amd gpu bios modding for gaming - need advice

Hello all

As many miners flash their gpu's to optimize the gpu for mining
I figured it should also be possible to do the same for gaming purposes

Can anyone with experience in this field help me out?

I currently use a Vapor-X R9 280X 3G D5

I am not looking to "max the card out" as far as i can, just to get a bump up and gain some experience doing these kind of things

(i am aware of the risks - that's why i am using an older, out-of-warranty card)

Solution
Flashing Bios for gaming will make no change in your GPU as the new GPU might only have little difference in core clock which you can increase yourself by overclocking the GPU. Flashing the GPU only make sense when the GPU's BIOS is causing BSOD or some other errors.
You might end up with a DEAD GPU if you flash an incorrect BIOS file with your GPU.

Mining is different than gaming because mining is totally based on the Vram and memory clock of the GPU which can be modded with certain apps and then made put into the "BIOS FILE" to make it easier for miners to flash the bios and get higer MEMORY CLOCK from the gpu without flashing.

I would suggest you to not flash your GPU just for the sake of GAMING improvements because in the best...

mhtsgr999

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013
Flashing Bios for gaming will make no change in your GPU as the new GPU might only have little difference in core clock which you can increase yourself by overclocking the GPU. Flashing the GPU only make sense when the GPU's BIOS is causing BSOD or some other errors.
You might end up with a DEAD GPU if you flash an incorrect BIOS file with your GPU.

Mining is different than gaming because mining is totally based on the Vram and memory clock of the GPU which can be modded with certain apps and then made put into the "BIOS FILE" to make it easier for miners to flash the bios and get higer MEMORY CLOCK from the gpu without flashing.

I would suggest you to not flash your GPU just for the sake of GAMING improvements because in the best case scenario, you might get 2-3 Extra fps than now which is not worth risking your GPU.
But in case you want to give it a try, below is the link to download the BIOS file from a trusted place
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?architecture=&manufacturer=&model=R9+280X&interface=&memType=&memSize=&since=

Choose exact GPU Brand,memoy etc

Reactions: gamingminer
Solution
Jun 8, 2019
I have reflashed my GPUs on eth mining rigs before and am very confident in it. My question for you is. Do you see any reason not to flash the GPU on my gaming rig so I can experiment with mining altcoins on it?

mhtsgr999