AMD GPU Second Monitor "No Signal" VGA-DVI Adapters.

Lynxaa

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013
Hi, so today my second DVI-VGA adapter finally came, but when I plugged it into the second DVI output on my GPU the second monitor said no signal.

I can use HDMI but it looks like complete crap and both of my monitor only have VGA in.

Why does this happen? Is there a update that fixes this or did I just waste my money?

Just to clarify:

My main monitor is connected via VGA and I'm using a VGA-DVI adapter.
My second monitor is connected via VGA and I'm using a VGA-DVI adapter.

My GPU is the XFX R9 270x Double Dissipation

Lynxaa

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013

Would it work if I reversed my setup for my second monitor?
So if I buy a DVI Cable and then a DVI to VGA adapter and plug that adapter into my monitor while the dvi cable is direct into the second dvi slot on the GPU would the signal go through?

For the time being I'll continue to use my HDMI cable even if the quality looks so bad :(
Thanks for the help.

No. Dvi-i has both digital and analog, the second port is dvi-d, digital only, and vga is analog. So it only works on that 1 dvi-i port you have and you would use an active adapter which converts the digital signal to analog which is what you are doing with hdmi. The poor quality could just be from a cheapo adapter. How is it bad quality? Is the res set correctly?

Lynxaa

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013

Interesting, thanks for the information.
One last question:
Would something like this work or would that shorten the life span of my GPU by pulling more resources from the one dvi-i port?