AMD HAS COST TECHNOLOGY ADVANTAGES OVER INTEL

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I'm not a fan of SOI, leaks more than Strained Silicon and it has cold boot problems...

Well, it's far superior to Intel's strained silicon since it gives more performance while lowering power consumption. I haven't seing anything about cold boot problems with it.
Well, it definately does make less energy problems. However, at -10c, some SOI processors will not boot at all! Freaking gay if you ask me. Also, you get less out of overclocks and clock speeds since it really does leak more speed than Strained Silicon.

9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Explain please? The current data does not support your statement.

OK, here you go:

Digitimes

Digitimes again...

Soitec claims significant advantages for SOI. It offers greater performance at significantly lower rates of power consumption. That translates into faster processing while producing less heat. That also translates into longer battery life for mobile devices. Charge leakage is reduced to a minimum as also are transistor cross-talk and latch-up, allowing greater transistor proximity. As designs move ever further into deep submicron, these are all significant advantages.

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Point is, if Intel wasn't retarded and released 65nm Netburst chips 3 years ago, we would've never ran into the heat fiasco.

This is not actually true, the density of transistors that are on or off scale linearly with transitor count and as you decrease litho node, gate lengths and thickness scales too. Both AMD and Intel have approached gates so thin, than quantum mechanical tunneling is driving high gate leakage currents. Simply doing 65 nm over 90 nm does not buy you that back that much in this regard -- there are other factors though, but don't count on SOI to be the end all beat all.

Case in point, the current Pressler and Cedarmill chips are essentially Prescott cores and they are at around the same TDP, slightly lower but nothing earth shattering and at similar speeds.

That's not totally true. The 65nm chips Intel released are far more capable and power efficient than the 90nm chips, and do not have the same massive power problems. Sure, the architecture itself isn't fantastic, but if you compare the overclocks you can get on a Prescott stock cooler versus a Cedar Mill same conditions I think it serves my point. The reason Intel doesn't release them at 4.0ghz is basically because on the Preslers, heat from 2 high-frequency cores is still very difficult to control, albeit better than the Smithfields. Intel said it is a very real possibility they will release 4+ ghz Cedar Mill chips however; they certainly can with the current 65nm technology. Notice Anandtech's article on the Cedar Mill's release; a 661 was overclocked to 4.5 on stock cooling without a massive voltage increase and uncontrollable heat you would need on a Prescott.

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Explain please? The current data does not support your statement.

OK, here you go:

Digitimes

Digitimes again...

Soitec claims significant advantages for SOI. It offers greater performance at significantly lower rates of power consumption. That translates into faster processing while producing less heat. That also translates into longer battery life for mobile devices. Charge leakage is reduced to a minimum as also are transistor cross-talk and latch-up, allowing greater transistor proximity. As designs move ever further into deep submicron, these are all significant advantages.
Let me ask you something: why do you think AMD uses Strained Silicon on its FX series? They know power consumption isn't a problem here; and they want people to get the best possible overclocks. All the AMD record setters for superpi/3dmark are on LN2 cooled FX55's/FX57'S with speeds that are absolutely impossible for an A64.

9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Anyways, on another note, I'd love to hear your take on AM2 only offering about a 3-5% performance increase over S939 using DDR2 800.

Even if it's a 5% gain with DDR2-800, the process itself would increase the processor performance to 25% over socket 939 processors.
As I said before, I'd wait for the thing to be out and fully benched by everyone.

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Anyways, on another note, I'd love to hear your take on AM2 only offering about a 3-5% performance increase over S939 using DDR2 800.

Even if it's a 5% gain with DDR2-800, the process itself would increase the processor performance to 25% over socket 939 processors.
As I said before, I'd wait for the thing to be out and fully benched by everyone.
With all respect, that 3-5% increase is for real, even for the processor. If you sit down and think about it, the only thing innovative about AM2 is DDR2, just a re-release of 939. Don't get me wrong, I haven't benched the thing or anything, but honestly, how can a little memory bandwidth lead to far better performance? AMD needs a lot more than that, and I really hope it is more than just 939 plus a pin plus DDR2.

