AMD / INTEL unfair benchmarks???

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
They test .13 micron Athlon 2400+ with .9 micron Pentium 4 2800 MHz.

Then they test .65 micron core 2 duo with .9 micron Athlon 64 FX-62.

I think you need to have a good look at your units!! :lol:

Owned by a sockpuppet! It doesn't get much worse than this.

He just forgot to add a 0 to a few. Doesn't know the difference in MM vs. NM. The die size really doesn't make much difference except in temp. But it does have the option to add more to the cpu and keep the same size package. Like the AMD .65nm that might be out by december. It might Just get the better perfomance in less heat generated, not performance in apps. But is does allow something to be added by the die change, the question would be if they are or not. I've heard some ppl have a sample cpu of this lot of .65nm. wonder if anything changed other than lower temps?
The race is fun to watch. Intel had the lead in the beginning, until the Athlon, then amd had the lead for a long time until the Core 2 now. Fun watching the battle.

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
yer your not bias, you even said it your self your an amd fanboys, so were really gonna trust you? you need to know and ask what is best in the market or you will loose your money wasting it on amd stuff beacause you though that were the little knowning they are no longer.

runswindows95

Distinguished
Either way, competition drives the market. We benefit no matter who has the lead! I mean, you can pick up Athlons very cheap now and build a decent system for less money. I tempted to ditch my 630 Prescott for a AM2 X2 3800+.

chrislax20

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
Apparently in Sri Lanka they got some real good s***. If I only lived in Sri Lanka I could have my x800 doing 120 fps in oblivion with just a little help from some magic....well, you know.

casewhite

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
NMDante said:
how is that unfair benchmarking? We use benchmarks to compare processors. We know amd is behind. Amd will catch up and possibly get ahead of intel. It happens all the time. Intel got ahead with its pentium 3. Amd got ahead with its athlonxp and 64. The cycle repeats itself and so on and so on. So how does this have anything to do with unfair when we are just comparing 2 different processors?

The problem is the "bennchmarks" used by the enthusiast press are garbage and subject to manipulation. ANSI/ASTM have written testing proceedures that all legitmate testers are required to follow. In 1988, the Standard Performance Evaluation Comittee (now Corporation)http://www.spec.org/spec/ was formed for the purpose of

"The goal of SPEC is to ensure that the marketplace has a fair and useful set of metrics to differentiate candidate systems."

What I find interesting and disgusting is that the enthusiast press when questioned about why they don't use these standards, which are the ISO9001 standards, excuse themselves by saying that that is not what their readers are interested in. What the enthusiast press is saying we aren't going to comply because doing so will eliminate our ablity to manipulate the results in favor of the person who paid us to run the comparasion.. The testing results you see posted across the enthusiast press, including here at Tom's, are what is commonly called "Junk Science". Not a single test in the enthusiast press is done in accordance with ACCEPTED testing proceedures. There is a legal definition of "accepted" that means following the ANSI/ASTM guidelines and the press benchmarks don't meet it. So don't quibble about what accepted means.

What you're asking review sites to use is more for business apps and companies, not for consumers.

I mean, SPEC might work for the person wanting to upgrade his/her workstation, but not for Joe Computer Builder who wants to build a kick ass gaming rig. I mean, why do I need to know how fast my computer can run Maya, when I just want to see F.E.A.R. run smoothly? Or do I need to know my system's CAD capablity, when I just want Oblivion to run good? And does this SPEC use everyday programs like LameMP3 or video encoding?

I don't doubt that there is a standardize benchmark, but those might be more for server environment, and not so much for desktops.[/quote

If you are going to proclaim that one processor is superior to another you are going to test all its functions not just a few of the easiest ones. The engineers and computer scientists have three standing commitees for 18 years that design the tests to test a cpu underall conditions that reflect use across the board from doing data conversions to calculation of differential equations to 3D graphics While they may not use the exact same benchmark as you quote LAMEMP3, you would know the harder the test the better the results carry over. We wouldn't have these lame situtations where testers are having to backtrack on their results because they either fudged the setup or used an inappropriate or obsolete version of a test. If you want to run Oblivion that is fine, but qualify it as a nonaccredited test, you can legitmately say one procesosr is superior to her in Oblivion. That one test is hardly the basis to proclaim superiority of one cpu over another. You did learn about the scientific method in high school I hope. Nonaccredited tests should be treated the same way nonaccredited diplomas are. The greatest benefit of the accredited tests is that they point out the falacies of the other tests. If you see major disparities in results then you probably rethink the validity of your conclusion. Your analogy using Obliviion or LAMEMP3 is similar to the thought process of Pope Gregory VI on why the earth is the center of the universe despite the observations of Copernicus and Gallileo. The other advantage to the standardized tests is that the testers cannot rig the results without a very high probablity of getting caught when submitting them for review. There are components in that series of tests that will test the 3D rendering and 3D phyics more than any game out there. The best example is the Gauss cluster at Lawrence Livermore which is use to display the output on a 4Mx5M display.
http://www.llnl.gov/PAO/news/news_releases/2005/NR-05-11-04.html

A single cluster from that unit in gaming would destroy anything anybody here can dream up. It was designed and built using the very tests that you claim are useless.

