AMD FX-Series Lineup Revealed in CPU Support List

Status
Not open for further replies.

beenthere

Distinguished
Gigabyte has updated the CPU compatibility list on all of their 900 series chipset AM3+ mobos. The 800 series AM3+ mobos has not been updated yet so they are probably validating those mobos next.

G

Still not caring until I can see some performance numbers.

I was hoping they would somehow increase their core performance to the point they can match Intel's 4 core i5 2500k with their 4 core Bulldozer chip, allowing their 8 core to not be slower then an i7 2600k in any situation and faster in some.

But then they keep delaying and I got this gut feeling its going to be another Phenom II x6 situation where it is kinda faster in some applications but slower most of the time and the cost savings really aren't that great.

G

I still don't get why AMD is sticking with such low L3 catch size. I'd expect at least a 150% increase per level setting 8MB for 4000, 12MB for 6000 and 16MB for 8000.

beenthere

Distinguished
All indications so far are that the FX series will be the best value/performance choice with ~50% increase over current Phenom II X4/X6 CPUs of the same clockspeed. That's good enough for me.

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]Finally I am moving over to AM3+ with a 990FX based board from a old dusty am2+ 790x board. A breath of fresh air[/citation]

I feel you.. My trusty Phenom II x4 920 (2.8ghz) still runs like a freaking CHAMP but I am looking forward to more raw power when it comes to encoding videos, etc etc.

[citation][nom]drumsrule786[/nom]These better kick sandy bridge's ass, not because I don't like intel, but they have had practically no competition lately.[/citation]

I don't think they will. This info has been out there for a while and so has the price. The top of the line FX-8150 is set to be out at $320 (probably a bit more from places like Newegg) and rumor has it that it doesn't beat Sandy Bridge.

I am still holding my opinion till it releases but the price says a lot.

alyon

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
I was going to wait for these chips but I just gave in to a 2600k on sale for $270. I figured it wouldn't likely be outperformed unless it is a heavily multi threaded application. The 2600k will likely still have better headroom and stability for overclocks.

Besides, if you get a 1155 board don't the new Sandy bridge E chips drop in ? Those will be very expensive though. Think the last time I heard the lowest end E chip was just over 300 dollars (then 500 then 1k).

RabidFace

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
While I don't doubt that they won't beat Sandy Bridge, it's going to be games where it matters most (for me). Just like when I had built my FX-55 and 6800 Ultra rig. While Intel's line could beat AMD's all around, AMD has the best cost/performance ratio for gamers. I don't need to encode videos at blazing speeds since I rarely did, and non existent now a days, but got awesome performance in my games.

Haven't had a rig in quite a few years, my PS3 and laptop get me where I need to go now a days. But, have been wanting to get back in the game, and think I will have the money in about a year or so and looks like I will be building another AMD/nVidia system in the near future :)

dapneym

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
[citation][nom]ben850[/nom]I feel you.. My trusty Phenom II x4 920 (2.8ghz) still runs like a freaking CHAMP but I am looking forward to more raw power when it comes to encoding videos, etc etc.[/citation]

Me three actually. I've been rocking a Phenom 9950BE system now since 2008 (albeit with other upgrades since), and I could use a new system soon.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]bison88[/nom]Now...can we "leak" some reviews pl0x?[/citation]
Even Tom's aren't stupid enough to break the NDA, even if they actually have tested one, but I agree that we need benchmarks.

Status
Not open for further replies.