AMD/INTEL Video Encoding Tight Budget

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Like I'm sure his software program is going to role out a new version overnight with multithreaded in mind. :roll: Ya, right. Keep dreamin'.

That same ideology was used by other people when deciding between an Intel P4 and a comparable AMD64 three years ago. "Gotta get the 64 bit cpu because software is going to go 64 bit in the near future." Uh huh. Sure it did. Oh, wait...nope, my mistake. 64 bit still hasn't caught on yet. Ya, those guys buying those Athlon64 2800s for $200 sure were smart thinkers. Now they'll be ready when vista comes. Never mind that they're stuck with a dead platform using single channel memory, an agp card, and a cpu that is about as weak as the entry level $60 cpus offered today by Intel and AMD. No, let's not consider those things. I'm sure the A64 2800 is still plenty fast enough, and the 3 years spent suffering with sub par performance when they could have purchased a 2.8C for the same price was well worth it to now finally be able to use that all-important 64 bit feature. Well, whenever Vista is ready that is. :lol:

But hey, you go ahead and recommend a dual core cpu to run single threaded apps. Then, in three more years when the program finally is updated for multithreads, the guy can sit back and smile on how smart he was to buy a $180 dual core processor when he first built the rig. Never mind that cpus had since moved on to 16 cores per cpu, or that for $180 he could now get a processor that is twice as fast as the one he purchased three years ago. No, let's not think about that. It is much easier to live in a delusional state than it is to be realistic about these things.

DoctorPC

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Is camtasia studio even MULTITHREADED? If it's not, you're wasting your money on the dual core cpus and would benefit much more from a regular athlon 64. Make sure the software you plan to use is mulitthreaded before buying any hardware.

Thanks for the input JoeFriday. I don't pretend to know much and the Camtasia Studio app is just one app that I work with. I'm almost certain that it's not multithreaded. But in general that's just one app that I will be working with among many that deal with video and audio encoding from one format to another. And these are huge files. Like 400 to 500 MByte files. Plus I will be writting my own app's with MS Visual Studio, mainly utilizing C#. Anyways......

This is what my bro told me and why, (doing the type of work that I will be doing), I would benifit from having a dual core cpu. And I'm not trying to talk down to you. I'm simply quoting what my bro said.
There are threaded apps and there are THREADED apps. Lots of apps spin up a few extra threads to run different app components on, like running the UI on one thread, and a database connector on another one and the rest of the app on the main thread.

That type of concurrency is simple, and intended only to prevent "blocking" behavior. Blocking behavior is what happens, for example, when: you write a simple app that runs everything on a single thread and then you: click File, Save, and, because you're saving to a really slow flash drive, it takes 4mins to save a tiny file. During that time, the entire app UI is "blocked" from receiving and processing messages from windows, like instructions to redraw itself when you open another window on top of it.

I know you've seen apps like this that get trails and remainders of other windows imprinted on them until they're done thinking. That's because the UI and the "save" function are running on the same thread, and they "take turns" (in effect) listening for user or windows input. Many apps run the UI on the main thread (the default thread you get when any process starts) and only deliberately create new threads when performing a potentially "blocking" behavior like accessing anything over a network connection or performing potentially lengthy IO routines like reading/writing big files.

Again, that type of threading is relatively easy because you aren't trying to take advantage of multiple processors (and all of the issues regarding synchronization of variables across CPUs and shit like that), you're just trying to exploit the host operating system's ability to pre-emptively multitask and schedule threads.
Your whole OS won't freeze because some jerk opens a huge file from a slow flash drive right? Of course not. It just services hardware interrupts from the device and its driver(s) when asked to, and continues to run the rest of the processes and threads that are in the queue, including your UI thread.
The next most difficult type of concurrency is when you need to split a large data processing task across as many CPUs as possible. Unlike the "blocking" problem i just illustrated, your task won't benefit at all by being split onto just one CPU. A good example is the codec for any type of encryption of compression algorithm, be it network communication (SSL), video (DIVX/XVID/MPEG), or audio (MP3/WMA/AAC). These tasks tend to have distinct start and end points, so the algorithm can identify a "load" to split into threads when more than one cpu is available, which nearly always divides the task time by the number of available CPUs.
One thing that dual cpu configurations are really good at is servicing hardware interrupts. So doing things like burning CDs and scanning and ripping videos to disk works a lot better when you have more than one cpu or core.

The other selfish peice to this is that I love video games. Well not neccessarily all video games but the graphics. I love First Person Shooters and I'll admit it. I'm addicted to video Crack. So I want a system that can not only do all my work tasks (all at the same time) but display the games I like to play in the best fashion possible.

So, since I've pretty much been given the go ahead to build a machine to the spec's I deem, within a sizable budget, (which wasn't the case when I started this thread) wouldn't you do the same? I'm always open to others suggestings. Judging from the type of work I'm doing and around a $2500 budget, what would you suggest for hardware. My bro wants me to stick with AMD Dual Core and Nvidia 590 SLI setup.

