[SOLVED] AMD FX-9590 High Temps Low Loads

Feb 16, 2020
Specs in image below. If you need me info let me know. Thanks.

So I've had my setup for about 2 years and I feel like I've always had problems with it. The biggest problem was it would just freeze randomly and I'd have to hard reset the pc. I thought it was a temp problem like maybe I had to clean out the pc or reapply thermal paste better or something but my temps wouldn't get that high. It would freeze at 20 degrees or 60 didn't matter with loads at 2 or 50 or 100 I've seen every temp and load combo out there. Could be playing a heavy loaded game or just watching a youtube video. I've also had high loads with the same temps but just recently I turned on different games, this time minecraft, and the temps hit 80 which has never ever happened. Then I tried updating all the drivers. I got Driver Easy and installed a couple AMD drivers thinking it solved the problem but eventually it froze again. It seemed like the freezing kept happening more frequently but it won't freeze for a while then it will do it multiple times. Either way it was pissing me off. I watched some videos about this cpu's timing might be off and the recommended settings are NOT recommended I don't know. I got desperate and followed instructions turning off certain bios settings like turbo core, core c6 state, and c1e support. I don't like messing with bios but it said those setting reduced power consumption but I'm not expert. The thing is that did solve the freezing. It's been a week and I'm able to do everything with no problems. I'm just worried about these temps. Is it just a matter of time before my computer gets fried or is there something i should change like underclocking and changing voltage. I've seen those options mostly but I figured I would share my specs and not base my decision off other setups. I did receive a class action settlement for my cpu in the mail but I didn't really have a big problem with it yet so I thought if i did then i'll just get a cpu that hasn't been brought to court lol.

So is there something I can do to fix this problem or should I just invest in a new cpu? I really don't want to but if that's the case then what is a good recommendation? I really appreciate any and all help!
qpdt45yfech41.jpg

Solution
Regarding the PSU I have the corsair rm1000x. Gold? I dont' know what that exactly means for it. Been out of the pc parts game for a couple years.

Thats an excellent PSU and definitely not your problem

Regarding the temps and how nothing can tell the exact temperature. I can tell you for a fact the temps jumped (whether they're right or not) after I changed those few bios settings but if I didn't do that I wouldn't be using it right now. While Idling it would stay around 20 maybe and was super quiet and under a heavy load it would be 40s, 60s max still with semi-quiet fans depending on different games. Now it idles at around 40 and gets up to 60s, 80s and the fans are blasting all the time. When I first put this thing...

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Not to pour salt in your wounds, but you have one of the worst CPUs ever (these issues are common for the FX-9XXX CPUs) for heat/power issues. You should also get rid of Driver Easy...period. Those apps are usually more trouble than they are worth and often the means to malware infections.

Many who have used these CPUs have been successful by underclocking them to FX-8350 speeds. You may want to try this.

Long term, you would be better served by replacing your current CPU/motherboard/memory with modern kit.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech
Feb 16, 2020
Not to pour salt in your wounds, but you have one of the worst CPUs ever (these issues are common for the FX-9XXX CPUs) for heat/power issues. You should also get rid of Driver Easy...period. Those apps are usually more trouble than they are worth and often the means to malware infections.

Many who have used these CPUs have been successful by underclocking them to FX-8350 speeds. You may want to try this.

Long term, you would be better served by replacing your current CPU/motherboard/memory with modern kit.
At the time it seemed like good parts for good prices but its served me well while I had it haha. That's like me to use stuff until it dies but I'll try that underclocking thanks. I'll probably do some upgrades in the summer. Any suggestions?

Feb 16, 2020
Im using the Asus geforce gtx 1060 6GB. Is that still relevant? My budget probably would be around 1000 but I'm not completely restricted to that. Depending on what you have in mind then no more than 1500.

Last edited:
At the time it seemed like good parts for good prices but its served me well while I had it haha. That's like me to use stuff until it dies but I'll try that underclocking thanks. I'll probably do some upgrades in the summer. Any suggestions?
There's nothing wrong with running what you have if it does what you need. I usually will upgrade as parts become cheap as others upgrade. It's all about how much money you want to spend.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Your temps are absolutely fine, especially for a hottie like the 9590. Just keep an eye on them for anything outside of spec.

No they aren't. Unless he is measuring temps with AMD Overdrive whatever he is seeing is wrong. FX processors measure temps via thermal margin and overdrive is the only thing that gives that correct reading. the complaints he is having sound exactly like the thermal problems that the FX-9590 are known for. Very likely he has insufficient cooling in some manner or his VRMs are overheating possibly from running it on an insufficient motherboard. We don't know as we don't have full system details.

@Exultamos in the interest of the full story can you tell us all of your exact specs especially PSU make and model, motherboard make and model, cooler, etc.

