AMD Gives Up Remaining Globalfoundries Shares, Pays $425M

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Maybe Global Foundries will finally have some pressure to get their yields up to par with other fabs around the world. Intel is bashing AMD over the head with their fabs since AMD was stuck with the lack luster efforts of GF.

now amd will soar in the sky, flying through all the negativism, like a shining bright light amidst monopoly, price fixing and underhanded tactics. they will make so much profit that intel will be caught off guard. amd will bathe in the sweet water of success.

I wish that AMD didn't have to pay any thing at considering how much they have lost over the years because of GF. Poor yields and semi functional samples that amd is often forced to sell into retail channels is killing the company.

fuzzion

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
The last AMD product i used was the thunderbird. Ah the good ol days when you could brag to your friends that AMD was the best gaming CPU with awesome floating point calculations.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]I wish that AMD didn't have to pay any thing at considering how much they have lost over the years because of GF. Poor yields and semi functional samples that amd is often forced to sell into retail channels is killing the company.[/citation]

ya, i totally agree, it should be the other way around. GF should be paying AMD for all the crap they caused, and AMD is giving up its shares of the company, they just can't get a break.

theuniquegamer

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
Very very wisely decided by AMD to break relation ship with that faulty wafer manufacturer (GF). Because of them AMD has to sell lock the faulty cores of a quad cores and sell it at a lower price of a dual core.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Reading only the headline: You give up your remaining shares in GF and you pay $425m. Confusing. Then you read the details: You have a new agreement to pay the $425m to end an old exclusivity agreement with GF. You're pleased with GF performance yet you're willing to pay $703m to get the f* out of an exclusivity deal with them.

fuzznarf

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
it was well worth it for AMD to get out. A small price to pay for the flexibility and security that comes with diversifying amongst 3rd party manufacturing. Not only can AMD now shop other chip manufacturers, but they are now able to set up AMD-controlled production if needed. I wouldn't be surprised if AMD started to set up their own gpu production within the next 2 years.

G

What's with the GF bashing? This was the plan all along. Let's not forget why GF was created and the financial state that AMD was in before GF was concieved. It's probably the reason AMD is still around as a contender.

fuzznarf

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
[citation][nom]HardWorkLuck[/nom]What's with the GF bashing? This was the plan all along. Let's not forget why GF was created and the financial state that AMD was in before GF was concieved. It's probably the reason AMD is still around as a contender.[/citation]

GF has been a source of production issues for AMD since it was conceived. AMD spun GF off to be more flexible and it became their biggest hindrance. GF never really got production up to competitive output levels and constantly had quality issues. They also were the cause of a lot of AMD's delays.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I too hope AMD once again claims the CPU performance title because this will only spur Intel and other CPU companies into tougher competition which will benefit the consumers. Intel would not have offered better products if AMD did not beat them at their won game for a period of time. Also if GF has been more of a bottleneck than a partner then the news is very welcomed!

G

Global Foundries WAS AMD !!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GlobalFoundries

Now AMD will have a little more flexibility in deciding who gets tender of Manufacture on their design.

Of course AMD have to pay to get out of exclusivity contract, GF was essentially SOLD in that state to private investment Consortium with Abu Dhabi's Advanced Technology Investment Co! being the largest.

They would have wanted AMD tied to using them for a period of time, or what would be the point in them investing!

This still leaves AMD short on their Design front though, and that is where AMD has real issues in the CPU world.. Maybe the CPU design guys should spend more time with the GPU guys to see how to execute correctly!

beetlejuicegr

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
Damn, i still remember the times where AMD news were about cpus capable of beating intel cpus easily and were the gamer's cpu :/
Now they made Intel cocky, giving a new socket every 6 months and mostly incompatible with previous sockets...

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]fuzzion[/nom]The last AMD product i used was the thunderbird. Ah the good ol days when you could brag to your friends that AMD was the best gaming CPU with awesome floating point calculations.[/citation]
Now are the days where i can brag that i got the best bang for the buck, and tell people just how much less i spent for a machine that performs negligibly less than an intel computer, but with many more coolass features.

v3rlon

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
AMD manufacturing wasn't this kind of problem until they spun it off into a separate organization. They did the spin off to generate some cash, which they now have to pay back to get out of using the manufacturing facilities they built because of yield issues. They could have just given the fabs away and been better off. The legacy of Hector Ruiz.

f-14

Distinguished
last ditch move to save AMD, this is the beginning of the end unless AMD has specs equivelent or greater than intels already drawn up for 20 nm and the capital to have them built.

v3rlon

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
I could not easily count the number of times I heard that doom and gloom. One day, it will be true. It MIGHT even work out to be true this time.

Assuming that TSMC can handle the process integration, I am pretty sure AMD can make a competitve processor.

tmk221

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
Could someone explain me why AMD is to pay GF $425m? I mean AMD gives up their 8% in GF so GF should pay cash to AMD. Do I get something wrong?

maxinexus

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
That's is exactly what I'm thinking...perhaps GF will pay AMD because AMD just acquired seamicro for 300+ mils so where would they come up with that much money unless GF pay them for the shares...

Status
Not open for further replies.