G-Skill DDR3 2400MHz 32GB at 1866MHz 1.6V
ASUS Crosshair V Formula Z
ASUS STRIX 980Ti OC DC3
Antec HCP Platinum 1000W
Corsair C70 Vengeance
Windows 7 64-bit Profesional
3 x SSD Samsung 850 EVO
3 x HDD 1TB Barracuda, 5TB Toshiba X300, one old 1TB Seagate drive

Sorry for my English but it’s not my native language. Some time ago I had FX8150 at @4.4GHz but this CPU was weak so after many years I bought FX9590 for good price. Now I have real problem to cool down FX9590 and need your help. I don't have frezes or throtling but Core Temps are make me nervous.
At stock speed 4.7GHz and 1.44V after PC start (when coolant in H115i is still almost at ambient) I can perform short test for example AMD Over Drive Stability Test or few times Cinebench R15 and CPU Core temps will be under 68C so this is almost good. But after one hour of gaming if I even try to load this same test the temperature spikes to 78C or higher - just aborting whole test. This is too much! I haven’t even think about Prime95 or IntelBurn. Today I have been playing Thea The Awakening for 4 hours temps were at 59C on Core, 43C on water, 58C on motherboard whatever this sensor is on Corsair Link, 35C on another motherboard sensor. After gaming I tried to start DOOM. Few seconds later I saw on Corsair Link CPU Core 78C+ when game was just loading intro movies. This same temps I can easily get on Civilization VI. I really can’t undervolt my CPU much more because it’s unstable with 4.7GHz. At full load this CPU just make such great amount of heat that H115i can’t dissipate it? Some people on this forum use H100i and its works so what wrong with my hardware? Noctuas fans on my H115i are working at 2200-2700 rpm (depending on water temperature) with push configuration blowing out on top of Corsair C70 Vengeance case. From bottom I have one Prolimatech Vortex 140mm as intake and in side window 2 x 140mm Noctua Industrial PPC 2000 PWM working on max performance blowing air into the case through graphic card. On back and front I have this stock fans from Corsair case. I am thinking to buy one 140mm Noctua 3000 PWM to replace the bottom fan, one 120mm Enermax D.F. Storm to replace back fan and install somehow with additional brackets 140mm Akasa Viper blowing air into VRM and CPU socket.
What’s wrong with my PC? What can I do to save this upgrade? Some UEFI BIOS settings?

Solution

It could also simply be an improperly binned 9590, its common.
A 9590 is just a binned 8350 (which is just a higher clocked 8320), sometimes the factory binning process clears a processor for 9590 speeds, but in actuality it cant handle those speeds outside of factory tests.

What you have could likely be an OCed 8350 that cant maintain 9590 speeds.
G

Thank you for your answer and sugestion. Yes whole AIO is still on warranty for one year or little bit longer. Well I don't know if the pump is failing. On Corsair Link I can read 3000 rpm or less if I pick other speed option. Can't hear strange noises and inlet pipe is much cooler than the outlet one.

First three years this H115i was working with FX8150 on 4.6GHz 1.48V but I couldn't make it cool under 65C under stress so I thought that FX9590 would be better solution in the future because of better architecture and some changes in design. And it is better in performance and even in thermal endurance - it can hit 78C and still working. My FX8150 was turning off when hits 70C.

From the first day when I installed AMD FX9590 I had wild Core temperature spikes like 165C or 237C but I thought that probably the waterblock was mounted incorect and it was. One bolt near socket was loose (gap under backplate in one side) so the waterblock didn't fully touch the CPU. I manage to fix this error very fast. No spikes even today but at long usage this CPU hits 75C+ after 12 minutes from start when water has almost ambient temperature. Today I made some test. 4.4GHz 1.44V in BIOS some function like LLC to medium, Current to 110%1 ect. just lower than they used to be. At those settings my FX9590 is stable as rock on very long "burn" test at 63C. Fantastic but this frequency gives me noticble less performance. I just want this CPU to work with 4.7GHz no wild OC. Maybe my temperature inside the case is too hot.

Oh I forgot I am using Thermal Grizzly Kryonout thermal compound on my CPU, spreading technique, thin layer.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Generally speaking, if you can get a 9590 running and stable, asking for much more is a bit greedy. It works fine at FX-8350 settings because it's a essentially an 8350 that has had the bejeesus clocked out of it. You're always going to have a ton of heat from that thing. There's a reason that this was probably the least recommendable consumer CPU since the late era Pentium 4s. Hopefully you got a sweet deal on it; there's no real architecture advantage this CPU has over any Ryzen and it would have made more sense to start putting that money towards a platform that isn't from 2012.

G

All true and agree with everything but maybe some BIOS settings will help me to make this beast cool a little bit more and make it working at 4.7GHz? Maybe some users will post some temperatures of theirs equipment that I can compare with.

"...asking for much more is a bit greedy" - Good point but I bought this hardware and I want the stock speed of this CPU and use it like many users before me without concerns that will melt. I have some thermal issue and need some advice. Please don't write suggestions like sell it / buy something else / this is obsolete.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

It's not a good idea to ask questions if you're not prepared for answers you don't want to hear.