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think you should of explain it like this King_Solomon. Both amd and intel have good years and bad years.

Intel had a killer chip with the plll Then amd pulled out a chip that was 1 ghz and was faster then plll. Then Intel seem to pull ahead with the P4 around the 2.0 ghz. This was also when Intel fan boys where going Ghz means everything Ya intel hit 2ghz frist. The Northwood was a killer chip for Intel. I still have one for my laptop. But it has the p4 3.4 ghz with extra l3 2mb cache. Then the prescott came out. But with high engery use it was not a very good computer and Intel and Intel fanboys seem to see ghz did not mean everything. They started to see Amd with lower ghz is faster with the k8 amd 64. Lower power and faster cpu.

I'm sorry but Amd fanboys back then act like the Intel fanboys right now. Stuff like Amd cooler and Faster and so on. Now it Intel faster and cooler. We can see how Fanboys make fools of them selfs. Now the faster chips are Intel conroe. Now there People now Making fools of them selfs on this site. But It shows how dumb people can be selfs acting like fanboys.

I like the fastest chip as they come out. It don't matter if it AMD or INTEL who are the fastest. But I also Like to hear about New stuff. But if it comes from one website. I don't care to hear about it. For me it not Fact. I also don't like the idea when One company Like Intel when conroe frist was shown to the public. There was only 2 sites that view the chip and it was setup by Intel.

What I learn in the last 16 Years is The Intel and Amd Leap frog each other. And Amd and intel Fanboys need to learn to deal with this. We Need this. If Amd or intel was always fastest. There prices will always be high. Remember Last year with Amd 64 where High price. Then when Intel Northwood was the highest price due to the fact it was the fastest chip out there. Now when the new Conroe chips Intel prices will go up.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Case,

I know and understand where you are coming from. But, the testing cycle you are talking about is done mostly at the design/prototype/modelling level and would typically not carry over/be released to the public. That level of testing would be extremely expensive for a publication and would also have cause for concern since at the end of a publicized test someone would have to SUMMARIZE it for journalistic output.

You start getting into scientific weights and measures with the GP (general population) and the reading of "vs." articles becomes just plain BORING. Boring does not sell... Telling people how their new proc will perfom in the newest game/application will in fact SELL.

I truly think you need to pull your head out of the !SO sand and understand that their is something called the consumer who is NOT ISO certified and for the most part could care less.

People on these forums may read white papers for fun. The guy off the street would walk away quickly...

Also,

How can you truly get a control environment with these tests given the changes in equipment almost daily. By the time you have completed your testing your control environment is now obsolete... Sorry but nobody wants to hear about how DDR2-533mhz memory or 7600gts operate with their new Conroe. They want to hear who screams and HOW LOUD.

Please never try to take up sales!!

agentbb007

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
Why bother to buy a computer.
Build a game u like in your mind. Play it on mind. U can mod it while playing as ur wish. Coz it is lot fast and good for ur mind.
Benchmark each others brain. Everyone himself/herself good at something. Most of the time they do not go on their best path.
This is same to the CPUs.

That's the part that really scared me, this guy is crazy...

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
If you are going to proclaim that one processor is superior to another you are going to test all its functions not just a few of the easiest ones. The engineers and computer scientists have three standing commitees for 18 years that design the tests to test a cpu underall conditions that reflect use across the board from doing data conversions to calculation of differential equations to 3D graphics While they may not use the exact same benchmark as you quote LAMEMP3, you would know the harder the test the better the results carry over. We wouldn't have these lame situtations where testers are having to backtrack on their results because they either fudged the setup or used an inappropriate or obsolete version of a test. If you want to run Oblivion that is fine, but qualify it as a nonaccredited test, you can legitmately say one procesosr is superior to her in Oblivion. That one test is hardly the basis to proclaim superiority of one cpu over another. You did learn about the scientific method in high school I hope. Nonaccredited tests should be treated the same way nonaccredited diplomas are. The greatest benefit of the accredited tests is that they point out the falacies of the other tests. If you see major disparities in results then you probably rethink the validity of your conclusion. Your analogy using Obliviion or LAMEMP3 is similar to the thought process of Pope Gregory VI on why the earth is the center of the universe despite the observations of Copernicus and Gallileo. The other advantage to the standardized tests is that the testers cannot rig the results without a very high probablity of getting caught when submitting them for review. There are components in that series of tests that will test the 3D rendering and 3D phyics more than any game out there. The best example is the Gauss cluster at Lawrence Livermore which is use to display the output on a 4Mx5M display.
http://www.llnl.gov/PAO/news/news_releases/2005/NR-05-11-04.html

A single cluster from that unit in gaming would destroy anything anybody here can dream up. It was designed and built using the very tests that you claim are useless.

