[SOLVED] AMD GPU not using its max usage for fps.

daftpunkindian

Commendable
May 15, 2018
First of all, I'd like to tell about my specs

PC Specs:

CPU : AMD Ryzen 3 2200G 3.7 GHz (OC)
GPU : SAPPHIRE RX 570 Nitro+ 4GB GDDR5
RAM : ADATA Premier 8GB 3000MHz (OC)
Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-A320M-S2H Ultra Durable
HDD : Toshiba 1TB
SSD : WD Green 120GB
PSU : Corsair VS550
(OC) Stands for overclock.

So after searching plenty of forums and videos I decided to make thread as my last hope, As the title says I'm not getting fps because my GPU is not using like 90-100% utlization. I've made thread on AMD forums but some people said that my CPU is bottle necking my GPU and said to change my CPU. So, I browsed in internet if my CPU is really bottle necking my GPU and found this https://pc-builds.com/calculator/Ryzen_3_2200G/Radeon_RX_570/0Po0Yl44/ as you can see there are no possibilities to get bottle neck. So in past 2-3 days ago I reinstalled my windows from original source website then after installing some drivers and I ran games on fresh windows (I don't have pirated games) and I found that my gpu was using 90-100% I was happy that It got fixed but after few hours that problem started again so I had doubt that I installed something that caused this. After that I again reinstalled my windows to fix this and then I got same result that it got fixed again so after that I didn't installed any software expect drivers for one day so next day after windows update the problem started again. The games I've tested are GTA V, PUBG PC, CS:GO all 3 games are not using high usage but PUBG PC LITE and Metro Redux 2033 are working fine and using 100% usage. I want to know what is causing this. Please help me.

Edit: I forgot to point that when I set some settings to low like graphics, details fps are not increased but GPU usage gets to the 20-30%

Last edited:
Solution
If the CPU can't tell the GPU what frames to render fast enough, the GPU won't be at 100% utilization. The games you listed (GTA V, PUBG PC, CS:GO ) are all pretty CPU-heavy games. GTA V is a common game to use in CPU gaming benchmarks, PUBG is just garbage all-around, and CSGO is so easy on the GPU that you're almost always CPU-limited no matter what you have (within reason).

You're probably getting more GPU utilization after a fresh windows install because you don't/didn't have all your programs installed yet. Once you get background processes tugging for CPU resources during games, the GPU utilization will go down.

And yes, if you're CPU-limited, lowering game settings won't change much/anything.

daftpunkindian

Commendable
May 15, 2018
Dont trust those online bottleneck calculators. I have a Ryzen 3 1200 @3.7ghz (nearly identical CPU performance to your 2200g) and it can limit my RX580 in some demanding scenarios, but not much.

CPU and GPU temps?

That online bottleneck calculators was just to prove that the cpu and gpu can't be bottle necked but I've watched 2-3 videos about this gpu and cpu and there are no bottle necks in my view.
CPU Temp: 60-65
GPU Temp: 75-80 on full load.

What are your CPU temps, and also is that ram in single channel, or dual channel? Did you download the latest drivers, straight from AMD?
CPU Temp: 60-65, Yes it single channel ram and the drivers are latest and downloaded from amd website
Those bottleneck calculators are complete garbage, don’t use them.

A 4 core cpu can limit some modern cpu heavy games even when paired with a moderate gpu. 4 core/thread can struggle with 60fps in some games regardless of gpu choice.
GTA V and PUBG PC are modern?

That online bottleneck calculators was just to prove that the cpu and gpu can't be bottle necked but I've watched 2-3 videos about this gpu and cpu and there are no bottle necks in my view.
CPU Temp: 60-65
GPU Temp: 75-80 on full load.

GTA V and PUBG PC are modern?
The website proves nothing, you cannot calculate a bottleneck. A rough principle is the cpu determines the best FPS you can achieve, the gpu determines at what resolution and game settings you can achieve that FPS at. Now there are other factors but it is entirely possible and very likely that cpu will limit performance in some games.

Something that might also have an impact is your RAM setup. Is your RAM 1x8gb or 2x4gb?

daftpunkindian

Commendable
May 15, 2018
GTA V is heavily CPU dependent. Bottleneck calculators are garbage.
Okay, I agree that bottle neck calculators are garbage and also GTA 5 is CPU dependent but why I don't get fps when I lower the settings and but still not achieve a single fps? only usage gets down. People made videos on youtube and proved that the this GPU and CPU are good pair and have no chance to get bottle neck are those videos garbage too?

daftpunkindian

Commendable
May 15, 2018
The website proves nothing, you cannot calculate a bottleneck. A rough principle is the cpu determines the best FPS you can achieve, the gpu determines at what resolution and game settings you can achieve that FPS at. Now there are other factors but it is entirely possible and very likely that cpu will limit performance in some games.

