[SOLVED] AMD Graphics Card(e.g. 5700XT) = Junk

Gintama69

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
Even the latest top of the range AMD graphics card(RX5700XT) is a junk..

RX5700XT Facts:
  1. slower than GTX1080Ti(~2.5 years old)
  2. ~50% slower than RTX2080Ti(almost year old)
  3. similar to RTX2070 performance but at much higher TDP(175W vs 225W) and no RTX features
  4. super noisy, Gamers Nexus described it as "the worst stock cooler they have ever tested" -
    View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SAWtKEIYbw
  5. runs super hot(unstable), shutting down while sitting in a game menu during Linus Tech review.. lol -
    View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bmQPx9EJLA
    (8:23 on video)
  6. driver issues - https://www.google.com/search?q=570.....69i57j0l2.5975j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Your making broad assessments without examining the details.

That's like saying the Supra is the best car in the world and the NSX is absolute crap. It's about the right tool for the right job.

What you failed to mention is AMD has the lowest cost per frame.

It will game at 1440p with all the details turned up.

It's 1% frame time variance is better than NVIDIAs

It's superior to the RTX2060 Super in terms of raw performance, while being cheaper.

RT is extremely niche and doesn't run that well on anything below a 2080.

There are 3rd party vendor boards are available. The Red Devil 5700XT is exceptional in terms of quietness and build. And it still $50+ cheaper than a 2060 Super (which the 5700 XT is faster)

Now if you have...
Their reference cooler is bad. But custom boards are out and of course make it a much better GPU.

It actually handidly beats Nvidia in its price range.

I personally think it's stupid that you have to UNDERvolt AMD GPUs. But nontheless, the RX 5700 XT is and will be an iconic GPU. I love the look of the RX 5700 XT reference design even though it's crap. RDNA2 will put AMD back in the competition. I think it will eventually compete with Nvidia in the top-end.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

C0v3r

Great
Jun 9, 2019
Also these gpus aren't even in the same ballpark in price range go find me a 2080ti that is 600 dollars (the price it would need to be to justify the upgrade in terms of price to performance) also it strait beats the rtx 2080ti in Forza motorsport 4 so explain that. You get more for the price and that's what makes it good.

Gintama69

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
You were definitely trolling.
Excuse me, but how can you call it trolling when I only posted the facts?
4 = from Gamers Nexus
5 = from Linus Tech

Lets say AMD improves the heat/noise issue with AIB models(which they should have done in first place), it still doesn't change the facts that 5700XT is far inferior compared to NVidia cards. i.e.
  • much slower performance
  • much higher TDP at similar performance
  • no RTX features

C0v3r

Great
Jun 9, 2019
4 = from Gamers Nexus
5 = from Linus Tech

Lets say AMD improves the heat/noise issue with AIB models(which they should have done in first place), it still doesn't change the facts that 5700XT is far inferior compared to NVidia cards. i.e.
  • no RTX features
Umm u realize rtx is useless if your talking performance also the card has more potential for overclocking once you can remove the bios block. Even more it's like 100 to 800 dollars cheaper than 2070-2080ti

4 = from Gamers Nexus
5 = from Linus Tech

• no RTX features
You posted it as a question and your facts ignore the fact that their are custom boards out that make your last two points completely useless. The first two points are stupid because price is very relevent to those comparisons and makes the RX 5700 XT a better buy (price/performance) than anything Nvidia currently has available.

Last edited:
Reactions: C0v3r
Your making broad assessments without examining the details.

That's like saying the Supra is the best car in the world and the NSX is absolute crap. It's about the right tool for the right job.

What you failed to mention is AMD has the lowest cost per frame.

It will game at 1440p with all the details turned up.

It's 1% frame time variance is better than NVIDIAs

It's superior to the RTX2060 Super in terms of raw performance, while being cheaper.

RT is extremely niche and doesn't run that well on anything below a 2080.

