AMD fx-9590 keeps overheating randomly even when idle

ryannutall

Prominent
Sep 24, 2017
PC hardware:
MB: SABERTOOTH 990FX 2.0
CPU: AMD FX-9590
RAM: 16368 MB DDR 3
PSU: CX600M (replaced this to test it, still experienced freezing)
CPU Cooler: Water cooled

My PC keeps randomly freezing, even when it's idle. Downloaded SpeedFan to monitor temps and noticed that's VCORE keeps shooting up (again even when idle) just before the freeze happens.

I can playing a game on max settings for hours but then if I try to run even a low requirement game but also Google chrome at the same time it tends to freeze.

So far I've updated my BIOS, took out old hard drive and replaced it with an SSD with a fresh install of Windows 10 (was windows 7 before but still had same issue).

I've borrowed a friends PSU and used that, also changed my BIOS settings to default.

Also done memtest and passed that too, as well as applying new thermal paste.

Just wondering if anyone has any solutions as I'm to too clued up on VCORE or what it's meaning. I was thinking about underclocking it as I know the CpU comes factory overclocked?

Solution
If it hasnt happened before, it could be your cooler failing. Check the power connection for the pump and that its making good contact, might be worth replacing the thermal paste.
The SABERTOOTH 990FX 2.0 only supports processors up to 140W TDP.
The FX-9590 is a 220W TDP processor and requires a min 850W Gold certified PSU.

Go here for the specs: https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_990FX_R20/specifications/

You will continue to have issues with this MB and CPU combo.

Yes. Underclocking will make the CPU require less voltage. Just underclock until you reach a point where everything works.