Question AMD FX6300 throttling to 1.4 GHZ

Mar 22, 2022
Hi. So I recently upgraded an old build's CPU from Athlon II X4 640 to FX 6300

The computer ran fine overclocked with the Athlon. Upon switching to the FX I noticed the CPU is throttling it's clock and voltage with stock settings. (Only when stress testing) With Turbo core on it throttles during normal use so I turned it off.
I put copper heatsinks on the VRM but same results.
I have an AIO water cooler with Kryonaut paste.
MSI 760GM-P23 (FX) Motherboard. Power Supply isn't much better it's a Thermaltake 430 But both ran fine and the power specs between the 2 processors are similar.
The Athlon ran at around 1.4v which is higher than FX is running at around 1.2. (Not sure if the core amount would make a difference since the Athlon was 4cores and the FX is 6cores.) I would think things run hotter.

See video below to see how and when the throttling begins. Notice the HUGE spike in "Core" temp in Speedfan and "Thermal Margin" on Overdrive. "Temp1" in Speedfan is the CPU's temp. It matches with BIOS temp, and is the only temp to rise when I turn off water pump.

Could the CPU be defective? I've only stressed it for about an hour and with throttling and all, no errors show.

Throttle video---->
View: https://vimeo.com/691168802

Mar 16, 2022
Unless you are blind which I assume you are not, you are hitting over 200c on your CPU.

Untitled.png

Download HWINFO64 and check your CPU temps.

Tick sensors only and look for the sensors I have marked out.

Untitled.png

Last edited:
Reactions: drea.drechsler
Mar 22, 2022
Unless you are blind which I assume you are not, you are hitting over 200c on your CPU.

Untitled.png

Download HWINFO64 and check your CPU temps.

Tick sensors only and look for the sensors I have marked out.

Untitled.png

"Temp1" is the CPU temp not "CORE". Not sure what "CORE" is linked to but its never shown a temp that seems remotely close to current CPU usage or any other component. Also there is a huge spike in temp. it does not crawl to 205c. My radiator is not hotter than normal, and the unit is rated for 100c max. I'm sure something would burst in the cooling unit it temps got to double its rating. I'm also sure the pc would shut off before getting close to that temp. If I turn the water pump off "Temp1" will slowly rise, and when I turn it back on, it instantly drops back to normal.

Temps.png

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2022
There is no need to. In the video it first shows "Core" temp at 38c then instantly jump to 971 and stay there for a little...
I know for a fact the never happened. Did you actually watch the video or just take a random screen shot?

You ran Prime 95 and something was hitting a ridiculous temp.
This time you are not running Prime 95.

Then you say there is no need to even though you now have a reliable way of seeing temperatures. :unsure:

Mar 22, 2022
You ran Prime 95 and something was hitting a ridiculous temp.
This time you are not running Prime 95.

Then you say there is no need to even though you now have a reliable way of seeing temperatures. :unsure:

I was able to play with the power states via AmdMsrTweaker. I can now get it to not throttle.

Also my temps with Prime jump from 38C to255c instantly in HWinfo and 38c to 971c for "Core"in Speedfan.
The temps stay like this as it is no longer throttling. They don't go any higher or lower. No performance issue.
It's almost as if the computer was getting a false reading, as I've read will happen with VRM issues.
The cooling system is not getting any hotter. I have been running prime with all 6 cores overclocked to 4.1 with no issues.

The "Core" temp on speed fan and the thermal margin on Overdrive have always ready crazy numbers even with athlon. Just never throttled its clock due to it.

Was going to post pics and videos but I think it would be a further waste of time at this point.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Please tell us what the cpu cooler is and where the radiator is located, as well as what the chassis is. Thanks for including the cpu and motherboard.

I'm just going to refer to the video you've posted.
Don't use Prime95 Blend mode. Too many variables, because it runs all the other modes, one at a time; Prime 95 can then vary from a moderate cpu load to ludicrously and unrealistically stupid.
Small FFT preset, and disable AVX + AVX2, run for about 10-15 mins for a cpu cooler thermal test. [The cpu doesn't support AVX-512, so you can ignore that one.]
An alternative to the above Prime 95's settings - though it is a little lighter due to not being as constant - is Cinebench R23's thermal test.

Trust AMD Overdrive. The FX cpus run on a different temperature algorithm that other monitoring apps either can't read correctly, or require changing some settings to do so. The latter is where hwinfo falls - not sure about hw monitor or speedfan.
FX-6300 has a thermal margin of 70.5C. As the cpu warms up, this number counts DOWN in Overdrive. Zero, and negative values should trigger the thermal throttling to 1.4ghz.

Reactions: drea.drechsler
Mar 22, 2022
Please tell us what the cpu cooler is and where the radiator is located, as well as what the chassis is. Thanks for including the cpu and motherboard.

I'm just going to refer to the video you've posted.
Don't use Prime95 Blend mode. Too many variables, because it runs all the other modes, one at a time; Prime 95 can then vary from a moderate cpu load to ludicrously and unrealistically stupid.
Small FFT preset, and disable AVX + AVX2, run for about 10-15 mins for a cpu cooler thermal test. [The cpu doesn't support AVX-512, so you can ignore that one.]
An alternative to the above Prime 95's settings - though it is a little lighter due to not being as constant - is Cinebench R23's thermal test.