There are 3rd party vendor boards are available. The Red Devil 5700XT is exceptional in terms of quietness and build. And it still $50+ cheaper than a 2060 Super (which the 5700 XT is faster)

Now if you have infinitely deep pockets, by all means buy a 2070Super, 2080Super, or 2080ti. But I'm not in the mood to support a predatory company and pay an NVIDIA tax for that privilege.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrN1ce9uy and C0v3r
Solution

Gintama69

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
Umm u realize rtx is useless if your talking performance also the card has more potential for overclocking once you can remove the bios block. Even more it's like 100 to 800 dollars cheaper than 2070-2080ti
If you wanted best bang for buck graphics cards then used GTX1080Ti > 5700XT.

What you failed to mention is AMD has the lowest cost per frame. It will game at 1440p with all the details turned up. And that 3rd party vendor boards are available. The Red Devil 5700XT is exceptional in terms of quietness and build. And it still $50+ cheaper than a 2060 Super (which the 5700 XT is faster)
Personally I would pick 2060 Super over 5700XT any day, because:
  1. RTX features
  2. runs much cooler
  3. runs much quieter
  4. stable drivers
If I'm gonna spend money to buy the latest graphic cards then I also want the latest features(i.e. RTX). Even games like Minecraft will support RTX soon(https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/19/...-tracing-nvidia-rtx-gpu-graphics-cards-update) and RTX also means faster video rendering/editing(i.e. DaVinci Resolve etc).
And I definitely don't want GPU that runs noisy and hot all the time.

C0v3r

Great
Jun 9, 2019

1. RTX features
  2. runs much cooler
  3. runs much quieter
  4. stable drivers
If I'm gonna spend money to buy the latest graphic cards then I also want the latest features(i.e. RTX). Even games like Minecraft will support RTX soon(https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/19/...-tracing-nvidia-rtx-gpu-graphics-cards-update) and RTX also means faster video rendering/editing(i.e. DaVinci Resolve etc).
Like we said before the newer non blower custom cards are coming out and they will be better also find me a new 1080ti for 400 bucks then I'll agree. 1 more thing the 2060 super can barely run rtx at 1080p so it's quite useless.

1. RTX features
  2. runs much cooler
  3. runs much quieter
  4. stable drivers

1. RTX on anything below 2070 Super isn't worth it.
  2. There are multiple custom boards that make the RX 5700 XT run cool.
  3. See number 2.
  4. AMD tends to get better in performance over time, while Nvidia gets worse. So, who's got the better driver support?
Finally, a used 1080 Ti still costs more than a new RX 5700 XT, and they have the same level of performance with the 1080 Ti being marginally faster.

1. RTX features
  2. runs much cooler
  3. runs much quieter
  4. stable drivers

A used 1080Ti which might have been mined on and maybe has 1-3 years life left for ~$500? I don't think so. And it's not an apple to apples comparison. I can get a used 5700 for $300, or a 5700XT for $350. (People are trading in the blower version for 3rd party cooler versions.)

RTX features are near worthless on the 2060 Super because it doesn't have enough tenser cores.

It doesn't run cooler. The RTX 2060 Super consumes about 225 Watts. (src: https://www.tomshardware.com/review...2060-super-geforce-rtx-2070-super,6207-5.html) That's roughly the same as the 5700XT

RTX isn't quieter either. Again the Power Color Red Devil or Sapphire pulse are as quiet as the NVIDIA RTX Cards. Steve from Gamers Nexus loved the Sapphire Pulse
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzCOvZEH318

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deLBTEqynhg

And I'm running Ray Tracing on Minecraft thanks to SEUS mod with my 5700XT just fine. I'm over 60fps at 1080p.

I'll grant you a win on the video encoding. Rendering/Decoding: no. Encoding: yes. Depending on Codec NVIDIA does win here (particular H.264)

NVIDIA also has the fastest cards. And RTX is beautiful. But again, it's niche, and doesn't run well on anything below a 2080. So the 2060Super it's just awful in that regard.

BTW: DLSS is horrid compared to Radeon Image Sharpening.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS