AMD FX-8350 suffering practically instant overheating after reapplying thermal paste

Aug 28, 2018
I’m using a Corsair Hydro series liquid cooler, and mine has had quite a history of not doing its job well anyway but that issue has only been amplified since I reapplied the paste. Initially when I applied the paste, my computer appropriately booted into Windows, and stayed opperational for around 20 minutes while I checked the temps(a jaw-dropping 140f while the only thing else I had open was chrome). Now my computer won’t even get past the BIOS before overheating and shutting down. I reapplied the paste several times, made sure that internal wires were connected correctly. Made sure the fans are all operational. I’ve also tried opening my chassis and even putting the computer on its side to face my sealing fan. I think it’s time to just throw in the towel and buy a new cpu cooler, but I’d like to make sure that there isn’t anything else somebody can recommend that I try before making the purchase.

Solution
Sounds like its time for a new cooler, does the pump sound "healthy"?

You said in a response that you've had this pc for a few years now. A liquid cooler failing is pretty common after a few years.

You could go a cheaper route and get an air cooler if you don't overclock.
Aug 28, 2018

Because the last time it was applied was when I had it in for repairs, which was a few years ago.

Sounds like its time for a new cooler, does the pump sound "healthy"?

You said in a response that you've had this pc for a few years now. A liquid cooler failing is pretty common after a few years.

You could go a cheaper route and get an air cooler if you don't overclock.

Solution
Aug 28, 2018

Definitely not, it’s recently started making swishy sounds if you give it a little shake.

I’m not an avid fan of overclocking, even for graphics cards. If anything, after this experience I’ll be underclocking and undervolting my cpu- so an air cooler sounds alright to me. I’ve heard nothing but praise from people using a Noctua NH-U12S, so I’ll probably go with that. Thank you all for your time!