That's just the point. No hardware review ever once stated that they did any benchmarking under any scientific sense. You're saying that all benchmarks need to run engineering and scientific apps, when I ask why?

These are desktop systems, not server clusters/farmers that are being tested. As far as I am concerned, if a benchmark test uses the same or close to the same hardware, there should not be an issue.

For servers, it's different. You're looking to get max terraflops/flips and see which one is fastest in running a hypotheical nuclear explosion, or forecast weather patterns. For the desktop, it's about programs that most people will use. I am sure the average user will care more about system that is faster in iTunes conversion and divX encoding, than simulated wave patterns in an ocean.

You're asking for these reviewers to pay upwards into the thousands to test a desktop, as well, which is insane.

If you want real-scientific based benchmarking done, no one is stopping you from starting that format for the desktop. I personally see it as overkill and pointless, since my desktop/laptop isn't for huge engineering/scientific problems, just budgetting, internet surfing, and gaming.

Oh, and you're little comments about me knowing scientific method and non-accreditted testing...whatever dude. It's a test of widely used applications, and shows differences in them. Geez...next you'd like to run 7 compliers at once as a benchmark.

casewhite

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/07/14/core2_duo_knocks_out_athlon_64/

For total POS testing I give you this. I think that someone here at Toms is grossly overstating the case since no Woodcrest yet has been able to win more than 25% of the spec.org tests and none of the Himeno tests from the Riken Institute in Japan which are even more difficult. That record for Himeno is held by the opteron 185. The AM2 didn't cut it either. Intel had plenty of opportunity in the testing that was done by DOE and DARPA between January and April 30 as part of the new round of computer purchases for the National Labs and the NSA.

http://accc.riken.jp/E/HPC_e/HimenoBMT_e/program1_e.htm

So let's just call the benchmarks that are published here what they are light weight random tests with no scientific controls. The Himeno test above includes a test for desktop cpus which I have linked for the benefit of everyone here so they can download it and see how good their stuff really is. .And for the benefit of the one individual who pm'd me accusing me of working for AMD I have never worked for a computer company in my life. I have been an IEEE certified engineer since 1975 and worked for the likes of Tenneco Inc , Standard Oil of Indiana, Valero Energy and the US government. Part of my last job at the government was ferreting out fraudulent contractors which meant dealing with fraudulent testing. And then sending the no accounts to prison. So I pretty well know if something is bogus when I see it.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Part of my last job at the government was ferreting out fraudulent contractors which meant dealing with fraudulent testing. And then sending the no accounts to prison. So I pretty well know if something is bogus when I see it.

Then please, PLEASE, go get EDS. NMCI is a phenominal waste of the taxpayers money.

Viperabyss

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006

For total POS testing I give you this. I think that someone here at Toms is grossly overstating the case since no Woodcrest yet has been able to win more than 25% of the spec.org tests and none of the Himeno tests from the Riken Institute in Japan which are even more difficult. That record for Himeno is held by the opteron 185. The AM2 didn't cut it either. Intel had plenty of opportunity in the testing that was done by DOE and DARPA between January and April 30 as part of the new round of computer purchases for the National Labs and the NSA.

So let's just call the benchmarks that are published here what they are light weight random tests with no scientific controls. The Himeno test above includes a test for desktop cpus which I have linked for the benefit of everyone here so they can download it and see how good their stuff really is. .And for the benefit of the one individual who pm'd me accusing me of working for AMD I have never worked for a computer company in my life. I have been an IEEE certified engineer since 1975 and worked for the likes of Tenneco Inc , Standard Oil of Indiana, Valero Energy and the US government. Part of my last job at the government was ferreting out fraudulent contractors which meant dealing with fraudulent testing. And then sending the no accounts to prison. So I pretty well know if something is bogus when I see it.
everyone here can claim anything. i can claim i'm a top researcher at CERN, and you have no way of knowing if i'm really a researcher or not.

but the thing is, if you put your statement up, be sure to back it with facts, with something real. not just "i worked at this compnay for so and so years, so what i say must be right".

cyborg_ninja-117

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006

everyone here can claim anything. i can claim i'm a top researcher at CERN, and you have no way of knowing if i'm really a researcher or not.

but the thing is, if you put your statement up, be sure to back it with facts, with something real. not just "i worked at this compnay for so and so years, so what i say must be right".

Bingo!

i work for intel... as a janitor!

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004
I have been an IEEE certified engineer since 1975 and worked for the likes of Tenneco Inc , Standard Oil of Indiana, Valero Energy and the US government.

Wow get over it. Just because you did all that doesn't mean you're right or not an idiot.