AMD HD 6970 reports -128*c and fan at 100%

Solution
Nothing to do except try to see if it's actually too hot and try to clean it and re-do the heatsink with new thermal paste, or get an aftermarket heatsink.

Do the fans actually spin fast and does the card get very hot? At 128 C it should have crashed.
Nothing to do except try to see if it's actually too hot and try to clean it and re-do the heatsink with new thermal paste, or get an aftermarket heatsink.

Do the fans actually spin fast and does the card get very hot? At 128 C it should have crashed.

Solution

dragancla

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016
Well, it's not actually 128 C as it shows. MSI Afterburner shows a temp of -21839432789324 degrees. The card is cooler than skin temperature to the touch (I guess the fan working at 100% for 2 days would do that to it).

dragancla

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016
Yeah, things aren't working fine, as I have said. Even if I set the fan speed lower, it's still max. That slider doesn't work. Nor does the AMD software fan control.

I meant working fine with the card, not so much the fan, fan at full speed is an issue if you can't turn it down, but it's not quite the issue that a failing video card is. Many video cards have a pretty long warranty, check yours and contact the vendor.