Something that might also have an impact is your RAM setup. Is your RAM 1x8gb or 2x4gb?
RAM is 1x8GB. please read the whole thread I was able to achieve fps before.

If the CPU can't tell the GPU what frames to render fast enough, the GPU won't be at 100% utilization. The games you listed (GTA V, PUBG PC, CS:GO ) are all pretty CPU-heavy games. GTA V is a common game to use in CPU gaming benchmarks, PUBG is just garbage all-around, and CSGO is so easy on the GPU that you're almost always CPU-limited no matter what you have (within reason).

You're probably getting more GPU utilization after a fresh windows install because you don't/didn't have all your programs installed yet. Once you get background processes tugging for CPU resources during games, the GPU utilization will go down.

And yes, if you're CPU-limited, lowering game settings won't change much/anything.

Solution
Oct 6, 2019
i have the same problem, i upgraded my ryzen 1600 to 3600 but i'm getting the same fps in all games with GPU clock speed around 600mhz (my GPU is rx 5700xt ) , and changing to low settings does not increase fps but reducing the clock speed of my gpu under 600mhz...

ex: battlefield 1 1080p low -> 112 fps (on Ryzen 1600 and now Ryzen 3600) GPU clock speed (580 to 600)
battlefield 1 1440p low -> 115 fps (on Ryzen 1600 and now Ryzen 3600) GPU clock speed (600 to 800)
battlefield 1 4k low -> 125+ fps (on Ryzen 1600 and now Ryzen 3600) GPU clock speed 1700+

IT IS NOT CPU BOTTLENECK CASE.

***IT IS NOT CPU BOTTLENECK CASE*

Ryzen 5 3600 @4100mhz
16 GB @ 3200
Aorus b450
RX 5700 xt

i have the same problem, i upgraded my ryzen 1600 to 3600 but i'm getting the same fps in all games with GPU clock speed around 600mhz (my GPU is rx 5700xt ) , and changing to low settings does not increase fps but reducing the clock speed of my gpu under 600mhz...
Your example is LITERALLY the definition of a CPU bottleneck. See how you get the same FPS at 1080p Low as you do at 4K Low even though that's a huge difference in GPU demand. Not only that, but you can SEE that your GPU is "asleep" at 1080p Low (as it should be for a 5700XT), and is fully "awake" at 4K Low.

The 5700XT is capable of running Battlefield at 1440p Ultra settings @ 115FPS, so anything less than that is not fully challenging your GPU. Change your settings to 4K Ultra and I bet you get ~65FPS.

Conversely, keep your existing settings, but limit your CPU frequency to 2GHz. I bet FPS goes down.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX
Oct 6, 2019
Your example is LITERALLY the definition of a CPU bottleneck. See how you get the same FPS at 1080p Low as you do at 4K Low even though that's a huge difference in GPU demand. Not only that, but you can SEE that your GPU is "asleep" at 1080p Low (as it should be for a 5700XT), and is fully "awake" at 4K Low.

The 5700XT is capable of running Battlefield at 1440p Ultra settings @ 115FPS, so anything less than that is not fully challenging your GPU. Change your settings to 4K Ultra and I bet you get ~65FPS.

Conversely, keep your existing settings, but limit your CPU frequency to 2GHz. I bet FPS goes down.
Again IT IS NOT CPU BOTTLENECK CASE , i tested 2 CPUs, the 1600 and the 3600 (the 3600 is beating the 1600 in every aspects up to 30%) but in those 2 games i get the same fps.

today i changed RAM timing settings, i got strange behavior from the rx 5700xt:
BF1 at 1080p all low i got an average of 180 fps and GPU clocked at 1500+ mhz
for about 4 minutes, after that the gpu started to down clock itself to 600mhz with 112 fps.

BF4 for the first time was running at 250+ fps at 1080 all low ,( the 1600 was not able to stable at 200 fps at the same settings)

it's driver issues and AMD has to solve it.
btw... if i used DP the VRAM stuck at max speed 1750mhz...the driver is not stable (19.9.2)

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2019

and you can check this video here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq2sTj51C4c&t=822s

it is R5 3600 + RTX 2070..first he started at 1080p ultra, 140 fps at average.
My point that the rx5700 xt is giving more fps at battlefield on the same cpu , it is optimized better for those games.

also this one (same cpu with rtx 2060) and it gives more fps at ultra
:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c5ufXAGtTs&t=125s

in my case it is not running as it should be!

My cpu (stock 3570k) is similar in performance to a 2200G. It does hold back game performance in some games for sure. The worst is Grim Dawn which uses the same engine from Titan Quest, it only uses one and a half cores from what I can tell.

I don't really get the whole bottleneck question anyway are you asking whether an $80 cpu will have the same performance as a $500 cpu? Clearly a $500 9900k will give much higher 0.1% and 1% lows in most games.