AMD GPU drivers. BAH!!

So I guessi should ask what is the latest stable and crimson driver available? Here's what I've got.

Ryzen 1600 overclocked to 3.7ghz
ASRock AB350m Pro 4
8gb crucial ballistix ddr4 4 2400
RX 480 8gb Nitro by Sapphire
Samsung Evo 960 240gb nvme drive
1tb mechanical drive
EVGA 600b 600 watt power supply

I play a lot of world of warships. Past couple of months I started getting some crashes when playing and now recently when even loading with a crash to desktop.

Finally got fed up with the issues yesterday and after 2-3 hours reinstalling the application etc, I have reached the conclusion that the GPU drivers are at fault.

If I completely remove the AMD crimson drivers and allow Windows to install drivers using Windows updates, it's happy as a lark without the crimson drivers. If I even download 16.11.5 I think, it's fine.

Too bad about that too, because they introduced a new feature called enhanced sync which is basically an improved version of vsync and works pretty well. However I don't think that feature is in 16.11.5 mentioned above.

I had a Radeon 7950 before this card, and I do have a return policy on the card. It's clear it's the fault of amds drivers and not the card though. Just enough to make me really think Nvidia will be the next card I buy.

If anyone is a world of tanks player with a newer amd GPU, you may know what I'm talking about.

One of the main features of Enhanced Sync is to enable Dynamic VSync (same as NVidia's Adaptive VSync).

That enables VSYNC if you can maintain 60FPS (for 60Hz monitor), but disables VSYNC if you can't. This does add screen tearing, but it eliminates the added stuttering that you get if VSYNC is ON but your FPS isn't high enough to match the refresh rate.

*You can force that on per-game using RadeonPro.

Then tweak the game so drops below 60FPS are maybe 5 to 10% of the time (good balance between screen tear at times but highest visual fidelity you can get).

**If you get a good FREESYNC monitor then your games run fairly smooth when in the asynchronous range (which is as low as 40FPS to 60FPS for some Freesync monitors).

Ideally you want a monitor with at least 2.5x the max/min ratio such as 30Hz to 75Hz as this allows LFC (Low Framerate Compensation) which means for example dropping to 25FPS doesn't kick you out of Freesync as the driver simply resends the same frame to the monitor so you'd get "50FPS" to stay in the tear-free range but it's still only 25 visually different frames.

It's actually the last 2-3 versions that give me issues including that one from November 2. I even ran amds cleanup tool and still it persists. I'll have to look more at it when I get back home. But the crashing issues aren't present with older drivers such as 16.11.5 or the driver from Windows update.