AMD has an ace up its sleeve - magic 6 pins

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

YES! GREAT FIND!!

REVERSE HYPERTHREADING!!! WOOT! AMD4LIFE!

Theo.png

endyen

Splendid

I doubt the AMD croud would want him on thier side.

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006

Everytime i read this i am more and more shocked. Even though i know it wasn't written on the first of April i keep checking the date on the article. This is so bad.

Harry-Plopper

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008

Could someone remind Theo. Theodore - wasnt that a name of a Chipmunk... Boom Chicca Wow wow

Anyway - Im still waiting for my AMD 2 940 3800 - or was it + to beat the 6300 Core Duo ( which wasnt intels top chip and was never claimed to be ).

Im sitting here waiting for it to work faster, but it never has..

Theo you are worthless.. How much did AMD pay you for that one...

Hang on Thunderman - Theo are they the same person...

Anyway Reverse Hyperthreading works, AMD has been going backwards since....

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Well, I'll wait and see if it works. 200 megahertz isn't unreasonable for a 9850, let alone an 8750. I don't think it will work on existing quads but rather the upcoming 95 watt BE versions of the 9850. I'd be happy if it worked with the existing 8750.

If you think Theo is thunderman then your a n00b and haven't been here long enough to warrant a nappy change yet ... sorry ... I meant "muck out the pen".

The hacks don't post in this area ... your unworthy.

:)

Sorry for not making that more clear. Musta been da voodoo in da magic 6 pins.

Fixing the PLL and the SB is the big AMD dawg bone going forward - any backward compatibility (like with the BEs?) is just gravy ...

I don't know if a multi can be unlocked thru a combination of model-specific cpu registers, pin assignments & BIOS. Sounds reasonable but it's way above my pay grade ...

Harry-Plopper

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008

What you on about fanboi

I was making an assumption.. Thundermans rants are simular to Theo.. Unfounded and down right stupid.

My assumption now is your backing a loosing horse..

Carry on sunshine - let the horse loose..

The company is doing this on its own accord anyway, Whats the matter wanting the dual core they just wasted developement time on...

There was a thread somewhere (EOC?) that tried to figure this out. The consensus was that the multiplier is set in microcode/internal MSRs and you need a JTAG and AMD's CPU microcode-setting tool to change it. The CPU just ignores things put in visible MSRs that do not mesh with microcode- try to undervolt a desktop K8 with RMclock or cpupw below 1.100 V and see the CPU ignore it. There are also no pencil tricks or "golden fingers" either.

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

I'm just wondering if it needs a new board, like the upcoming 880G's; or if it will work with an existing 8750 in a GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H. I'd be happy to have an 8750 @ 2.6 instead of 2.4. Dratted vacation, can't buy the CPU and new memory until afterwards!

At any rate, it's impact on Deneb will be interesting; but Nehalem will win hands down -- especially if Intel actually comes out with $200 or so parts to compete against AMD in the mainstream.

Hmmm ...

1. Who are you to compare Theo ? He wouldn't waste his time wiping his a$$ on your face. He has a job as a hack ... your just a "dumb reader".
2. What horse did I back?? Meathead ... I don't recall making a bet on any race?
3. Sunshine ... so you were once an army recruit were you?? Get tortured a bit eh? Fail the physical and got booted for being too fat?

4. This is old news. We knew they wouldn't produce it ... or they would have done a 2 X 1Mb mask for the AM2's ... and they didn't then. They don't have the resources ... unlike Intel which have a dozen projects going at once.

If your going to make nasty comments about others expect to cop some flack yourself buddy ... especially me as I take no crap from n00bs who make sweeping comments without either something funny or silly ... or heaven forbid "enlightening" to add !!

I honestly don't think they finished the dual core ... architecturally It could not have been a great proposition anyway, has less IPC than the Core2, and no distinct advantage over the low power K8's - Turiun X2 Ultramobile.

Plus their process can't push the 65nm past 3.2 on the 90nm node ... the 65nm process is worse.

I imagine the 45nm process isn't going well either.

So that makes me a real fanboi.