Dec 9, 2021
Good Morning,
I am running a
AMD FX 9590 no overclocks
AsRock 970 Fatality Performance Motherboard
Corsair 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM
HIVEOS on SSD
Seasonic X-850 Gold PSU

I am currently getting about 188MH out of the processor, both when I have GPUs running as well as when I do not have any hooked up. I currently have a 2 - 2070s, 1 - 2060, and a 3060ti hooked to this board all mining just as they should be. The CPU is only producing 188MH as listed above. However, even when it was just the processor it was still only producing 188MH with a 850W PSU for just the 220W processor. From reading some other threads I may need to get a bigger or another PSU hooked up to augment the power needs but what has be puzzled is that the same problem exists when no GPUs are present.

From other Forums, I have seen that in some cases there is a slow switch, I don't see that on this board or anything similar. I have quiet & Cool turned off. Not sure where the issue may be. As a side note, I also have the same issue with a FX8320 on a GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P AMD AM3 everything else is the same. I suspect that he issue are the same and somewhere in the BIOs maybe? Needs more RAM? More power?

Forgot to mention I am running this as the Heatsink
CPU Cooler, 90mm CPU Heatsink 6 heat pipes
I currently have 4 of these running one on the 9590, 8320, I9-9900kf and 1600X (Overclocked). The i9-9900kf is sitting at about 56C in full mining mode, the 1600X is about 50C. The other 2 in the 40s and not producing anything near the Hashrate they should be according to benchmarks.

Thank you for all the help in advance.

Last edited:
Solution
If you are running a 90mm cooler on any 8 core FX, much less the incredibly hot voltage leaking FX-9590, then there is no way you are not experiencing thermal throttling of the CPU and most probably also the VRMs. This CPU is maybe one of the worst ever in terms of attempting to keep them from throttling and even highly experienced enthusiasts with custom liquid cooling and top shelf motherboards with extensive case cooling configurations have a very difficult time keeping them cool enough to not throttle under normal loads.

My advise would be, don't try. It's a waste of time. If you wish to try, then you are going to need much better cooling, because for an FX-9590 you need at minimum (And even WITH this kind of cooling we've seen few...
If you are running a 90mm cooler on any 8 core FX, much less the incredibly hot voltage leaking FX-9590, then there is no way you are not experiencing thermal throttling of the CPU and most probably also the VRMs. This CPU is maybe one of the worst ever in terms of attempting to keep them from throttling and even highly experienced enthusiasts with custom liquid cooling and top shelf motherboards with extensive case cooling configurations have a very difficult time keeping them cool enough to not throttle under normal loads.

My advise would be, don't try. It's a waste of time. If you wish to try, then you are going to need much better cooling, because for an FX-9590 you need at minimum (And even WITH this kind of cooling we've seen few instances where it worked out to the users satisfaction) a big air cooler like the Noctua NH-D14 or D15 or a 280mm or larger AIO liquid cooler or a big custom loop. Anything less, and there is zero chance of success based on dozens if not hundreds of examples we've seen here over the years.

Also consider, that was a fact when these parts were new. Now, many years later, you can be sure that these CPUs have suffered from electromigration and VT-shift by now as well as most these boards having also suffered from some or even a lot of degeneration in terms of the caps and other onboard components. Electrical stress from these types of CPUs can't be overstated. These systems even under the best of conditions don't tend to last long before they begin to wear down to the point of being unusable, if they ever were to begin with.

Solution