But why go AMD when the Intel's E6600 for $350 is beating Athlons 64 FX-62 in almost all benchmarks I've seen? Which still cost's around $800-$1200. Knowing that I can spend some money, this looks to be the sweet spot to me.
NOW, I just wish that Nvidia would get their Nforce 590 SLI chipsets on these Intel boards sooooooner. When I moved I left my Xbox behind and I'm in need of a serious Video fixin.

UltraSharp 2407WFP 24-inch Widescreen Flat Panel LCD Monitor (Gives me all the realastate that I need for work and play.) $750
Could save a little bit by getting the Acer AL2416WD

Yeah, that's true but for $50 more dollars I can get the Dell 2407WFP that has all the nice bells and whistles for transferring and watching video from my camcorder. Plus an assortment of other goodies like the Card readers.
Check the amazing specs out HERE.
Compare Dells connectors:

• [*:fc2ef2149f]VGA
    [*:fc2ef2149f]DVI
    [*:fc2ef2149f]DC power connector for Dell SoundBar
    [*:fc2ef2149f]Composite Video
    [*:fc2ef2149f]S-Video
    [*:fc2ef2149f]Component
    [*:fc2ef2149f]USB Upstream Port
    [*:fc2ef2149f]Two USB Downstream Port
    [*:fc2ef2149f]An Additional 2 USB Downstream Ports on the side
    [*:fc2ef2149f]9-in-2 Media Card reader on the side

Too Acers:

• [*:fc2ef2149f]VGA
      [*:fc2ef2149f]DVI

GeForce 7950 GX2 $500
      Drop to an eVGA Geforce 7900GT KO and get a DX 10 card when they come out in 6 months or so. No sense in wasting over $500 on a video card you're going to only use for a short time.

Woops. Thanks. Can you recommend something else as powerful here. In my research I found somethings very troubling going on about this card here at Evga's forums.
      This forum thread is 3 pages with over 65 post's. Everyone complaining of cards dying on them and Evga looks to be blowing smoke somewhat.

2 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB Hard Drive
      Serial ATA-300, 7,200 RPM, 16MB (Raid 0) x2= $160
      Swap these for a couple of Seagate's 7200.10 320GB SATA2 drives.

Dhop.. Thanks.

I'm on the fence when it comes to which Mobo, Mem, Case and PSU to get especially with Core 2 Duo being so new.
      Mobo: Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 <--- Provides Kentsfield support as well.

Do you know when the Nvidia Nforce 590 SLI chipsets are going to start making it onto the Mobo's with the LGA775 sockets? My friend has got a nice AMD setup with the new 590 SLI chipset. I really like all of the features that chipset brings to the consumers.

Ram? 4 gigs would do me more than perfect.
      DO NOT get 4GB of ram until Vista arrives. 4GB won't be recognized by or fully utilized by any 32bit operating system, and XP x64 is a waste of time. Stick with this Corsair XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2-800 for now. Pick up another set if you end up switching to Vista down the road.

Thanks. At that price, 4 gigs would be to much money. Actually at that price I hope it cooks breakfeast for me as well. :D

PowerSupply? Don't want to skimp here. Want quality and something that allows for additional components to be added in the future. More HD's probably for a Raid 5 array.
      Antec Truepower 550W

Nice. That did very well in Tom's stress test.

Case? I want a Full Tower case with plenty of room. Nothing fancy.
      Antec P180

Nice. I like that.

Extra Case Fans? Not sure if I will need those or not. More than likely I will. I've heard that the vid card above gets pretty hot when under load for long periods.
      The P180 should have some fans, but if you want to add more (provided there is room), pick up a couple of these

With that case you listed I don't think I'll need any more fans than what comes with it. Oh yeah. Why doesn't Intel ship their CPU's with HSF's. I have to buy one of those as well.

Thanks as always.

The problems regarding eVGA's 7900GT cards have been admitted by eVGA. They have begun shipping cards without the widely known defect (I believe it was a voltage issue, although i'm not sure).

The Intel version of the NF 590 chipsets shouldn't be too far off, although I still say SLI is a complete waste of time and money.

On your last comment. Intel ships heatsinks with all of their retail boxed CPU's. If you saw a CPU advertised without one, it was an OEM product, or a scam. The stock heatsink will do fine on the Core 2's unless you're planning on overclocking by more than 800Mhz.

Itanium_Fanboi

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
He'd be better off with the X1600 XT for video encoding.

I agree with that. The X1000 Series do have AVIVO technology. Although I haven't tried it yet but it could really speed up video encoding and help offload the CPU.

Anyway since you are on budget, I suggest that for the meantime you stick with IGP since you can upgrade anytime. For AMD CPU's anyboard will do since the memory controller is integrated and won't differ in the performance however you'll invest in some good quality ram.

If you go the Intel way, chipsets do matter since they contain the memory controller. In the case of Conroe, any memory will do since it is not limited by the speed of ram.

Good luck. :wink:

TRENDING THREADS