confident that the cooling is adequate. It looks like the CPU itself knows what its actual temperatures are and clocks accordingly.

Reactions: LuaLord
Solution

LuaLord

Reputable
Jan 20, 2016

Turns out the H100i Corsair cooler PUMP had failed. I heard strange Noises coming from the pipes/hoses. i assume the pumps fins had been broken off. Corsair link showed the pump was spinning but no liquid was moving.

i put the default cooler on the system and it now works perfectly.

Thank you for your help.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That may not indicate pump failure. It could also indicate a trapped bubble of air in the pump fins (which can't break off as they are part of the base plate). That will create a bunch of gurgling noise, and create temp issues as very little coolant actually gets pushed across the fins by the diaphragm. Generally it's called cavitation. Sometimes it'll clear itself, sometimes it will not and requires nothing more than tilting the pc until the pump is considerably lower than the rad tube inlets. That allows the air in the pump to travel upto the radiator reservoir.

It's entirely possible when you pulled the pump off the cpu /socket, during that time the pump was by far the highest point, and you ended up with a large amount of air in it.

Lost its prime. Air compresses, liquid doesn't. So the diaphragm keeps compressing the air, and no fluid moves.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Oh, just wanted to add, you can check that by just plugging the Sata power into the pump head and holding it low/under the rad, with tubes facing up, outside of the pc. Doesn't need fans or any other pc hookup, it'll run with just power. That way you can manipulate the rad as you see fit.

You'll soon figure out if it's air or not.

Reactions: LuaLord

LuaLord

Reputable
Jan 20, 2016
Oh, just wanted to add, you can check that by just plugging the Sata power into the pump head and holding it low/under the rad, with tubes facing up, outside of the pc. Doesn't need fans or any other pc hookup, it'll run with just power. That way you can manipulate the rad as you see fit.

You'll soon figure out if it's air or not.

Thank you for your very insightful reply to what may have happened to my pump/cooler. I will be doing a test today with it on a much smaller computer. The pump/cooler is about 3/4 years old and it served me well. but i think its time for a new one.

The compressed airs sounds about right. I used to be able to squeeze the hoses and they would be soft and easy to push in. But now the hoses are solid as a rock and make a very loud gurgle sound when i switched on the pc.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If you hold the rad up high and let the pump rest on the desk, air in the pump will travel immediately back up the tubing, can even give the rad a little wiggle to help the air move. Then just plug the pump to Sata power, no installation necessary. If it IS air just trapped, the cooler will work as it should, about silent, however if it's got gunk buildup and a blockage in the fin array, it'll be as noisy as it was prior as the coolant is no longer circulating through the pump.