Question AMD GPU shows no image when used on certain computers

Frostelus

Honorable
May 23, 2017
The GPU is an AMD Radeon HD 6950.
It doesn't show any image on my monitor when installed on my newer PC. The GPU is connected properly, the fans are working and all, but no output.
However, when I put it on an older PC, it works.
Am I missing something?
Also, there's a small switch on the GPU which I'm guessing is a bios switch. I tried to change it, but the problem still remains.

Frostelus

Honorable
May 23, 2017
Which Motherboard is it ? Have you disabled the onboard/integrated graphics/Ryzen 3 2200G ? Is the monitor's cable plugged into the GPU ?
The motherboard is an ASRock A320M-HDV and the monitor is connected directly into the GPU. I'm not sure how to disable the integrated graphics in the CPU, however, I did try another graphic card (Radeon HD 5850) and that one worked. So I assume that the integrated graphics disables automaticaly when using graphics card.
So basically. Any other GPU works on the new PC, but not the HD 6950. But that card does work on older PC for some reason

Full specs of the newer PC:
Ryzen 3 2200g, 8GB DDR4

Older: Intel Core i3 2120, 8GB DDR3

If you are using 2200g you are limited in the number of PCIe slots you can use. By default the card will run in 8x in the FIRST SLOT ONLY. If you try to put additional cards in additional slots, you might run out of PCIe lanes causing a system hang.

Also, make sure your power supply is adequate. I think you have a 4 + 3 which would be 225Watts + another 75 Watts from the MB = 300 Watts for the graphics card alone. Assuming your system consumes up to 150 Watts that would be a 450Watt baseline / .8 = 562 Watts. If it's an older PSU, the caps may have degraded a little and you would lose another 20%. So that is now up to ~700 (562/.8) Watts to get dependable stable operation.

Last edited:

Frostelus

Honorable
May 23, 2017
If you are using 2200g you are limited in the number of PCIe slots you can use. By default the card will run in 8x in the FIRST SLOT ONLY. If you try to put additional cards in additional slots, you might run out of PCIe lanes causing a system hang.

Also, make sure your power supply is adequate. I think you have a 4 + 3 which would be 225Watts + another 75 Watts from the MB = 300 Watts for the graphics card alone. Assuming your system consumes up to 150 Watts that would be a 450Watt baseline / .8 = 562 Watts. If it's an older PSU, the caps may have degraded a little and you would lose another 20%. So that is now up to ~700 (562/.8) Watts to get dependable stable operation.
Well, both of my PCs use none of the PCIe slots other than the GPU itself. The Newer one has a 500W psu, while the older one got a 300W.

Frostelus

Honorable
May 23, 2017
What operating systems on each computer? I have seen where Windows 10 won't recognize some of the older HD RADEON's.
Both are running on Windows 10. I don't think compatibility is the issue, as the card works perfectly on my older PC, which was originally Windows 7 but upgraded to 10 when the OS launched

Last edited: