[SOLVED] Amd gpu yes or no?

denisrossoner

Reputable
Nov 30, 2015
Hello.

All my component are in the case only gpu.
R5 3600,mbo:tomahawk max,ram:16 ddr4 3200

Please can You give me advice.
Buy amd or not?
Are now drivers are stabile?
My pick will be Rx 5700.

Solution
Drivers are still mediocre at best and AMD is sloooow to update them. And AMD drivers are the cause of alot of weird issues in games.

I'm not sure what prices are for you in your country but here in the US I would either buy a 2060 Super or spend extra and get a 5700XT.

Side note:

You can flash some 5700 models with a 5700XT BIOS https://www.techspot.com/review/1917-amd-radeon-5700-bios-flash-5700-xt/ There are draw backs since all its really doing is increasing the power limit, the XT is still a different card hardware wise so proceed at your own risk.
Drivers are still mediocre at best and AMD is sloooow to update them. And AMD drivers are the cause of alot of weird issues in games.

I'm not sure what prices are for you in your country but here in the US I would either buy a 2060 Super or spend extra and get a 5700XT.

Side note:

You can flash some 5700 models with a 5700XT BIOS https://www.techspot.com/review/1917-amd-radeon-5700-bios-flash-5700-xt/ There are draw backs since all its really doing is increasing the power limit, the XT is still a different card hardware wise so proceed at your own risk.

Reactions: denisrossoner
Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'm that strange outlier - I've owned more ATI/AMD cards than Nvidia, new and used. I've never had hardware or driver issues with any of the AMD cards, including my son's RX 5700 (non-XT), using the 20.2.2 drivers. My son's been gaming the system in my sig called Chromatron (click on the spoiler link) trouble-free, several hours a day, and he's here 8 days out of the month.

I have had issues with Nvidia cards, though.

My experience seems to be a bit out of the norm, based on what most people say, though. Ergo, based on my experience, I would recommend AMD.

Last edited:
Reactions: denisrossoner