AMD HD5850 extremely weird noise

PF85

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2008
Hi there. Over the last few weeks, my girlfriends graphics card have been making a really really weird noise. Listen to it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9TDBvKhfRmQ

We've tried to clean the cooler, but that dosent change anything. Do you have any ideas, what this might be? Also, when she plays Sims 3, her cooler goes to 100% fan speed and runs really hot too. Is it a software error or something like that? Its never been overclocked.

Thanks in advance.

nokiddingboss

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
have you updated the gpu's driver prior before? have you used amd's uninstall utility before doing so? have you or her fiddle with the gpu's fan controller via the driver?
but judging by the video, it reminded me of my old hd4770 right before it goes belly up and straight up died on me. it might be time to let the old 5850 go and just buy a cheaper hd7750 if she'll only be using it for sims 3.

PF85

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2008
NoKid > Yeah, that might be the solution to buy a new card. I mean, she plays WoW and she plays Sims 3. Shes not into any sort of FPS. We havent done anything regarding fan control, and the driver is updated. I cant remember if we used the ATI uninstall, but it dosent hurt to give it a try.

SR > Yeah, youre the third person to mention that now, so it might be something like that.

TRENDING THREADS