AMD FX-8350 Temperatures!!

Afraz Hussain

Honorable
May 30, 2013
Hi everyone,
I recently made myself a good-within-budget gaming rig with the AMD FX-8350 CPU. Here are the Specifications of my build:
Processor: AMD Fx-8350 4.0GHz
Motherboard: MSI 990FXA GD65 V2
GPU: XFX HD 7870 2GB OC Edition
RAM: 8GB 1333MHz
PSU: Omega 750W (bought the RaidMax 530W PSU, but it blew up :pfff::'( )

It is my first day with this build and I'm kindda worried about the temperatures of the CPU. Currently, I have the stock heatsink installed with the stock thermal paste. I am monitoring the CPU temperature with Core Temp and this is what im getting:

I tried playing Crysis 3 with Maximum setting and the temperatures went upto 50C. I just started the game (viewed the story n all) and exitted it to monitor the temperature because I dont want to take any risks with this. Are these temperatures normal?

My question is, what are the recommended temperatures for FX-8350 to play games n all? is there any good but cheap cooler, other than this stock one?

Also I might overclock in the future.

Any help is appreciated :)

Afraz Hussain

Honorable
May 30, 2013
Thanks for the reply (Y) I have one more question: In the BIOS, it says that my cpu temperature is about 50~55C. Just seconds later, I check the Core Temp software and find that my temperature is 17~20C. Which one to believe?

And is there any good and cheap aftermarket cooling system? I have a Mid-Towe ATX casing. Should I go with a heatsink or a water colling system?

And once again appreciate your reply (Y)

DjDafiDak

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
In the bios, ur cp works at max frequency,thats why its hotter. Both are correct and u should belive both, if you think its weird it cools down so fast then it isnt, temps change very fast.

Afraz Hussain

Honorable
May 30, 2013
hmm k .. everything makes sense now (Y)
btw you have any idea of what is the max temperature of the graphics card? I just reached upto 60C playing Crysis 3 at Max settings.
FYI I have XFX HD7870 2GB OC edition

DjDafiDak

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
No worries ur gpu isnt overheating, if its 90+ you should start caring.

but ur cpu is overheating, even though theres no offical maximum temps, over 60 is not good.

get a cooler.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Don't try to O/C with the stock cooler. It is just able to manage cooling the 125W TDP of the processor at stock. When you O/C and then stress the CPU, it will produce more than 125W.

Afraz Hussain

Honorable
May 30, 2013

No I did not OC the CPU. Its running at its stock speed with these temperatures! And like I said, it went upto 71C Max when I played Crysis 3 at Max setting for about 2 hours :'(
Should I get an aftermarket cooler? Which one would you recommend?

Afraz Hussain

Honorable
May 30, 2013

btw you also agree that these temperatures arent normal yeah? because I'm really worried when playing games n all

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Well, you started out the thread with temps hitting 50C. That was and is no problem. But if you are now averaging 70Cs while heavy gaming, it might be best to think about replacing the stock cooler. Does your case have good air flow? What is the case fan situation like?

To answer your previous question, when the temp gets above a certain level, the CPU will begin to throttle back and slow down to save itself.

Afraz Hussain

Honorable
May 30, 2013

My case doeshave two fans for cooling, but I dont think so that they are anywhere close to being good. So yeah, I decided to keep my case open to maximize airflow. For now, I cant decide whether to buy an aftermarket cooling system or not :/

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Try a couple different prgs for reading CPU temp to be sure the one you are using is fairly accurate. I've had some issues with Core Temp on FX processors and APUs. See what HWMonitor reads for comparison.
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

If your case has at least 1 x 120mm intake fan and 1 x 120mm exhaust fan, and there is no mess of cables blocking air flow, that should be sufficient for a stock clocked FX-8350 w/stock cooler. Do you have C&Q enabled? Sometimes it takes awhile for that to speed up the CPU cooling fan when the CPU heats up. Disable it in BIOS and see if that makes a difference. But the fan will run at 100% and be nosier.

Afraz Hussain

Honorable
May 30, 2013
I tried several different progs to check the CPU temp. All of them report the same temp. Does haveing a case with a good airflow really matter? Because I have left my case open. So, I don't think it will really matter :p I had Q&C set to AUTO and now i disabled it.

I am having a few problems running Crysis 3 now. It is not as smooth as it used to be. Is this because the CPU is over-heating? Please also note that now temperatures are about 40~60C (I only played for about 5 mins and these were the temps). And at these temps Crysis 3 is not as smooth as it used to be. Is this because of the high temps?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
It could be if the processor is throttling down. And yes, a case with good airflow is VERY important. In fact, sometimes opening the case side will hamper cooling because now the airflow is non-existent. The only cooling will be convection. What case do you have? What rez were you playing at?

Afraz Hussain

Honorable
May 30, 2013
So to reduce processor throttling I will have to definitely buy a new cooling yea?
I have an unbranded mid-tower case, where my motherboard and graphics card hardly fitted in. :'(
I played at high resolution 1920x1080 at ultra settings, and my GPU went upto 70~75C (MAX) and the CPU went upto 71C (MAX). (Note: These are old stats. I did not try playing after I saw those temps.) :'(

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The GPU temp is well withing norms. But yes, the CPU is overheating. At that temp it may indeed begin throttling back. I would suggest a new roomier case with better airflow as well as aftermarket cooling. But if you stick with that case, the new cooler is a definite must.
The FX-8350 is a hot running CPU anyway. It needs all the airflow it can get... and a roomy case.

Afraz Hussain

Honorable
May 30, 2013

Hmm yeah ill go with that. I'll definitely get a new cooler (preferably water cooler). (Y)

I didnot touch voltage of the CPU in the BIOS :p I only changed the fan speed (made it 85%) :)

praveen1996

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2013
iam using fx 8350 with cm tx3 evo cooler. on first i got 79c while gaming, so i corrected the direction of the fan in cooler and re applied the thermal paste. with one side air flow in case(front in and two outs) and It DRASTICALLY REDUCED THE MAX TEMP AT 64C AND IDLE AT 35C . which is a good improvement. i read so many reviews and my answer is below 65c is ok for gaming with high end graphics card. if u are looking below 60c just upgarde to a water cooler