AMD FX-8350 with Asus GeForce Turbo GTX 1080

Potwor1991

Prominent
Apr 9, 2017
Hi,
In the other topic here, regarding AMD CPU and NVIDIA GPU compatibility I've read that there are no issues in general, but if one gets significantly newer GPU than CPU then the CPU can hold the other down not allowing it to draw the full potential, so I wanted to ask if this were the case with those two models (I want to upgrade GPU from Radeon R9 290). And btw: Is it smart to buy this GPU right now, or should I wait a little, or buy another model of GTX 1080?

Solution
If you significantly upgrade GPU, CPU may become a bottleneck that may show in some games. Only other GPU from Nvidia right now is 1080Ti. That can make CPU bottleneck even more visible.

david_seastrom

Prominent
Aug 17, 2017
If your CPU is bottlenecked you should overclock it with water cooler or AIO liquid cooler. I have the same chip. I do plan on upgrading to Ryzen, but I've been playing around with my FX-8350 overclocking capabilities. Since the CPU has reached it product life cycle, why not? My only other idea is to use the old equipment to build a home server or NAS. I've read enough articles to understand that not all games are bottled necked and those that are, you would need to raise the graphic settings, increasing GPU usage. I do understand that some games are really CPU intensive so there maybe a bottle neck there. I'm willing to test my current system with a 1080 Ti. I can get back to you with results. If I'm unhappy with the results I can just buy a Ryzen setup. However, I need to wait until we're closer to the Holidays season for deals. It's worth the wait right now. However, when the graphics cards go on sale buy it up quick.

TRENDING THREADS