[SOLVED] AMD Graphics card RX570 keeps crashing/freezing and having BSODs

Pyroge

Reputable
Jan 16, 2020
They're entirely random and happen at every game I try to play, it doesn't matter if the game is old or not, I keep having random freezings, crashes, and freezings followed by a Blue screen of death even when I'm not doing anything in-game, sometimes I last hours gaming without having any issues but when I open another game it happens after 30 minutes or less.
My specs are:
CPU: i5 3470
GPU: RX 570 (bought 3 days ago, so I doubt the card is faulty)
PSU: Thermaltake SMART 600W ATX 12V V2.3 80 PLUS Certified (also bought 3 days ago, also new)
MOBO: AK-H61TM
RAM: 4GB 1666Mhz + 4GB 1333Mhz
Watercooler: Yes, temperatures on the CPU are fine, and so are the temperatures on the GPU 60°C (140°F) MAX on both.

The bluescreens had different messages:
-"KERNEL_MODE_HEAP_CORRUPTION"
-"KERNEL_APC_PENDING_DURING_EXIT"
-"atikmdag.sys"
-"DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION"

so far I've encountered those errors, they usually come after the game freezes, so, what could my problem be?

Swarzenegger

Great
Jan 6, 2020
First of all, those RAM specs really hurt :p Always try to buy ram with the same timings and frequency!

These BSOD's could be related to driver-issues, but my gut tells me that the ram is also a factor.

I would recommend doing a memtest HERE and maybe a driver verifier HERE

Pyroge

Reputable
Jan 16, 2020
[QUOTE="Swarzenegger, po
First of all, those RAM specs really hurt :p Always try to buy ram with the same timings and frequency!

These BSOD's could be related to driver-issues, but my gut tells me that the ram is also a factor.

I would recommend doing a memtest HERE and maybe a driver verifier HERE
[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know the ram is low in frequency but this generation of motherboards doesn't allow for more, I'm running MEMTEST right now and I'll run the driver verifier after, I'll tell you the results when I finish.

Last edited:

Swarzenegger

Great
Jan 6, 2020
Yes, I know, It's an older generation of Motherboard, it allows low frequency rams only but I don't think that's an issue

Yeah I know the ram is low in frequency but this generation of motherboards doesn't allow for more, I'm running MEMTEST right now and I'll run the driver verifier after, I'll tell you the results when I finish.
I don't mean they are low or to weak, but having 2 different sticks could give a lot of problems, always buy as close as exactly the same sticks.

Also the PSU has A LOT of bad reviews... given that is also isn't a Bronze, it might lack power at full load. But because you also have issues when not on full load, the problem is probably as I said earlier.

Reactions: Pyroge

Pyroge

Reputable
Jan 16, 2020
It can cause the exact issues you're experiencing. I'd remove one stick(the slower one). Give the PC a try.

Sorry if this seems to be a little bit necro but I don't want to leave this thread on a cliffhanger, I tried the MEMTEST the first day I posted this and my computer turned off and didn't show any signal, then I tried with the device manager thing and it said something in Windows was crashing but it didn't make clear what it was (yes I checked the minidumps) and when I tried gaming it showed me the same crashes and freezings after trying other possible solutions, then I tried your idea yesterday and at first my games were unbearably slow and they kept freezing (it never behaved like that before) still but this time it was worse and my GPU drivers were crashing even when I wasn't gaming, so I booted on safe mode and deleted any drivers from my previous Nvidia graphics card with DDU and my current AMD graphics card and did a clean install with new drivers (I've tried this before, deleting all drivers and reinstalling but never deleted the Nvidia folders) and seems to be working flawlessly (I've been testing it with long sessions of gaming and there are no problems so far).

I guess removing the different RAM also helped because it caused my computer to shutdown while testing it with MEMTEST, it was lower frequency and really old, I got it from my brother so it was really used, thanks for your help guys.

Reactions: Swarzenegger
Sorry if this seems to be a little bit necro but I don't want to leave this thread on a cliffhanger, I tried the MEMTEST the first day I posted this and my computer turned off and didn't show any signal, then I tried with the device manager thing and it said something in Windows was crashing but it didn't make clear what it was (yes I checked the minidumps) and when I tried gaming it showed me the same crashes and freezings after trying other possible solutions, then I tried your idea yesterday and at first my games were unbearably slow and they kept freezing (it never behaved like that before) still but this time it was worse and my GPU drivers were crashing even when I wasn't gaming, so I booted on safe mode and deleted any drivers from my previous Nvidia graphics card with DDU and my current AMD graphics card and did a clean install with new drivers (I've tried this before, deleting all drivers and reinstalling but never deleted the Nvidia folders) and seems to be working flawlessly (I've been testing it with long sessions of gaming and there are no problems so far).

I guess removing the different RAM also helped because it caused my computer to shutdown while testing it with MEMTEST, it was lower frequency and really old, I got it from my brother so it was really used, thanks for your help guys.
Good to hear.

Reactions: Pyroge