News AMD Genoa-X 96-Core CPU With 1.1 GB of L3 Cache Listed For $1,300 on Grey Market

gg83

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2015
I was under the impression that memory eats power. But double the cache didn't dould the power? Is it a certain type of memory? Or is it sending data from cpu to ram where all the energy is used? So high cache chips are the way to go moving forward?

I was under the impression that memory eats power. But double the cache didn't dould the power? Is it a certain type of memory? Or is it sending data from cpu to ram where all the energy is used? So high cache chips are the way to go moving forward?
Are just going by TDP numbers or do you have other sources?
Because if the cache uses more power the cores could run slower to not go above the TDP.
Also not all of the cache will be fully loaded all of the time, but that's just a guess that they will use less power if not fully loaded.

Reactions: gg83

ottonis

Reputable
Jun 10, 2020
A 96-core CPU with 3D-cash technology for as low as 1300 USD? That's too good to be true, even considered it's second-hand.
Except the only way such a part is being offered that cheap is that it may be defective or - as an engeneering sample - vastly fails its minimum specifications in terms of voltage, frequency, turbo-behaviors, etc.

Reactions: domih

InvalidError

Titan
I was under the impression that memory eats power. But double the cache didn't dould the power?
SRAM doesn't use much power compared to CPU/GPU logic. My guesstimation based on the fastest, largest discrete SRAM chip I could find that still provided standby figures is about 10W per GB, or roughly 1W per v-cached CCD.

A 96-core CPU with 3D-cash technology for as low as 1300 USD? That's too good to be true, even considered it's second-hand.
Yes, definitely looks suspicious.

Reactions: gg83 and Makaveli