AMD Graphics Card Crashing Lately?

Toby Shirk

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014
Recently, I noticed when playing some games (Mirrors Edge Catalyst, Fallout 4, etc), my graphics card kept crashing around 10-20 minutes into playing the game. I checked for new updates, I disabled any overclock's I might have had running, but nothing solved the problem. I have an AMD Sapphire Radeon 270X 4GB, as well as a 500W power supply, so I don't THINK its a power issue. The only thing I could see being a problem would be my temperature. After that 20 minute play session of Fallout 4, it's standing on 47°C. It used to run much cooler, but over time, it just kind of went up. Something that my be causing this, might be my fan, on the back of my tower. I have it set to custom to run 80%, and it works fine, but I don't feel any air coming out of the back. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Solution
I don't know if this also applies to GPUs, but I know that over time for CPUs, you'll have to increase the voltage on the chip to achieve the same clock as the chip gets older. Like I said, don't know if that works the same for a GPU, but have you tried increasing voltage on it and not bumping any of the other clocks up?

genthug

Honorable
Based off of what you've provided, that points to it being a poor overclock. Which would lead me to ask, did you disable them then not enable the fact that you disabled them? When you disabled them, did your core and memory clocks fall to stock? You need to check this on a graph that follows your GPU's outputs, like Afterburner or GPU Tweak II. Sometimes I think I have my overclock initialized only to find out my memory and core clocks are sitting at stock. My thought is that you disabled it but it didn't actually disable it. The 500W PSU should be fine as long as you're not also running an FX 9xxx series processor. As for temps--you're 20-30 degrees below what should worry you. I'm gonna go with the cliché "Have you tried unplugging it and back in again?". Now, is that a custom GPU slot exhaust fan? There are some that can be mounted to back slots to help with GPU air flow. Or is it the case exhaust fan?

Toby Shirk

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014

I completely disabled and deleted any overclock profiles, as well as my global settings. I have not yet tried unplugging it and plugging it back in, as I hate tinkering with the insides of my computer, aside from when i built it. As far as I know, the fan on the back of the case, came pre-installed WITH the case.

genthug

Honorable
I would try reseating the GPU in it's slot, or using a second x16 PCI-E slot and testing it on that. Otherwise, I would contact Asus support or wait for someone else to respond on here, cause that seems mostly like an overclocking issue to me. Specifically, like it's either undervolted or there isn't enough power going to it. Another question, how long have you had it overclocked? How long have you had the card?

Toby Shirk

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014

I don't know exactly, but i'd guess around a year and a half, give or take.

genthug

Honorable
I don't know if this also applies to GPUs, but I know that over time for CPUs, you'll have to increase the voltage on the chip to achieve the same clock as the chip gets older. Like I said, don't know if that works the same for a GPU, but have you tried increasing voltage on it and not bumping any of the other clocks up?

Solution

Toby Shirk

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014

I have not, but I will try it!