AMD FX8320 with a M5 A97 R2.0 motherboard, 750w psu and evo cooler master overclock help

Kittenlover

Reputable
May 1, 2014
Hello, I'm new to the overclocking scene and was just wondering what would be a good safe voltage and overclocked speed for my AMD FX8320. I have a M5 A97 R2.0 motherboard and was planning on using the AMD Overdrive program to do most of the work. I just don't want my cpu to melt as I've never done this before and any guide I've read goes over about a million different possible circumstances or try to overclock it to 5.0 or something. I just wanted to get it around 4.2...maybe 4.3 safely without it melting to my MB and would appreciate any help in my endeavor.

Hi and welcome to the forums!

I don;t know where everyone gets this melting factor from, as that could never happen, your looking at hundreds of degrees celsius for that to happen, when you do a good overclock, you won't tend to go over 80 degrees with a setup like yours, especially with your CPU cooler.

As you may know the 970 chipset is not very good for overclocking, and you are quite lucky, you have one of the best overclocking 970 boards around!. You can go to 4.2-4.3Ghz without a problem, it's safe and will certainly have respectable temps with your CPU cooler. Don't attempt to ever overclock around 5GHz, especially with your motherboard, you will cause damage, and not due to melting, but heat is a contributing factor but instability is the main issue, to get to 5GHz, you need custom water cooling and a 990FX chipset.

Kittenlover

Reputable
May 1, 2014

Thanks, what would be a good voltage for 4.3? Last time I tried at 1.4125 and my system sort of froze.

what is the stock voltage? Only increase the voltage by a bit, not a lot.

sounds like your motherboard isn;t supporting this overclock, as this motherboard is meant to overclock decently for a 970 chipset, your motherboard doesn't seem to do 1.43V very well, sometimes this happens with certain CPU's, though don't let this put you off overclocking.