AMD Fx-8350 vs i5-4690k for DX12?

Solution

In all likelihood no. DirectX 12 decreases CPU overhead for everybody, so all CPUs will see a performance boost. DirectX 12 is supposed to improve multithreading, so it might give more of a boost to the FX 8350, as it is a CPU that has really been held back due to its poor single threaded performance and DirectX 11 being dependent on that. Even with the improvements, I would not expect the 8350 to outperform the i5 4690k, especially when you factor in overclocking (4690k has more overclocking headroom compared to the 8350). The absolute best case scenario I see for the FX 8350 is that...

In all likelihood no. DirectX 12 decreases CPU overhead for everybody, so all CPUs will see a performance boost. DirectX 12 is supposed to improve multithreading, so it might give more of a boost to the FX 8350, as it is a CPU that has really been held back due to its poor single threaded performance and DirectX 11 being dependent on that. Even with the improvements, I would not expect the 8350 to outperform the i5 4690k, especially when you factor in overclocking (4690k has more overclocking headroom compared to the 8350). The absolute best case scenario I see for the FX 8350 is that DirectX 12 might allow it to offer similar performance to the stock clocked i5s, but it probably won't be enough for the FX 8350 to pull ahead in any significant way.

Solution

Spoertm

Reputable
Oct 10, 2015

Well, it appears that an FX 8350 performs exaclty similar to a 6700k in DX12 in Ashes Of The Singularity according to this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_InaE6v_N_k
Sure, single thread performance is always won by Intel but (as of now), AMD CPUs perform similarly to i7 CPUs in DX12.

The real question would be: Would you sacrifice the performance of dx11 games for dx12 games or vice-versa?
I'm personally in the same situation as OP atm and I'm having a really hard time deciding what to go for.

I wouldn't buy an FX 8350 now simply because it's so old and the AM3+ platform is missing a lot of newer chipset features. If you have a rig that is still performing okay for you, I might just wait until AMD launches Zen later this year before looking at an upgrade. At that point AMD would hopefully have something more worthwhile to offer, and we might have more than a small handful of titles running DirectX12 to judge performance. Right now for DirectX 12, we have Ashes of the Singularity which is in Beta, Rise of the Tomb Raider just had it patched in, and apparently it actually makes performance worse than DirectX 11, Hitman has it's prologue chapter out with DirectX 12 and it is really unstable right now, and Gears of War Ultimate has a DirectX 12 renderer but doesn't actually use any DirectX 12 features as it's a port of a game from 2007.

If you have to buy something now and you want to have 8 threads for DirectX 12, I'd say either splash out the extra money for an i7, or look at getting the Xeon E3 1231 V3 while it's still available if you're on a tight budget.

VenBaja

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008

That's only one game. I would not base decisions off of one test in one game. It could be that Ashes of Singularity is not compute intensive at all, just like many singleplayer DX11 games. The benchmark results might be completely different in a 64-player DX12 first person shooter.

xaephod

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
Seriously, the AMD chips are really bad. I have a 6350 and a 2500K. The 6350 doesn't even come remotely close with the same video card. Its much much worse. I can't imagine the 8350 is that much better.