There's nothing wrong with running what you have if it does what you need. I usually will upgrade as parts become cheap as others upgrade. It's all about how much money you want to spend.

Did you read the post at all? Clearly what he has doesn't even vaguely work correctly.

No they aren't. Unless he is measuring temps with AMD Overdrive whatever he is seeing is wrong. FX processors measure temps via thermal margin and overdrive is the only thing that gives that correct reading. the complaints he is having sound exactly like the thermal problems that the FX-9590 are known for. Very likely he has insufficient cooling in some manner or his VRMs are overheating possibly from running it on an insufficient motherboard. We don't know as we don't have full system details.

@Exultamos in the interest of the full story can you tell us all of your exact specs especially PSU make and model, motherboard make and model, cooler, etc.

Did you read the post at all? Clearly what he has doesn't even vaguely work correctly.
I didn't know that the temps displayed weren't correct. No way to know what it is doing if those are wrong.

Motherboard and cooler are clearly visible in the screenshot btw ;).
OP seems to have stabilized his crashes albeit at the cost of power mgmt.

The one listed isn't exactly chopped liver. And Corsair link actually reports a lower temp reading from the cooler standpoint

The one listed isn't exactly chopped liver. And Corsair link actually reports a lower temp reading from the cooler standpoint
So what are you saying? Those temps are okay according to those programs? Because if they are, I don't see how they are hot at all--all my stuff idles around that mark from lga775 to dual xeon servers and everything in between.

I'm agreeing with you, the temps aren't horrible especially for a FX9xxx - there was a knee-jerk claim about not knowing the cooler and mobo, but as they say "pic is worth 1000 w...."

The H115i may not be beefy enough to keep up at the top end, but the temps look normal at idle. (and those depend on knowing the ambient as well)

So what are you saying? Those temps are okay according to those programs? Because if they are, I don't see how they are hot at all--all my stuff idles around that mark from lga775 to dual xeon servers and everything in between.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

I was reading it on my Surface Go which it was hard to tell what it said, also I dismissed any data immediately as soon as I saw Corsair Link because the temp data in there is WRONG.

That said I agree the H115i is More than adequate to cool an FX-9590, and he has a proper 990fx motherboard for it, however......

I'm agreeing with you, the temps aren't horrible especially for a FX9xxx - there was a knee-jerk claim about not knowing the cooler and mobo, but as they say "pic is worth 1000 w...."

The H115i may not be beefy enough to keep up at the top end, but the temps look normal at idle. (and those depend on knowing the ambient as well)

Saying the temps aren't horrible is still wrong because we don't know what they actually are. Again Corsair link (or any other temp software) DOES NOT report correct FX -9590 temps. In fact there is no actual way to tell the temp on an FX processor. AMD Overdrive is the ONLY way to get Thermal Margin which uses an array of sensors to tell you how far away you are from the processor overheating and throttling. No knee jerking here, the OP isn't reading the right numbers and asserting the temps are fine is wrong, completely.

Another issue that comes into play is how hard the FX-9590 drives the VRMs so even if you have a water cooler which is sufficient such as the OP has, if they do not have proper airflow over the VRMs then he will run into problems. In fact he will run into the exact problems being described.

This issue is very common with the FX-9590, we have had many posters here do everything right (good liquid cooler, good airflow) and the damn thing still won't go stable. The only solution many have found was to downclock it a LOT to FX-8350 levels, as suggested by Col Geek. That doesn't always work, but it often does.

Finally we also don't know what PSU he is running even from those pics. The FX-9590 has been known to draw over 300w under a heavy gaming load, well over its 220w TDP. Low quality PSUs fall flat on their face trying to run it.

Reactions: Phaaze88
and back in the day some folks didn't and still managed.... guess we were cavemen

https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/767181-How-i-made-my-FX-9590-STABLE-)

I was reading it on my Surface Go which it was hard to tell what it said, also I dismissed any data immediately as soon as I saw Corsair Link because the temp data in there is WRONG.

That said I agree the H115i is More than adequate to cool an FX-9590, and he has a proper 990fx motherboard for it, however......

Saying the temps aren't horrible is still wrong because we don't know what they actually are. Again Corsair link (or any other temp software) DOES NOT report correct FX -9590 temps. In fact there is no actual way to tell the temp on an FX processor. AMD Overdrive is the ONLY way to get Thermal Margin which uses an array of sensors to tell you how far away you are from the processor overheating and throttling. No knee jerking here, the OP isn't reading the right numbers and asserting the temps are fine is wrong, completely.

Another issue that comes into play is how hard the FX-9590 drives the VRMs so even if you have a water cooler which is sufficient such as the OP has, if they do not have proper airflow over the VRMs then he will run into problems. In fact he will run into the exact problems being described.

