AMD FX-8350 upgrade advice

Oct 12, 2018
CPU: AMD FX-8350 Eight Core
Memory: 16 GB DDR3
Motherboard: ASUSTek M5A87
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 970

How's it going? I've heard my CPU is over 5 years old and is potentially bottlenecking my system. Just want some advice on what CPU I should upgrade to. I was also wondering if I should stick with the graphics card I have now or consider upgrading that as well. Thanks.

Solution
Well, considering that the lowest end Ryzen CPU would be an upgrade from the FX-8350, I'd say that it is indeed time to upgrade. Right now, arguably the best performance for the dollar is the Ryzen 5 2600. It is a 6 core/12 thread CPU that is overclockable. It is right about 60% faster than the CPU you are currently using, and the AM4 platform is WAY ahead of the old AM3+. Keep in mind that you will need to upgrade to DDR4 for the new CPU and motherboard.

As for your GPU, it is comparable to a more modern GTX 1060, which is still a good GPU. So an upgrade from there would be a little pricey. The 1070 or Vega 56 would be the lowest card you should consider if you are looking for an upgrade, but there is no real reason to upgrade from...
Well, considering that the lowest end Ryzen CPU would be an upgrade from the FX-8350, I'd say that it is indeed time to upgrade. Right now, arguably the best performance for the dollar is the Ryzen 5 2600. It is a 6 core/12 thread CPU that is overclockable. It is right about 60% faster than the CPU you are currently using, and the AM4 platform is WAY ahead of the old AM3+. Keep in mind that you will need to upgrade to DDR4 for the new CPU and motherboard.

As for your GPU, it is comparable to a more modern GTX 1060, which is still a good GPU. So an upgrade from there would be a little pricey. The 1070 or Vega 56 would be the lowest card you should consider if you are looking for an upgrade, but there is no real reason to upgrade from the 970 right now. Better to hold off and see what the next generation of cards brings to the table.

Solution
Oct 12, 2018

Thanks for the reply! Ahhh I was hoping I wouldn't have to get a new motherboard. I'll hold off on the GPU for now.

Oct 12, 2018