AMD GPU Driver BSOD. Help!

Nercis

Honorable
Jun 8, 2014
Hello. I just want to be clear on a few things. And sorry for my English and sorry for the novel below.

First, Im not a tech head, im more technologically handicapped but I'm also not totally oblivious when it comes to computers.

I use the auto detect manager (let's call it ADM for now, cus i don't remember the actual name for it) from the AMD website.
The ADM tells me that i want to download Radeon R9 2XX series drivers. Is that actually correct? Cus I have a Radeon HD 7950 graphic card.
So ignored it and instead I downloaded 14-4-win7-win8-win8.1-64-dd-ccc-whql.exe .

So what happened was that i started the installation and the installation was finished, no reboot message or anything. So now i move on to the 14.6 Beta driver, Installation starts and a window pops up saying something like,
Advanced Micro Device update something, click "OK" or "CANCEL" I click OK. It maybe was an admin message from my PC, I'm not sure. After I click OK the screen turns black and then blue screen. My PC reboots and now my PC can't find my GPU. And i get Blue Screen every 15-20 minutes.

Now I update everything i can update with Windows Updater and I uninstall all the drivers using the AMD Catalyst and reinstalled the 14-4-win7-win8-win8.1-64-dd-ccc-whql.exe and i ignore the 14.6 Beta drivers and don't install it.
Still getting Blue Screen. But now it is not every 15 minutes. And it seems that i only get Blue Screen when my PC is in "idle mode" or it might be just random. And there doesn't seems to be any problems when I play games. Not yet anyway.

After that I used a third party driver remover called Display Driver Uninstaller. Uninstalled the drivers with that and reinstalled the 14-4-win7-win8-win8.1-64-dd-ccc-whql.exe again.
And I still get Blue Screen.

I just wanted to make things a bit more clear before i do anything more and explain my confusion about the Radeon R9 2XX series drivers and that i have an Radeon HD 7950.
Please respond and help me. This is a new PC and i have spent over 2000 dollars on it and i don't want to spend another 2000.

My PC:

Win 7 64bit
Motherboard MSI Z77 MPower (MS-7751)
i5-3570K 3.40
8GB RAM Kingston HyperX
Radeon 7950

/Matthe

C1ick2Kn0w

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014
Hi Matthe

The AMD Radeon Desktop Graphics HD 7000 Series is only available in four models:
>HD 7700
>HD 7800
>HD 7900 and
>HD 7990.

I also checked the model numbers for the Laptop graphics, the Workstation graphics and the Notebook Workstation graphics and AMD does not manufacture any cards with a model number of 7950.

This means that you have blue screen problems because your card and the driver you have installed are different.

To fix this, download the AMD Driver Detect Tool from AMD, go to http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool and click the download link.

Run the tool and let the tool detect the Radeon graphics card in your computer, download the driver for it and install it for you, and your problem should be gone.I've used the tool to detect and update my AMD graphics card driver, it identified my card correctly and installed the new driver without any problems.

Just so you know, you don't need to use D.D. Uninstaller or uninstall any previous driver/s again. The old driver is automatically unistalled when the new driver is installed - just like a car can only have 1 person driving at a time.

Hope I've chased your blues away

Nercis

Honorable
Jun 8, 2014

The Radeon HD 7950 is a card from the HD 7900 series. But AMD says that the R9 200 series drivers are compatible with my card. So i should probably get that. Image Link: http://
And i have not worked it out yet. I'm gonna uninstall the drivers with the catalyst and reboot and then use the DDU and reboot and just wait and see if i get a Blue Screen gain to see if it is windows that is damaged. If i don't get a blue screen there is probably something wrong with the drivers. So then i will install older drivers just to see if something happens.

Mark Randles

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014
Some of the R7 2xx cards are rebadged 79xx cards. Literally the same cards just with different stickers. Found that out reading the GPU comparison on Toms main site yesterday. Thats why its recommending those drivers.

fir3w0rx

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014
A common cause of a BSoD is an overheating CPU. Check it's temperature when using hardware acceleration, Catalyst Control Center/AMD Settings, converting files, or anything else that could possibly cause your CPU to work harder. Anything above 80 degrees celsius (176 F) is too hot.

If it IS getting too hot, check that your thermal paste hasn't dried up. If the paste is ok but your CPU is still overheating, then you'll have to get a better cooler.