Heat is a function of work. There are no settings in BIOS that will make a single CPU do the same amount of work for less heat; it's just a matter of thermal dynamics, physically removing the heat from the CPU to your room. I'm trying to prevent you from throwing more good money after bad. For the amount you're going to spend trying to cool this thing, you could've bought a modern platform that isn't obsolete. As it is, you have a $150 cooler, a $220 power supply, a $200 motherboard, a $400 GPU, and $300 in RAM to trick out a CPU that isn't preferable to a Kaby Lake Pentium or the Ryzen 2200g unless you specifically have tasks that can use six cores and even then, it's much closer than you'd think. You could get so much better performance with the money you've invested in this rig.

When I say don't be greedy, it's because this CPU wasn't binned as well as AMD suggested and many people have trouble getting this CPU to be stable at all at stock clocks. That yours is running stable and not burning your house down is a victory in itself.

G

Throwing good money? So you want me to invest not 100$ more to get better air-cooling and possibility to use some of those parts in future, but you want me to invest at least 4000-4500$ (this is approximately cost of whole new rig that I want). Strange discussion without any solution. You didn't told anything about Load Line Calibration, Current Capability and others from DIGI+Power Controls options. Even connection between CPU and VRM temperatures. Those are important in OC FX CPU and some examples would be precious. Like example temperatures in stress testing, some work on browser or gaming and idle. At this point your only suggestion is – stop wasting money, buy something else and leave this problem. Thank you for your help.

Buy something else and leave this problem is actually the best recommendation for the 9590.
At launch, maybe, maybe, it might have been worth trying to get stable. But youre dumping time and effort into antiquated hardware that does not live up to the effort. You should also be checking temps with AMD OD's thermal margin, not corsair link.

On a side note, if your next PC is planned at 4.5k, there are some serious priority issues with that build.

G

Guys, really, this CPU gives me exact performance that I want, but at 4.7GHz not 4.4GHz. So do I really need new rig? No :) But I just want safe temps and searching some knowledge or examples how to beat this FX. I don't know at this point is my ambient temperature around case is too high, weak thermal compound or really some pump problems with AIO or settings in BIOS are wasted.

Yes I am using AMD Over Drive to check thermal margin and it's corect with readings with Corsair Link and Core Temp.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Why would you need to invest $4500? You have most of what you need already.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus - Prime X470-Pro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($182.89 @ B&H)
Memory: Patriot - Viper Elite 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2800 Memory ($319.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $712.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-05-31 15:51 EDT-0400

This would absolutely eviscerate your FX 9590 and still keeps the 32 GB of RAM (assuming you actually need 32 GB) for a fraction of what you think an upgrade would cost. Sell the 9590 for at the $80 it goes used and you can likely get $100 for the motherboard and $175 for the RAM. And if $350 for a much better rig than what you currently have doesn't work for you, sell the power supply and get something that isn't ludicrously over-specced for your rig and save another $75.

The fundamental problem with your PC is that you have a tricked-out 1992 Ford Taurus and you're not understanding why after you keep dumping money into it, it's not as fast or as efficient as a Ferrari.

Since you're not interested in advice other than that you wish to hear, all I can do is wish you luck.

By the way, load line calibration and current capability have zero to do with what you're talking about here; your problem with heat is not a voltage stability issue nor is it that your motherboard is detecting an overcurrent condition. If you're going to throw out terms you don't understand to try and shame others, I'd recommend choosing a much loss knowledgeable forum for your self-puffery.

Good luck with your rig.

It could also simply be an improperly binned 9590, its common.
A 9590 is just a binned 8350 (which is just a higher clocked 8320), sometimes the factory binning process clears a processor for 9590 speeds, but in actuality it cant handle those speeds outside of factory tests.

What you have could likely be an OCed 8350 that cant maintain 9590 speeds.

Solution
G

So you are telling me that manual voltage like 1.45V and LLC to extreme and current capability to 130% there won't be more heat?? Interesting. So why under load the voltage will rise above 1.5V?? And motherboard temps spiking to 69C at load? Do you own any FX and Asus board because both of you writed Intel i5 & i7 CPUs.

I am not trying to shame anyone. Just searching something like this:

[Extreme Tweaker]
Disable AMD Turbo Core Technology
[Digi+]
Load Line Calibration: Regular (yes, the 9590 @ 4.7 is stable at this lowest setting)
Current Capability: 100%
CPU Power Phase Control: Extreme
Switching Frequency: Manual
VRM FFM: 300
CPU Power Duty Control: Extreme
CPU Power Response: Medium

[Advanced->North Bridge->Memory configuration]
Disable ECC

[Tool->Asus SPD information]
Take note of the profile you want to run your memory at. Write down first seven values,and the last one (CR)

[Extreme Tweaker]
Manually choose the memory frequency.
Enter the Dram voltage that goes with the profile. (more towards bottom of page)

[Dram Timing Control]
Manually enter the first four timings,and at the bottom set the Command Rate.

Don't change any other frequencies or voltages.
Thoroughly test your system, like 24h of IBT on Maximum.
If it succeeds, store a profile in your BIOS profile page and call it 'stable'
Move on from here if you want to make any other changes in BIOS. Repeat the stress test after changing stuff! Should it fail, revert to your 'stable' profile.

Temps in Prime95 at low 60s

So it is possible.

Obsolete gear - YES so what. I can still use it and it's enough for me.
Thanks for help guys. Going to shop on monday as you wish.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Try unplugging the rear exhaust, just use the h115 as the only top exhaust. With an aio that's fine as heat rises from the gpu, the fans just help it out. Adding a rear exhaust can upset the flow of air, basically helping to rob the top rear fan of much of its draw.

Might help.