Trust AMD Overdrive. The FX cpus run on a different temperature algorithm that other monitoring apps either can't read correctly, or require changing some settings to do so. The latter is where hwinfo falls - not sure about hw monitor or speedfan.
FX-6300 has a thermal margin of 70.5C. As the cpu warms up, this number counts DOWN in Overdrive. Zero, and negative values should trigger the thermal throttling to 1.4ghz.

Cooler Master-Master liquid lite 120 AIO "I know its as efficient as a fan and heatsink"
Radiator mounted on rear 120mm case fan socket.
Case is nothing to be proud of either, but I have it decently ventilated. Cool to the touch. I believe the size is mid atx? It's not micro and not full size.

Upon playing with things I found that overclocking all 6cores to 4.1ghz from stock 3.5ghz and raising the voltage to 1.287v from stock 1.212v seems to have fixed my problem..

Weird right? Not sure how overclocking fixes an issue but it just did.

With the same Prime test running for about 35mins stable:
AMD Overdrive drops to 20C max Not the instant spike like in the video
Speedfan's "Core" temp stays around 50c
HWinfo CPU is around 49c

I can feel my radiator putting off more heat too.

I'm not sure how but it seems like overclocking solved my issue...

Reactions: raptor2012rom
Hi. So I recently upgraded an old build's CPU from Athlon II X4 640 to FX 6300

The computer ran fine overclocked with the Athlon. Upon switching to the FX I noticed the CPU is throttling it's clock and voltage with stock settings. (Only when stress testing) With Turbo core on it throttles during normal use so I turned it off.
I put copper heatsinks on the VRM but same results.
Having overclocked an FX 6300, also on a motherboard with a sub-standard VRM, I also think something's thermal throttling.

In addition to the heatsinks locate a fan to blow air directly on the VRM FET's, that's as important as the heatsinks. I spot-tie suspended a 50mm fan between the rear case fan and the CPU heatsink which worked well with my motherboard and case. You are using an AIO so there's no CPU fan exhausting and stirring up the air over the VRM; that makes it even more important to locate a fan there.

Thermal problems aside your 6300 should be good for 4.5-4.8Ghz overclocked. It will need a good deal more voltage though: maybe as high as 1.45 volts. I ran mine at 4.5Ghz, 1.425V, for over 5 years under a CoolerMaster HyperTX3 cooler and the fan blowing on the FET's with glued-on heatsinks same as you've done.

Even though fans were a bit loud it would run fine while playing a game but the VRM overheated moderately frequently during video encodes, throttling clocks to 1.4G until it cooled down. Of course stress tests like P95 did the same even more frequently but it was the video encoding that convinced me it was time to move to a Ryzen: not just for the throttling but over-all performance. I'm pretty sure the TX3 would not have been adequate for the CPU if the VRM never throttled.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2022
Having overclocked an FX 6300, also on a motherboard with a sub-standard VRM, I also think something's thermal throttling.

In addition to the heatsinks locate a fan to blow air directly on the VRM FET's, that's as important as the heatsinks. I spot-tie suspended a 50mm fan between the rear case fan and the CPU heatsink which worked well with my motherboard and case. You are using an AIO so there's no CPU fan exhausting and stirring up the air over the VRM; that makes it even more important to locate a fan there.

Thermal problems aside your 6300 should be good for 4.5-4.8Ghz overclocked. It will need a good deal more voltage though: maybe as high as 1.45 volts. I ran mine at 4.5Ghz, 1.425V, for over 5 years under a CoolerMaster HyperTX3 cooler and the fan blowing on the FET's with glued-on heatsinks same as you've done.

Even though fans were a bit loud it would run fine while playing a game but the VRM overheated moderately frequently during video encodes, throttling clocks to 1.4G until it cooled down. Of course stress tests like P95 did the same even more frequently but it was the video encoding that convinced me it was time to move to a Ryzen: not just for the throttling but over-all performance. I'm pretty sure the TX3 would not have been adequate for the CPU if the VRM never throttled.

Hello. The fx6300 was not overclocked when the issue occurred, and was using less voltage than the previous overclocked athlon than ran with no issues. In the last post I stated that overclocking and raising voltage solved the problem.....

Well 5mins after sending that last post my PC shut off and won't turn back on. My bet is on the power supply by the burning smell radiating from it and whining noises emitted when plugged in to power.

Amazon has one on the way to me today. I will post results. Hopefully it didn't damage the MB in the process.

Mar 22, 2022
UPDATE-

Long story short my motherboard died, CPU died, and power supply.

Not sure what started the chain reaction but i'm betting it was VRM related...

Also 1 day into using new MB and 3 out of 4 stick of ram I have installed failed.

What ever happened practically took out the whole PC!

I now have a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 REV.6.0 Motherboard
and a 500w PS.
Back to using the Athlon until The FX is RMA'd

Performance is excellent

UPDATE-

Long story short my motherboard died, CPU died, and power supply.

Not sure what started the chain reaction but i'm betting it was VRM related...

While I'd not rule out the VRM I'm not so sure I'd blame it first... I'd go with the PSU failed first, taking everything with it. That's really common with older low-end PSU's.

At any rate: hopefully you get a decent upgraded unit to replace it with. No need to go overboard on power output if it's good quality and of modern design.

Reactions: jjoshua20213