This issue is very common with the FX-9590, we have had many posters here do everything right (good liquid cooler, good airflow) and the damn thing still won't go stable. The only solution many have found was to downclock it a LOT to FX-8350 levels, as suggested by Col Geek. That doesn't always work, but it often does.

Finally we also don't know what PSU he is running even from those pics. The FX-9590 has been known to draw over 300w under a heavy gaming load, well over its 220w TDP. Low quality PSUs fall flat on their face trying to run it.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
and back in the day some folks didn't and still managed.... guess we were cavemen

https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/767181-How-i-made-my-FX-9590-STABLE-)

Good job you found 1 guy who got it working, and he isn't even reading the temperatures correctly either! Did you even read the post and the excessive cooling this guy has going on as well? AND he doesn't even run it at 5ghz. Search this forum, you'll find plenty who didn't. Either way, you're taking the thread off on a tangent and the OP has not yet returned with any additional info. So until then this should be tabled.

Feb 16, 2020
Regarding the PSU I have the corsair rm1000x. Gold? I dont' know what that exactly means for it. Been out of the pc parts game for a couple years.

Regarding the temps and how nothing can tell the exact temperature. I can tell you for a fact the temps jumped (whether they're right or not) after I changed those few bios settings but if I didn't do that I wouldn't be using it right now. While Idling it would stay around 20 maybe and was super quiet and under a heavy load it would be 40s, 60s max still with semi-quiet fans depending on different games. Now it idles at around 40 and gets up to 60s, 80s and the fans are blasting all the time. When I first put this thing together 2 years ago it was fine. I mean I'd get a freeze every now and then about a year ago but it was VERY rare and I could still use it. About 6 months ago it was freezing more often especially in the summer but now it's winter and my house temp is between 55-60 F. It was about a month ago it got just about unusable.

I haven't done the underclocking yet... been trying to get a few things done before I do it just in case it blows up on me hahaha

If it's junk though it's junk maybe I waited too long. I just kept seeing similar problems and then that lawsuit and didn't know if there is a way around their flaw

I appreciate all the feedback and if there's anymore info you need let me know

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Regarding the temps and how nothing can tell the exact temperature. I can tell you for a fact the temps jumped (whether they're right or not) after I changed those few bios settings but if I didn't do that I wouldn't be using it right now. While Idling it would stay around 20 maybe and was super quiet and under a heavy load it would be 40s, 60s max still with semi-quiet fans depending on different games. Now it idles at around 40 and gets up to 60s, 80s and the fans are blasting all the time. When I first put this thing together 2 years ago it was fine. I mean I'd get a freeze every now and then about a year ago but it was VERY rare and I could still use it. About 6 months ago it was freezing more often especially in the summer but now it's winter and my house temp is between 55-60 F. It was about a month ago it got just about unusable.

The thing is and what others here are not getting is the FX processor literally does not have a standard temp sensor in it. Where Intel and even Ryzen processors have specific sensors in the CPU and Motherboard that test specific spots on the CPU to give you actual numbers, the FX has an array of sensors in the CPU and board that only measure how far that part of the CPU is from overheating, and uses an algorithm to generate the thermal margin. So whatever you were seeing and changes you saw don't specifically correlate to anything. The link that was posted above, the person is saying their temp was 69C, If it actually was 69C then the CPU would be overheating because the TDP of the 9590 is 57C. But again that 57C has nothing to do with the TDP of an Intel Processor and what traditional software measures.

Based on the hardware you have, it should have worked right and it sounds like it did. However a number of things could have happened. Your H115i may not be working as efficiently, I hesitate to say you should change the thermal paste on it as that stuff lasts WAY longer than 2 years despite what some think. It is worth a shot however. But before that, do you hear the pump running? Is it making a grinding noise? You can put your hand on top of the radiator and feel if its running.

The other issue is also what I described about how that CPU is rough on VRMs, its possible your board wore out especially if those were not being cooled well at all. Again thats rare.

I haven't done the underclocking yet... been trying to get a few things done before I do it just in case it blows up on me hahaha

If it's junk though it's junk maybe I waited too long. I just kept seeing similar problems and then that lawsuit and didn't know if there is a way around their flaw

I appreciate all the feedback and if there's anymore info you need let me know

Make sure you have backups of your data at this point.

There is no way around the flaw except for massive underclocking. At that point you have a CPU that gets beat hard in gaming by an i3. If you got this 2 years ago you got ripped off when you bought it as Ryzen was already available at that point.

@Rogue Leader Got any idea on how to change the clock speed?? Never messed with that before. Always just threw her in there stock lol

Yes actually, to test it first you can use the software I mentioned already AMD Overdrive:

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/4645-amd-overdrive.html

This will allow you to try some settings first to see how stable it is.

