News AMD GPU Partner Collects RX 7900 XTX 110C Hotspot User Reports

Its seems that there could be a potential issue with how tight the screws are, or not.

At least thats what Der8auer find out after putting some "new", new thermal paste on his 7900XTX.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQwdbvRPw00

A real pitty if this really issue, and a real turn down for all the people who got this card and may not want to mess up with the heatsink cause it probably voids the warranty.

Last edited:
"Either way, we don’t recommend you tear off your cooler since it would likely void your warranty."

That is incorrect. You only lose the warranty if you break or damage the card by doing so. I would agree that end users shouldn't need to in a friggen $1K device, unless they want to, but saying you'd lose the warranty is misleading and a tad fearmonging.

Still, AMD better get some answers soon. If it is a problem with the cooler, they better start making good on users that went and supported them with the reference cards on day 1. As a side note: this is why I wait for AIB models (specially Sapphire) on the AMD camp: gives people more time to "field test them" and AIB models usually are a tad more refined, cooling-wise.

Regards.

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
Its seems that there could be a potential issue with how tight the screws are, or not.

At least thats what Der8auer find out after putting some "new", new thermal paste on his 7900XTX.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQwdbvRPw00

A real pitty /if this is the realy issue) and a real turn down for all the people who got this card and may not want to mess up with the heatsink cause it probably voids the warranty.
I saw that, does manufacturing not have small Torque Screw Drivers to tighten everything down properly?

Or is it by feel or machine?

I saw that, does manufacturing not have small Torque Screw Drivers to tighten everything down properly?

Or is it by feel or machine?

Saldy I have no idea who make this batch of cards for AMD. Im guessing they were in a rush to get the cards out and into the world in time for day 1.

Im guessing if all this issues and news cover are because of a screw torque was not enough, then AMD wont be very happy with them lol

Last edited:
@-Fran- sadly in some countries, not all, (like mine) it will void the warranty. Cause the warranty is not provided by AMD, nor the AIBs, but the people who import the GPU. And this is the same in many other places on this corner of the world (South America).

Reactions: -Fran-
Saldy I have no idea who make this batch of cards for AMD. Im guessing they were in a rush to get the cards out and into the world in time for day 1.

Im guessing if all this issues and news cover are because of a screw torque was not enough, then AMD wont be very happy with them lol

In the past, Sapphire has been the OEM AIB for reference models. I wonder if they switched suppliers because Sapphire is known for cooling and robust VRMs, something this reference design is lacking.

The screw assembly drivers are pre-torqued. Most are done by hand in the finishing stages of board assembly. Things like cables are hand inserted. As these are attached to the HS, they are usually done at the same workstation. (Based on the videos I have watched) But I have personally seen factories where this process is automated. Cooler gets hand loaded into a jig and the holes aligned by machine. Then the screw setters automatically screw them in till torque is reached.

There also seems to be an issue with vapor chamber designs running hot. (Same as 5700XT, but not 6000 series) If I were to guess, I would say they need a good lapping to even them out...but money. Over tightening the screw may apply enough pressure to the malleable heat plate to cause it to flatten out. But it's risky. Stripping threads, or cracking a chiplette, board is definitely a risk.

Last edited:
Reactions: RodroX

Sleepy_Hollowed

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2017
I don't know what they were thinking with the TIM because their previous generation is pretty damn solid for the most part, I've not read (well, at least in the last couple of years) of anyone complaining about this kind of stuff, or any besides of course size and weight of the top end models.

Disappointing. The reference card will actually fit in my case which was why I was excited, I doubt any of the board partners will. I'm not opposed to tearing the card down to repaste and repad but still very disappointing. Sometimes AMD reminds me of GM, absolute bonkers product, trips on their shoelaces releasing it. OTOH I have about 2 months before I'm seriously into the GPU market so perhaps some kinks will get worked out.

Reactions: Sleepy_Hollowed

Vanderlindemedia

Prominent
Jul 15, 2022
Fair warning to those now wanting to screw their screws even tighter: we do not know the maximum pressure those MCM chips can handle. You can chrush it, just like VEGA's with HBM.