[SOLVED] AMD gpu overclock not sticking after shutdown/reboot.

bfollett

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2005
I recently got an Rx 6600 and I've been working on overclock it using AMD's own Adrenalin software, but every time I shutdown or reboot all the overclock settings are back to defaults. I did a little web searching and I've already made sure my bios is not in fast boot mode and that windows power scheme doesn't have Fast Startup enabled, but that didn't solve the problem. Anyone with any ideas what else to try? I have the latest updates to the software/drivers.

Solution
As far as I know, there's no video card overclocking software that allows the overclock to stick. You have to run the application to enable the overclocking.

Which I think is a good design. If for some reason the overclock doesn't actually work, you don't want it to stick and effectively brick your card.

bfollett

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2005
I was hoping I wouldn't have to reload the overclock settings ever boot up. I used to use MSI Afterburner which has an apply overclock at startup option, but Afterburner only has a max gpu frequency setting. It doesn't have a minimum gpu frequency setting like the Amd software and from what I've read that setting is important when overclocking these newer cards. Can anyone else confirm that the AMD software has no option to load the gpu overclock on startup?

It doesn't have a minimum gpu frequency setting like the Amd software and from what I've read that setting is important when overclocking these newer cards.
Where did you read this? I don't see any real benefit in setting a minimum frequency other than to just burn through power. And if I were to guess, if it's to "prevent the card from downclocking so it doesn't cause hiccups," that's usually the CPU's fault.

bfollett

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2005
I've read and watched a few different overclocking videos for the 6600 and they suggest setting the min value to about 100 lower than max . Below is a quote from: AMD Radeon RX 6600 Review - Great for 1080p Gaming - Overclocking | TechPowerUp
"For GPU overclocking, the situation is similar, but I found that maxing out both the minimum and maximum clock resulted in negative performance scaling. My best overclocking performance results were with the "max clock" slider at the maximum and the "min clock" slider slightly below. It took repeated benchmark runs to find the sweet spot."

And below is a video
How to OVERCLOCK and UNDERVOLT RX 6600 | ADRENALIN 2021 Easy Tutorial - YouTube

Solution