AMD FX8350 am i running dangerously high temps?

dompis

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
Hello,
I have bought fx 8350, and i use antec 1200 tower. I am running with stock cooler, but it is so damn noisy, thats why i keep my case open then cpu cooler rpm drops from 5k to 2.5k and everybody can sleep but the temperature raise for 10 degrees. I am working my cpu under 100% workload 24/7. I wanted to ask if my temperatures arent dangerously high(check on picture) and how long can i continue like that without any accidents to my pc.

viewer.php
[/URL][/img]

Solution

The 212 EVO is actually about as effective as the H70 water cooler, you have to go to the H80 to see any real gains in cooling...

8350rocks

Distinguished
You do need better cooling, 63C won't cut it. That's too hot...

You need to get something like a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO to keep it cool ($25-30). The stock rig is only adequate for cooling, it gets too close to max temps for my liking (62C is max for AMD CPUs in the FX line), and it's noisy as all get out.

dompis

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013

Thanks for fast answer my friend.Arent like the most cheaper liquid cooling better and more quite like your suggestion? Some corsair h55 or something like that? So you telling me to get new cooler asap? If i close my case it runs with 5000 rpm too loud to sleep but cpu temp is 55C.

you need better cooling. trust me. spend $30 and get a hyper evo 212, your ears and your cpu will thank you for it. you're about at the limits for FX cpu thermal temps and will drastically shorten the life of your cpu if you don't bring them down.

nope. liquid coolers can be quiet but usually not as quiet as a good air cooler, they need higher static pressure fans which tend to be louder then an air cooler uses. and the h55 isn't as good OR quiet as a hyper evo 212.

gamingboy

Honorable
May 5, 2012

Cheap liquid coolers are pretty bad. I would not recommend any of them.

The 212 Evo is a good option, if you want something cheap and effective.

dompis

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013

Thanks for your opinion. So this hyper evo 212 is super good for money it costs? For how much % its better than stock cpu? On how much degrees u think i could get cpu with that cooler? Maybe u can suggest some water coolers which would be a lot better than hypher evo 212 - because i could put some bucks to that and buy something better or hypher evo 212 is enough?

8350rocks

Distinguished

The 212 EVO is actually about as effective as the H70 water cooler, you have to go to the H80 to see any real gains in cooling performance, and that's beginning to get pretty expensive. A mid-range air cooler is typically better than a budget water cooler. If you want to do water cooling, you can build a custom loop, though that can run pretty pricey as well.

EDIT: Your temps on the 212 EVO should likely drop 10-15C with proper thermal paste and application. For thermal paste, something like Arctic Silver 5 would be good, also, the 212 EVO comes with Cooler Master's thermal paste. While it's not quite as good as AS5, it's still more than serviceable.

Solution

they might drop more. depending on the case airflow. a case with excellent airflow will show an even greater drop then that.

dompis

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013

I have antec twelve hundred full tower, It has in my opinion one of the best air flows.

dompis

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013

He he. I have no clue how to use thermalpaste, but at least i know who would know :D

yep. the 1200 has awesome airflow. i have a 902... the airflow is amazing. that whole lineup of antec towers is an aircoolers airflow wetdream.

so get the hyper evo 212, you'd need to spend x2 the money on a bigger air cooler, or x3 the money on a closed loop water cooler to see any noticeable performance gains in cpu cooling.

dompis

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013

I want your thoughts about this guys quote from this thread, please?
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1710284/8350-temps-high.html
He has cpu authority badge and i quote him :
''67C is more than acceptable. In fact, it is relatively chilly. 85C is when you want to be a little careful.''

i'm telling you fx cpus are unstable and get damaged by heat the closer to 70C you get. some will run hotter, but you're really shortening their life. all fx cpus use the same cores and have the same heat ranges. a 6300 and a 8350 have the same thermal limits. it doesn't matter if i'm talking about one or another. the fx lineup probably shouldn't be run day to day at 68C, which is what you're doing... 70C if you round it, but the reality is 68C is probably the max temp you should ever see if you want your chip to last.

8350rocks

Distinguished

He is discussing the FX 8350 without knowing the thermal envelope. For a Phenom II series AMD CPU, that was fine, and he is likely basing his advice on his experience in that realm. However, the 8350 needs to keep a core temp under 62C and a socket temp under 70C

it wasn't even true for the phenomII, most phenoms flat out crashed when they got to 60C... very sensitive cpu for temps. Bulldozer/piledriver are more forgiving about temps then the phenomII, i have seen them run up around 70C like the OP is doing, which i couldn't imagine a phii doing. I just don't think you should ever run them at that temp if you want them to last more then a year.

8350rocks

Distinguished

You know...you're right...I was thinking of Intel's CPUs. TJMax on the Core I series is something like 105C or something.