9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
With all respect, that 3-5% increase is for real, even for the processor. If you sit down and think about it, the only thing innovative about AM2 is DDR2, just a re-release of 939.

ak47is1337 :
How many times do I have to tell you that it's not only DDR2 that will help the processor but it's the new and improved process that will give a theoretical 20% performance gain. DDR2-800 will only give AMD a 5-10% increase in performance, but once again, the process is what's going to help these processors to achieve a 20% more performance.

Did I make my self clear this time?? :wink:

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
http://www.forbes.com/markets/emergingmarkets/2006/03/14/intel-amd-0314markets07.html

The analyst estimates servers will comprise 30% to 40% of Intel revenues and 50% of profits, with AMD respectively at 40% to 50% and 50%.
Well, this article is pretty much retarded. Intel has key price advantages in certain markets, such as the cheapest dual cores, the PD805 & PD820. Bang for buck however, AMD absolutely dominates.
-------
Conroe will change all of this; Intel is supposed to drop prices 50% on some Pentium D's, I expect AMD to do the same on FX, AMD64's and X2's...can anybody say PRICE WARS?
Not only that, but some value Conroe's should be coming out...hopefully same with AM2.

To be more precise, AMD currently onlly dominates in the bang/buck catagory in gaming. If you are more audio/video inclined, Intel is the better buy.

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
With all respect, that 3-5% increase is for real, even for the processor. If you sit down and think about it, the only thing innovative about AM2 is DDR2, just a re-release of 939.

ak47is1337 :
How many times do I have to tell you that it's not only DDR2 that will help the processor but it's the new and improved process that will give a theoretical 20% performance gain. DDR2-800 will only give AMD a 5-10% increase in performance, but once again, the process is what's going to help these processors to achieve a 20% more performance.

Did I make my self clear this time?? :wink:
What "process"? They aren't making 65nm till 2007, the are still using the same K8 overall architecture and their 90nm chips cannot be scaled well at all anymore given that they will top out at 3ghz. I have a feeling AM2 will seriously disappoint, becuase once AMD finally releases its chips with 65nm, Intel will already have 45nm in place =/

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
What is your take on AMDs 90nm cache size factor and how far can AMD go in your opinion, with their current technology?
Hmm, I probably need to be careful with my tone to avoid antagonizing people further. The questions you ask are the million dollar questions of course.

I regards to cache sizes, I've made these comments many times before, but sadly I can never find the previous threads where I made them. In any case, larger L2 cache sizes really don't benefit the K8 architecture because of how AMD designed it. The K8 uses an exclusive architecture which means that the data in the L1 cache isn't duplicated in the L2 cache. As I understand it, this was more critical before because it offered the flexibility that the L2 cache did not need to be larger than the L1 cache and could be any size and it increase the total cache size since the 2 can be added together.

The other method of course is inclusive cache which Intel uses, which duplicates the L1 cache in the L2. In an exclusive cache, when an L2 cache line is copied into the L1 cache, an existing line in the L1 cache needs to be copied out into the L2 cache to make run for it. This of course adds latency and as a point of detail a victim buffer is used to increase performance. In an inclusive cache, when an L2 cache line is moved into the L1 cache, an existing L1 cache line doesn't need to be written to L2 because it is already duplicated there. This of course increases performance.

Since an exclusive cache puts more emphasis on the size on the L1 cache and less on the L2 cache, increasing the L2 cache size on an exclusive architecture doesn't increase performance as much as an inclusive cache. Even disregarding process differences, the reason why AMD doesn't have large L2 caches is, because they generally don't see as much benefits. Intel of course uses large L2 caches not only to reduce being bandwidth starved, but because they architecture benefits more. The thing that Intel needs to worry about with the inclusive cache is that they have the correct ratios between the L1 cache size and the L2 cache size. Since the L1 cache is copied to the L2 cache, the L2 needs to be a sufficient size to be of any use. Intel of course messed this up with the 128KB L2 cache in the Northwood Celerons, which was far too small and crippled their performance. The current 256KB Prescett Celeron Ds perform much better in comparison despite the pipeline increase.

