AMD Has Four New Business Phenoms

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Ummm - explain please the "business class". I get the "platform" idea and the "3 yr warranty" idea - but are these cpu's different, other than they have a B in the name? Or is it just that they are marketing to business and offering a 3-year comforting warranty? Isn't warranty usually 1-year?

I think I am asking you to explain the "business" angle. ? This is interesting to me; but somewhat of a foreign concept, since I am mainly a gamer type user.

It seems the warranty and usage class are the main considerations - in otherwords, business apps like Office, etc. are not softwares that demand, or even need, high performance processing. Although multitask would be good with multicore.

What's the overview on this area? I feel unclear re this area. Will these be available through typical retail?

G

I had the same initial reaction as Mystic. I have to think these are the SAME CPU's with a longer warranty, however as most chips are reliability tested to last for over 3 years anyway, this seems like a rather empty "extra value" promise.

The only thing I can see is the commitment to build these models for at least 3 years (I believe Intel does similar with their business based chips too).

This seems like a bit of a scam to charge businesses more money for the same chip. If you are using enough chips where you have to be worried about having a 3 year supply guarantee then the premium is going to really get you and why not buy the non-B series?

In any event, it is not clear why this is a "news" story on Tom's. What exactly is the news? This seems like a lot of sound and fury signifying nothing.

Ree-Zun

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
There is at least one significant differentiation:

The 9870B 2.4 GHz boasts a thermal power of 95W – or a 24% reduction – while there is at least one non-Business variant (HD9750XAJ4BGH) rated at 125W – or 31% greater.

G

The last poster neglects the fact that there is a 95Watt DESKTOP 9750 as well (the 97XX series is 2.4GHz). These business chips are not "improved" they are "marketed" - the reductions quoted in the above comment are bunk as there is a 95Watt desktop as well at 2.4GHz. The 125Watt bin is simply for flexibility as AMD's thermals start falling off the cliff at 2.4GHz on 65nm quads (as evidenced by steps to 125W and then to 140W on successive 100MHz speed bins)

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_15331_15332%5E15347,00.html

I suspect the 95Watt desktop will now suddenly be in short supply as 95Watt "B" chips suddenly 'show' up as someone spends a lot of time engraving a "B" on the back of some the existing 95Watt 2.4GHz 9750 chips.

Tom's - please actually do some research before simply publishing company press releases. Is there really any news here? (I don't consider a 3year warranty to be newsworthy)

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Well, It is news.
AMD a major Chip Company released 4 new Chips.

However, It's not Tom's Fault that the new Chips are a sad joke if all they offer is a higher price tag and a free letter "B" tossed into the product name.

Status
Not open for further replies.