Tom's has a great guide to using it:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-overclock-athlon,2161-5.html

My suggestion, go into the settings page, disable turbo, and then lower the multiplier a couple of points and see how it goes.

Solution
Feb 16, 2020
Watch the, now edited, "colorful" language, please. Thank you.

The thing is and what others here are not getting is the FX processor literally does not have a standard temp sensor in it. Where Intel and even Ryzen processors have specific sensors in the CPU and Motherboard that test specific spots on the CPU to give you actual numbers, the FX has an array of sensors in the CPU and board that only measure how far that part of the CPU is from overheating, and uses an algorithm to generate the thermal margin. So whatever you were seeing and changes you saw don't specifically correlate to anything. The link that was posted above, the person is saying their temp was 69C, If it actually was 69C then the CPU would be overheating because the TDP of the 9590 is 57C. But again that 57C has nothing to do with the TDP of an Intel Processor and what traditional software measures.

Based on the hardware you have, it should have worked right and it sounds like it did. However a number of things could have happened. Your H115i may not be working as efficiently, I hesitate to say you should change the thermal paste on it as that stuff lasts WAY longer than 2 years despite what some think. It is worth a shot however. But before that, do you hear the pump running? Is it making a grinding noise? You can put your hand on top of the radiator and feel if its running.

The other issue is also what I described about how that CPU is rough on VRMs, its possible your board wore out especially if those were not being cooled well at all. Again thats rare.

Make sure you have backups of your data at this point.

There is no way around the flaw except for massive underclocking. At that point you have a CPU that gets beat hard in gaming by an i3. If you got this 2 years ago you got ripped off when you bought it as Ryzen was already available at that point.

Yes actually, to test it first you can use the software I mentioned already AMD Overdrive:

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/4645-amd-overdrive.html

This will allow you to try some settings first to see how stable it is.

Tom's has a great guide to using it:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-overclock-athlon,2161-5.html

My suggestion, go into the settings page, disable turbo, and then lower the multiplier a couple of points and see how it goes.
I hate to conclude this thread down to this but....
I figured i'd give a good look in the pc when you mentioned thermal paste and come to find out the cpu fan wire literally fell off. I haven't touched the inside of it in quite a long time so I don't know if it was from vibrations of the pc or slight movements from when I moved it to different desks or what but theres no clip or anything to keep it there and it doesn't seem that snug on so that's my conclusion. I guess the fans were just trying to make up for the fact the pump wasn't running... feel like such a <<Edited for inappropriate language>> idiot... but either way I appreciate all the help and insight on the programs and parts. temps just reach 60 at 80-90 load so I guess it's all good... It was that lawsuit and all the other problems people had with this series that got me going hahaha. uughghh like how did that come off!:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Rogue Leader
Feb 16, 2020
Please use AMD Overdrive - that result may as well be invalid.
The thermal margin for this cpu is 57C. As it warms up, that number goes down, even into the negatives if there is serious overheating.

60C isn't correct.
It did drop -1 for a second then the load leveled out at 60-70 and temp would fluctuate between 10 and 20 then at at lower loads 50 under it's at low 20s 26 max. Idle sits at low 30s 36 max. Why does the margin get lower under heavy loads wouldn't it show higher values?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
It did drop -1 for a second then the load leveled out at 60-70 and temp would fluctuate between 10 and 20 then at at lower loads 50 under it's at low 20s 26 max. Idle sits at low 30s 36 max. Why does the margin get lower under heavy loads wouldn't it show higher values?

Ok so How thermal margin works is bigger numbers (not in red) are cooler. Under COLD idle it should be like 50 or around there. Under load the number decreases as you get closer to the maximum temperature the number gets smaller. If the number turns red that means you are OVER the max temp and the cpu is throttling.

So if the system is warmed up and at idle you see 36, thats fine. And then under a load you're seeing 20 thats also fine.

If under load you saw like 5, thats not good, if you saw a red 5 thats really bad.

I'm glad it was a simple fix.

Feb 16, 2020
Ok so How thermal margin works is bigger numbers (not in red) are cooler. Under COLD idle it should be like 50 or around there. Under load the number decreases as you get closer to the maximum temperature the number gets smaller. If the number turns red that means you are OVER the max temp and the cpu is throttling.

So if the system is warmed up and at idle you see 36, thats fine. And then under a load you're seeing 20 thats also fine.

If under load you saw like 5, thats not good, if you saw a red 5 thats really bad.

I'm glad it was a simple fix.
Ahh makes sense. Only time it was that low is when I really pushed it but other than that it's plugged back in hahaha. Appreciate all the help and schooling :D

Reactions: Rogue Leader

TRENDING THREADS