As to how much cache you really need, there's of course a point of dimishing returns. The 1MB L2 cache per core in the K8 should be sufficient for desktop usage although AMD could use a shared cache in order to avoid duplication and maximize cache space. I suppose if AMD doesn't move to a shared cache, doubling the L2 could beneficial to hide any latency associated with the move to DDR2 although as you move to DDR2 800 and beyond the concerns really aren't there anymore. On desktops, I'm not sure if an L3 cache would be beneficial since with an OMC, the latency to the RAM is already low so if the L3 has higher latency than the L2 the benefit becomes increasingly moot. Servers of course love larger amounts of L2 and L3 cache so it would be useful there.

When you say how far can AMD go with their current technology I'm assuming you mean their 90nm process. They appear to be introducing some form of FD-SOI into their Socket F chips so they will be stretching the process a little further. I still think the big gains will come with 65nm. They've actually been tweeking their designs with the L2 cache in the new AM2's actually taking up less space on the same 90nm process than on the S939s. Revisions and advancements in the SOI process will obviously bring power and heat lower. However, that doesn't address the cost issue. It can be argued that Intel's 65nm process may not be advanced as AMD's 90nm SOI process, but it's still cheaper for Intel to produce. As long as AMD remains on 90nm they will be hampered in how they price their products. AMD may be able to produce a quad core on 90nm with the right thermals, but the size will make it problematic.

On the current 90nm process, I really don't see AMD increasing cache sizes, at least not in the desktop or mobile market since that's not really necessary or cost-effective. It should be noted that the Turion X2s that will be released all have 512KB of L2 cache per core rather than 1MB. With the FX-62 clocking in at 2.8GHz coming in June, AMD could probably sustain 1 more clock ramp to 3GHz, but after that it'll be next year and hopefully 65nm.

Will AMD be able to beat Conroe when it launches? Personally, I don't see it as very likely. Intel's new architecture appears superior to the K8 on a per clock basis which means Intel will probably have the lead in H2 2006. Improvements in AMD's process might shrink the gap, but I haven't seen evidence of their newer processes yet. Afterall, the TDP of the FX has actually increased and now the Opteron HE TDP has increased as well to 68W. AMD did say they would eventually have an Opteron EE version at 55W, but with Socket F already launching in H2, eventually will no doubt put it into 2007 and 65nm.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30349

Interestingly, AMD has said that Socket F will use the exact same process as current Opterons and not FD-SOI as originally thought.

http://www.itjungle.com/breaking/bn031506-story01.html

First of all, these processors, which are due in the third quarter of this year, not the middle of the year, are based on the same 90 nanometer process that the current Opterons use.
In any case, AMD will certainly come out kicking in 2007 when their new K8L architecture comes out along with 65nm.

This is just my opinion of course, and I'm sure many people will disagree, but you asked for it. I'm sure MadModMike will say this is just google information, which I'm sure you can find there if you wanted.

9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
I'd just like to add that AMD does benefit from larger caches. Greater L1 cache in the K7-K8 core does improve perfromance a lot just as Intel benefits from larger L2 cache.

If I'm not wrong, AMD will increase the L1 cache in their next-gen processor architecture and they'll enhance cache hierarchy also.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
At least that's one point you and I can agree on. The L1 cache of the AMD K6 line of processors was double that of Intel's Pentium, and during the k7 and k8 series it was quadruple, then 8 times, then back to quadruple to that of intel's PIII, P4 williamette and Northwood, and Prescott respectively. The Intel design traded L1 size for low latency in the Pentium 4. It works well in some situations, but in retrospect AMD's "larger is better" approach seems to have been much more beneficial overall.

