[SOLVED] Amd fx pile driver 6300 on msi 970A-G43

Dave Papworth

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014
Hi guys

I have a MSi 970A-G43 motherboard with a FX piledriver 6300 cpu this is watercooled with corsair h60 im wondering if you guys could please help me with safe overclocking setting and how to do it as i cannot afford to upgrade right now due to being on furlough many thanks in advance

Further hardware

Ram 32gb

gtx 1060 gfx card

dave

Solution
excuse my lac of kowledge but i thought watercooling was better than heat sink based coolers am i mistaken have i fallen for marketing cons? sorry i just done some research i understand basically my motherboard is not good
Not talking about CPU cooling, you are fine there. It's about VRM (Voltage Regulator Module) on motherboard which would be hard pressed to provide enough power for any higher CPU without overheating. Using water cooler instead of horizontal air cooler which blows some air on VRM, makes it even worse.
Hi guys

I have a MSi 970A-G43 motherboard with a FX piledriver 6300 cpu this is watercooled with corsair h60 im wondering if you guys could please help me with safe overclocking setting and how to do it as i cannot afford to upgrade right now due to being on furlough many thanks in advance

Further hardware

Ram 32gb

gtx 1060 gfx card

dave
It's not very safe to OC on MBs without a cooler on VRM, I wouldn't push it over 3.8GHz on that MB.

Dave Papworth

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014
excuse my lac of kowledge but i thought watercooling was better than heat sink based coolers am i mistaken have i fallen for marketing cons? sorry i just done some research i understand basically my motherboard is not good

Last edited by a moderator:
Not talking about CPU cooling, you are fine there. It's about VRM (Voltage Regulator Module) on motherboard which would be hard pressed to provide enough power for any higher CPU without overheating. Using water cooler instead of horizontal air cooler which blows some air on VRM, makes it even worse.

Solution

Dave Papworth

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014
thank you for your advice.
would you be able to direct me to a tutorial on how to get it overclocked to what it would safely handle?

thank you for your advice.
would you be able to direct me to a tutorial on how to get it overclocked to what it would safely handle?
OC is very easy on those processors. They are unlocked so all you have to do is to raise multiplier a notch and test for stability and temperature, If temps stay within limits and it's stable, raise a notch by notch until unstable than add a bit of voltage until temperature raises too much. Can't give you any firm figures because every system is different, Pay special attention to VRM temperature, CPU can take a lot of heat and voltage but that takes a lot of power and VRM can get too hot.