EDIT: Itcommander data, I must give you props on your previous post. Very well written and highly informative.

endyen

Splendid
Empirical data seems to suggest that you opinion of SOI may be in error.
While the A64 added a graet many transistors to xp, the layout stayed fairly close. The key change was SOI. The A64s run considerably cooler.
When the A64s went to 90 nanos, there was a slight increase in TDP.
The venus added an improved SOI, and got lower TDP.
Truth is, Intel could make very good use of SOI (and, I understand will, on the 45 nano chips), but they would rather thier customers enjoy a warmer environment, rather than loose profit margin.

endyen

Splendid
You should try to not be blinded by your preference for Intel.
Whether larger cache will be usefull is entirely dependant on the size of exe files. As chips get larger caches, progs tend to require , and take more benefit from them.
Since an exclusive cache puts more emphasis on the size on the L1 cache and less on the L2 cache, increasing the L2 cache size on an exclusive architecture doesn't increase performance as much as an inclusive cache. Even disregarding process differences, the reason why AMD doesn't have large L2 caches is, because they generally don't see as much benefits.
I always thought that Intel needed larger line 2 cache because thier L2 was reduced due to holding a copy of L1, and because thier L1 was so much smaller. Total cache equals L2 cache, while Amd has a larger L1 cache, that is actually adative to L2, for a much larger total cache.
Big problem for inclusive cache stems from a L1 call, from memory. In this instance, bothe L1 and L2 need to be purged of a space equal to the call size. Much more of a penalty than
In an exclusive cache, when an L2 cache line is copied into the L1 cache, an existing line in the L1 cache needs to be copied out into the L2 cache to make run for it.
I really dont see any advantage to wasting the best memory in a system by having info doubled or tripled. It's just a waste.

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
LOL you're one funny character. Put your glasses on and read:
"WE HAVE seen many AM2 socket CPUs. Most of them are running at 2.4GHZ and are showcased with DDR 2 800 memory. That is the only way to show any kind of performance difference from the DDR 400 based existing 939 CPUs.
The guys that ran some benchmarks on those machines confirmed that you can expect three to five per cent performance increase and that is about it"
They said you can expect a AM2 chip to deliver 3-5% more performance provided that you are using DDR2 800(that will cost a fortune for sure).

LOOK,i know it is hard for you to admit but that's the truth. Overall there is a 3-5% increase. One way or the other that's the magic number.
Untill 65nm that's due to arrive in 2007 the performance boost over a 939 CPU having the same frequency is 3-5%. No need to theorise when you have a FACT that shows it all. In fact i doubt AMD ever said that the chip will bring a hefty increase. They just mentioned that moving on to better memory will bring more performance with it. And it has, 3-5%.
Your head is full of BS. Wake up and face reality.

Larger cache? Yup i heard about L3 cache on future FX. But the one tested there was a X2 and it probably had cache equall to a 939 based X2. AMD does benefit from larger cache though the performance gains are not impressive in most apps. Then again FX 62 and X2 5000 will only have 1 mb cache. And i've yet to see a L3 cache in action.
"However, AMD will introduce an Athlon 64 X2 5000+ clocked at 2.6 GHz and equipped with 1x 1 MB L2 cache."by THG
No evolution from today's cache. Untill 2007 nothing fabolous coming from AMD just what they'll need to keep their products up to date. That might bring some performance but heck 3-5% is little no matter how you look at it. I was expecting more but you live with what you have. That being said there is a good chance AMD will loose the performance crown this year. But AMD fanboys should be happy. Future FX at X2 prices is very tempting even for Intel fans.
The problem here is that a cheap AM2 procesor in order to provide that 3-5% performance will have to come with a not so cheap DDR2 800.
Even at price performance AMD's lead might be roughly shakened.